Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2015 2:00:12 PM EDT
I don't see these come into my shop very often, so I figured I'd snap a few pictures of it to post up....

It certainly has a mix of parts. Colt BCG, FN barrel (that's about to be replaced), FN upper?

Just some neat history....
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
A1 lower
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
LK= LAR/Kaiser Aluminum
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A1 lower
View Quote

Yep, looks exactly like the one I was issued for BCT at FLW Mo. in 1982.  GM Hydramatic just like that one (didn't have the A2 overstamp and had "Auto" instead of "Burst").

Spent quite a few nights with a GM Hydramatic M16 keeping me company in my fart sack.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

A1 lower
View Quote

I think all the hydramatics are A1's.

What's the backstory?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What's the backstory?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A1 lower

What's the backstory?

Can't say really. It's been in the army inventory and was converted to an A2 a few years back. It's here at my shop now because the barrel ate the bore erosion gage past the Reject line. Now it's retired from active duty service and works for the FL National Guard.... The unit this comes from, the M16s get lent out to units that train here.. So it's rode pretty hard....
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep, looks exactly like the one I was issued for BCT at FLW Mo. in 1982.  GM Hydramatic just like that one (didn't have the A2 overstamp and had "Auto" instead of "Burst").

Spent quite a few nights with a GM Hydramatic M16 keeping me company in my fart sack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A1 lower

LOL I think I got issued the same rifle at FLW in 1991. Had no finish left on the lower and was loose as hell.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It certainly appears that it was a full-auto M16A1 lower originally. It was most likely repurposed to be used for a M16A2. It looks like the AUTO was machined down and BURST was stamped in. Note the recess where AUTO would have been. Additionally, the font used for BURST on the left side is the same as SAFE, SEMI, and BURST on the right side. This font differs from the SAFE and SEMI on the left side. The A1 lower would have not had anything stamped on the ride side. The selector was changed out as well. M16A1s had a no-tick selector. You can see where the it was marked M16A1. The "1" is just visible just in the front part of where the "2" was stamped. Besides, the "2" is a different font.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the guys in my OSUT platoon had a hydramatic that was restamped A4. That was Ft. Knox '08.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Can you get a better close up pic of that IUID sticker?

William
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

William
View Quote

Sure! You'll just have to wait until Monday when I go back in to work.

And yep, there were many M16A1s that were repurposed into M16A2s. We still have the SAFE, SEMI and BURST stamps if we ever happened to come across an unconverted M16A1...... Which is extemely, highly unlikely.....

Just thought I'd post up the retro turned "modern" M16.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw a few of these my last tour, back in 2010. My company had a few M16A2s, and 2-3 of those were M16A1s that had been reworked. I wish I had taken some pictures.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Very cool. A buddy of mine has a transferable in the original configuration. He's resisted the urge to "modernize" it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It certainly appears that it was a full-auto M16A1 lower originally. It was most likely repurposed to be used for a M16A2. It looks like the AUTO was machined down and BURST was stamped in. Note the recess where AUTO would have been. Additionally, the font used for BURST on the left side is the same as SAFE, SEMI, and BURST on the right side. This font differs from the SAFE and SEMI on the left side. The A1 lower would have not had anything stamped on the ride side. The selector was changed out as well. M16A1s had a no-tick selector. You can see where the it was marked M16A1. The "1" is just visible just in the front part of where the "2" was stamped. Besides, the "2" is a different font.
View Quote

From what i read awhile back, General Motors made them from 1969-71.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think in the that time frame they made a total of 469,000..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think in the that time frame they made a total of 469,000..

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like it's stamped ANAD 4 98.

So somebody in Anniston did the initial rework. And it sounds about right for the timeframe. I had a Hydramatic A1  in the USAR in 1993.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And yep, there were many M16A1s that were repurposed into M16A2s. We still have the SAFE, SEMI and BURST stamps if we ever happened to come across an unconverted M16A1...... Which is extemely, highly unlikely.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

William

Cool, looking forward to it. Thanks!!

William
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Here ya go!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone ever attempted to make a timeline/database for ANAD conversions? The rebuilds/conversions always interest me since they have so much more history to them than factory build rifles. I've seen dates in the early 80s which must be A1 rebuilds, and then dates in the 90s which must be A2 conversions or rebuilds IMO.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever attempted to make a timeline/database for ANAD conversions? The rebuilds/conversions always interest me since they have so much more history to them than factory build rifles. I've seen dates in the early 80s which must be A1 rebuilds, and then dates in the 90s which must be A2 conversions or rebuilds IMO.
View Quote

I have lots of ANAD rebuilds in my vault. Bunches of different dates on them too..... Right now I have a Colt 193XXXX serial number converted to A2 as well...

Colts and FNs of almost all serial number blocks. I certainly can't tell which ones are completely original versus what's been rebuilt... But I can generally take pics of markings and such...
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have lots of ANAD rebuilds in my vault. Bunches of different dates on them too..... Right now I have a Colt 193XXXX serial number converted to A2 as well...

Colts and FNs of almost all serial number blocks. I certainly can't tell which ones are completely original versus what's been rebuilt... But I can generally take pics of markings and such...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have a chance I'm mostly just curious about what the ANAD dates range from and what the make/model of the original receiver is. Anything else on top (note whether electropenciled selector markings or stamped, overstamped or milled out and restamped A2/A4 markings, etc) would be even better!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#22]

SWEET!! Thank you, I've been trying to find a close up of the AF version for a while now. Also for the ANAD dates they go back quite a while, oldest I ever saw was ~'73 or '74, old 601.

William
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#23]
That's the coolest.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#24]
You're right, I have yet to see one fail barrel erosion.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Most of my state's older receivers are our 203 rifles.  Hydramatics, Harrington & Richardsons, and teh mysterious Balimoy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#26]
The last ARNG unit I was in had ANAD rebuilds. I took a 1968 Colt to the range and shot expert with it. I noticed several had been rebuilt twice. We had one H&R, three Hydomatics, a couple Balimoys and the rest were Colt A1s.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A1 lower

Same here
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Same here
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A1 lower

Same here
I've seen them in service as recently as 2011.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top