Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2015 6:11:50 PM EDT
If I didn't already have an FN M16A2 upper, I'd pick one of these babies up in a heart beat  Come to think of it, I might pick one up for and put it on an A1 lower and call it an ANAD rebuild

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1407546_WTS__CAPCO_A2_Uppers__20_Barrel_P_MP_5_56_NATO_1_7.html

These are NOT mine and I'm NOT affiliated with seller.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at these at Monroeville last November when they were $200.  Most of them  looked OK, ...with use, but not really all that beat.  Finally blew  'em off.  I suppose at $200. they were an OK deal (no BCG or CH).   At the current price, I'd go new parts.  The ones at M'ville were offered by Tony's Custom Uppers, and he's out of 'em as of the last time I checked.   If these come up again at the lower price, and I happen to be live that week, I just might do it, for shits and giggles !
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw those as well. Not interested at that price, but a cool item anyway. Not something you see all the time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought that's who Capco was.

I live an hour from Grand Junction where these were made so it'd be cool to have one. Especially since I have a 603 and 604 clone from the parts kits when these were being converted.

But i'll have to pass.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt they would have received a lot of ill treatment.  By rights to make this a correct piece, you'd have to slap it on a Colt A1 lower, or maybe an H&R, GM Hydro, or Balimoy.  I got nothing like that, so some kind of compromise would have to be made..Perhaps a 80% A2 lower with some cool markings !  
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought one of these from this seller at a MI gunshow last weekend.
I checked all the chambers and bores and they all look great. I don't think these were fired much.

Actually, my purchase is the reason I'm lurking in the A2 section. I need to built this out.

View Quote

Grab an A1 lower and some ANAD stamps
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Did yall not read the part of the discription where he said the barrel nut felt loose?!?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did yall not read the part of the discription where he said the barrel nut felt loose?!?
View Quote

I did. Hence the "not interested at that price" remark. Easy fix if you have the tools.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I did. Hence the "not interested at that price" remark. Easy fix if you have the tools.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. I have the tools but it still makes you wonder.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember hearing some bad things about the USAF contract A2 conversion uppers when I was in the reserves. IIRC, our CATM guys got some that were way out of spec and the whole lot got returned. They ended up getting the issue fixed, but it was a big mess. I'm not sure who the vendor was.

Maybe some of the CATM guys can enlighten us, but I would be wary of these.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember hearing some bad things about the USAF contract A2 conversion uppers when I was in the reserves. IIRC, our CATM guys got some that were way out of spec and the whole lot got returned. They ended up getting the issue fixed, but it was a big mess. I'm not sure who the vendor was.

View Quote

Those would be EMCO barrels. The bad ones were all supposed to be destroyed but they still pop up from time to time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Those would be EMCO barrels. The bad ones were all supposed to be destroyed but they still pop up from time to time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Curious, does anyone know when these would have been contracted?
Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Curious, does anyone know when these would have been contracted?
Thanks,
View Quote

CAPCO Inc., Grand Junction, Colo., is being awarded a $22,740,040 firm-fixed-price contract for 90,181 M16A1 modification kits in support of the M16 rifle. Work will be performed in Grand Junction, Colo., and is expected to be completed by March 17, 2004. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. There were two bids solicited on March 12, and two bids were received. The U.S. Army Tank-Automotive & Armaments Command, Rock Island, Ill., is the contracting activity (DAAE20-01-C-0061).
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Now I'm starting to wish maybe I should have grabbed one !    At $200.  !  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#16]
First mod kits came off the production line in the Spring of 1997, as part of their first contract for those kits and I believe they continued to produce them (under one or more subsequent contract(s) as shown above) until sometime in 2004 or 2005:
http://www.defense.gov/contracts/contract.aspx?contractid=1005
Capco Inc.*, Grand Junction, Colo., is being awarded a
$5,094,384 modification to a firm fixed price contract for the
evaluated option requirement of 24,144 each M16A1 Rifle
Modification Kits in support of the M16A2 Rifle.  
Work will be
performed in Grand Junction, Colo., and is expected to be
completed by April 28, 1999.  
Contract funds will not expire at
the end of the current fiscal year.  
There were 65 bids solicited
on May 11, 1995, and five bids were received.  
The contracting
activity is the U.S. Army Tank-automotive & Armaments Command,
Rock Island, Ill. (DAAE20-95-C-0377).

