Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2015 6:53:11 PM EDT
This build started as a desire to have a throw-back type of rifle, but morphed into a durability/SHTF/HD carbine instead.

So far I have the upper shell and barrel assembly, will be adding the BCG next.

Everything but the A2 upper receiver, charging handle, safety selector, and furniture will likely be PSA since I have a very nice CHF barrel already...will be building/buying a PSA lower later on when their prices come back down to reality.

Once its complete, I'll decide if I want to keep the stock furniture or go with Magpul.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking good so far.  BTW, love what you did to that tear-drop F/A--it's the illusive early prototype A2 small-head F/A
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The stock furniture was good enough for everything from Dien anh to Baghdad if that didn't qualify for SHTF I don't know what does.  Just my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
midlength fixed stock thread for inspiration.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The stock furniture was good enough for everything from Dien anh to Baghdad if that didn't qualify for SHTF I don't know what does.  Just my humble opinion.
View Quote

Very true, plus the retro look is sweet, but I have a lot of Magpul pieces parts laying around my shop, and I like the feel better anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
midlength fixed stock thread for inspiration.
View Quote

Nice, but not really looking to go with a fixed stock, more likely an ACS-L.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Updated with a lower, keeping it like this for now but may go Magpul later on.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Who's hand guards???
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who's hand guards???
View Quote

Probably PSA
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure, likely PSA, got the upper with an MOE and added the used stock hand guards later.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#10]

I for one, think that the Mid-Length A2/A4 Carbine makes one fine HD/SHTF/All Around Defense, Rifle/Carbine, whether it has a Fixed or Collapsible Stock.

Just make sure you have plenty of Magazines available, and a good stock pile of ammo, and a LOT OF PRACTICE under your belt.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I for one, think that the Mid-Length A2/A4 Carbine makes one fine HD/SHTF/All Around Defense, Rifle/Carbine, whether it has a Fixed or Collapsible Stock.

Just make sure you have plenty of Magazines available, and a good stock pile of ammo, and a LOT OF PRACTICE under your belt.

View Quote

Hence why its my next build
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks good except for the F marked FSB!  I personally prefer A1 length (but not material) rifle stocks on my mid length A2s.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]

I originally used a CavArms Black C1 A1 Length stock on my Mid-Length A2, then I got a nice type "E" A1 Stock and put an A2 Butt Plate on it.  It work's perfect for me.

The "F" FSB doesn't really matter that much, because the difference is only 1mm, and you can adjust for the difference, then file for what you can't adjust for.

Also, I switched out the Front Sight with a NM Front Sight from White Oak Armament, for a finer sight picture.  And the Rear Sight Assembly has been switched out for a

DPMS 1/2 X 1/4 NM Rear Sight Assembly, that I bought at one of my LGS from their junk bin for $25, because of 2 missing detent springs & ball bearings.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#14]
An A1 stock is a possibility, would be a nice addition for sure.

Put a couple hundred rounds through it over the weekend, runs great.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go to a 200 yard range soon and dial in my zero a bit more...likely will take my 14.5" along too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I originally used a CavArms Black C1 A1 Length stock on my Mid-Length A2, then I got a nice type "E" A1 Stock and put an A2 Butt Plate on it.  It work's perfect for me.

The "F" FSB doesn't really matter that much, because the difference is only 1mm, and you can adjust for the difference, then file for what you can't adjust for.

Also, I switched out the Front Sight with a NM Front Sight from White Oak Armament, for a finer sight picture.  And the Rear Sight Assembly has been switched out for a

DPMS 1/2 X 1/4 NM Rear Sight Assembly, that I bought at one of my LGS from their junk bin for $25, because of 2 missing detent springs & ball bearings.  

View Quote

I did mine just the opposite.  I started with an A1 stock and later substituted a Fulton Arms/CavArms C1.  My mid-length isn't a "copy" of anything and the A1stock is more valuable to me for a retro build.  I also agree about the F marked front sight; it is a pragmatic issue and several turns of the front sight pin works fine.  In my case I am using a flat=top upper with carry handle anyway.  My future son-in-law and I both built mid-length A2/A3's at the same time and we were both impressed with the practicality of the design.  However, I must admit they (the rifles) are both dead sexy.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top