Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2015 5:29:43 PM EDT
Anyone know where to find an A2 upper assembly??  at a decent prIce??
i was thinking of building an A2 but dont have much time between work and school i already have a complete lower on my other rifle.
just looking for a complete upper i can throw on every once and awhile.

hopefully a upper assembly around $400 if possible. thanks everyone!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The only one I can find in that price range is from Del-ton, but it's not in stock.

Here's one for $425, but it's a flattop. You can always get a carry handle mount.

JSE Surplus
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Model1 sales will get you there at $380, but you will need to buy one of their semi auto bolt carriers or source a full auto elsewhere

ETA:
here
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the one through model1 the closest to milspec?? such as barrel contour and twist rate?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#4]
it is actually an additional $35 for the A2 upper. The link is above.

20'' AR15 Standard Upper Half, Government Profile Barrel, 5.56 NATO, chrome lined chamber & bore, 1-7 twist, A2 flashider

Yes, correct profile, twist and chrome lined.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]
CDNN currently has stripped A2 DPMS uppers for $40.  Even if you add the extra parts the whole thing should be under $90
http://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials/ar15-upper-receiver-a2-stripped-fixed-carry-dpms.html#.VPHL8Tw5Drc

If you are looking for a complete upper half, Grab-A-Gun has the DPMS for $412
http://grabagun.com/dpms-upper-a2-223-16-pre-ban.html
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
CDNN's A2 uppers are a smoking deal, but you have to figure in the $10 postage, and that they don't have any of the parts to build the upper in stock.  So you're looking at another $40 or more for the sights (flat top A2 sights are different), $15-20 for a cheap port cover and forward assist, plus the shipping for both from another vendor - call it about $10.  Pretty quickly you're at about $120 just for the upper receiver parts that still need to be assembled.  

A good, new 20" government profile A2 barrel with 1-7 twist, chrome lined, with the front sight base installed is going to start around $250.  If it doesn't include the muzzle device, crush washer/peel washer, sling swivel & rivet, sight post, detent, and spring, you can add another $20.  Figure $10-15 for a gas tube, another $20 for handguards, $10 for a delta ring assembly...  Then are you going to reuse a bolt carrier from another upper?  If not, add another $80-100.
I'm not really seeing how a person could build a real A2 upper half for less than about $500 without resorting to used parts, or cutting corners (1-9 twist, non-chrome, HBAR, etc).  That also assumes you already have an upper vise block, barrel wrench, torque wrench, punches, hammers, etc.

Has anyone gotten an A2 upper from Model 1 recently?  A year ago when a buddy was looking for one, he put in his order and they didn't actually have any A2 uppers on hand.  Even though he ended up with a flat top it seems like a decent quality rifle.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I got an A2 Hbar upper from Model1 inJanuary. Took 4 days from order to delivery.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered a stripped A2 off CDNN's website and will be getting the DPMS upper parts kit from DPMS. The kit comes with the sights, forward assist assembly, port door assembly, and a charging handle for $50.. don't think you can beat a complete A2 upper with charging handle for a c note.

Barrel is going to be trickier I have a feeling since I'm a bit persnickety about such things.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:59:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered a stripped A2 off CDNN's website and will be getting the DPMS upper parts kit from DPMS. The kit comes with the sights, forward assist assembly, port door assembly, and a charging handle for $50.. don't think you can beat a complete A2 upper with charging handle for a c note.

Barrel is going to be trickier I have a feeling since I'm a bit persnickety about such things.
View Quote

That is what I did. It should be here today. The total came it to $99.99 for everything. I am doing a carbine, so I went with a 14.5 barrel.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top