View Quote

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=2553
Industry News: October 2001
By Robert Hausman
CAPCO Replaces Colt as Air Force’s M-16A2 Kit Supplier
A small, privately-held company, CAPCO, Inc., of Grand Junction,
Colorado, has won a $22.7 million U.S. Air Force contract to produce
upgrades for M-16 rifles. CAPCO defeated gunmaking giant, Colt’s
Manufacturing, Inc., after a convoluted, three year battle, CAPCO vice
president, John Younker said.

"It’s a nice contract and we’re pleased to get it,” Younker said. "It
means the Air Force can upgrade to the M-16A2 model at half the cost of
buying new.” Younker added the Army’s Tank Automotive & Armaments
Command first bid the job in 1998. CAPCO lost out to Colt, which was the
low bidder. However, Colt’s bid was apparently too low, Younker
disclosed, as he said Colt defaulted. So the Army rebid the job, and
this time CAPCO got the work.

The M-16A2 modification kits include new upper receivers, barrel
assemblies, hand guards, butt stocks, pistol grips and firing mechanism
components. The parts improve the rifle’s accuracy and range. CAPCO’s
number of employees will increase from about 115 to about 150 thanks to
the contract. "This contract is for 30 months of product shipment
starting in November,” Younker added.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I wonder how capco measures up on the CHART(tm)?

I keed.

Really thought about picking one up but Ive always had colt or FNH when it came to m16s.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#18]
These are mentioned in BR2, but not with any great detail.....kinda like the whole A2 chapter in this book.   Would be neat to get more skinny on how this all came together.   Between the two Black Rifle sites, there has been a great deal of info brought to light on this version of the weapon, but getting it all in one source would be most excellent !  
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's a listing on EE for a Capco upper, barrel and some new parts thrown in for $351 shipped:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1425385_USGI_M16A2_Capco_Anchor_Harvey_20_Government_Profile_Assembly__351_00_PLUS_Bolt_and_New_Parts.html
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I should buy it back as that was the the second best one I had.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here's a listing on EE for a Capco upper, barrel and some new parts thrown in for $351 shipped:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1425385_USGI_M16A2_Capco_Anchor_Harvey_20_Government_Profile_Assembly__351_00_PLUS_Bolt_and_New_Parts.html
View Quote

I was gonna offer this guy $275.00 for that pile of parts...... It seems he would take anything right about now, I wonder why he thought tearing it down would help it sell? If anything, it will scare away half the potential buyers right off the bat.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Done tried it, He won't take less than 350 for the parts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was gonna offer this guy $275.00 for that pile of parts...... It seems he would take anything right about now, I wonder why he thought tearing it down would help it sell? If anything, it will scare away half the potential buyers right off the bat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HipShot. I truly appreciate you dealing off the radar with me on the Delta assembly but I'm not so sure how I feel about your post here in regards to the reasoning behind me disassembling my Upper. I will get to you second. Now KyGuns, your response will be much easier for me. I am not retired nor do I build platforms for a living or as a side job. I actually work 15 hour days 6 days a week. So to have your large lot of spare parts is not of any value to me. I was polite in my response to you, or at least I thought that I was....? However, it appears that I wasn't.

HipShot, I disassembled the weapon to have the upper refinished along with my McKay lower so the two would match. Also, the handguards moved around A LOT with the old delta ring assembly and handguard cap. So I was going to try and kill two birds sort of thing. Which turns out to be a great idea as I found a considerable amount of rust under the FSB, etc. I cleaned everything up and then realized that I was going to need more parts, etc after it was refinished. So I offered in my OP to either ship the assembly as parts or reassembled. Buyers choice. I was completely unaware of the extremely fragile and delicate balance of AR15A2 owners. Referring to my upper as a pile of parts is like saying a mound of shit in my own opinion. But to restore order, put Excalibur back into the stone and reassembled the upper with the new delta springs, retaining clip and used the original delta ring to keep up with the original look. I replaced the handguard cap as well. The handguard is solid now. I am new to this whole forum business and I obviously don't have a lot of arfcom 'clout'. But if there was ever a place where 'lowballing' came into play, it is with my upper. This is an ORIGINAL Government A2 Upper. If people want to build an A2 with parts from here and there, then let them. Just because you can build something similar to another item, that doesn't make it the original item.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

HipShot. I truly appreciate you dealing off the radar with me on the Delta assembly but I'm not so sure how I feel about your post here in regards to the reasoning behind me disassembling my Upper. I will get to you second. Now KyGuns, your response will be much easier for me. I am not retired nor do I build platforms for a living or as a side job. I actually work 15 hour days 6 days a week. So to have your large lot of spare parts is not of any value to me. I was polite in my response to you, or at least I thought that I was....? However, it appears that I wasn't.

HipShot, I disassembled the weapon to have the upper refinished along with my McKay lower so the two would match. Also, the handguards moved around A LOT with the old delta ring assembly and handguard cap. So I was going to try and kill two birds sort of thing. Which turns out to be a great idea as I found a considerable amount of rust under the FSB, etc. I cleaned everything up and then realized that I was going to need more parts, etc after it was refinished. So I offered in my OP to either ship the assembly as parts or reassembled. Buyers choice. I was completely unaware of the extremely fragile and delicate balance of AR15A2 owners. Referring to my upper as a pile of parts is like saying a mound of shit in my own opinion. But to restore order, put Excalibur back into the stone and reassembled the upper with the new delta springs, retaining clip and used the original delta ring to keep up with the original look. I replaced the handguard cap as well. The handguard is solid now. I am new to this whole forum business and I obviously don't have a lot of arfcom 'clout'. But if there was ever a place where 'lowballing' came into play, it is with my upper. This is an ORIGINAL Government A2 Upper. If people want to build an A2 with parts from here and there, then let them. Just because you can build something similar to another item, that doesn't make it the original item.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand behind my words but meant no offense, as a seller I know without a doubt that if you had that upper assembled, it probably would have sold by now. Pretty much what I said in my IM to you as well... I know these uppers are Military contract A2's and in no way would I consider them shit or substandard. When dealing with the FSB, people get scared off when they see it's been removed, etc.... You lose half or even more of your customer base that don't have the tools or knowledge to reassemble your upper.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I was passing on info you told me, that was all. You were nothing but nice in your response. I don't see where you'd think I thought you weren't. You sell at your price. That's how it goes anywhere in the free enterprise world.

You'll sell em, it just sometimes takes time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was passing on info you told me, that was all. You were nothing but nice in your response. I don't see where you'd think I thought you weren't. You sell at your price. That's how it goes anywhere in the free enterprise world.

View Quote

I think when I referred to the upper as a pile of parts he was offended. Truth hurts sometimes, and now that it is built, I bet he sells it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think when I referred to the upper as a pile of parts he was offended. Truth hurts sometimes, and now that it is built, I bet he sellers it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think when I referred to the upper as a pile of parts he was offended. Truth hurts sometimes, and now that it is built, I bet he sellers it.

Here's the link to the re-listing http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1431237_USGI_M16A2_Capco_Anchor_Harvey_20_Government_Profile_Assembly_w__NEW_FN_A2_Stock_Body_and_More__375.html    

With the attitude in the ad, he may be sitting on it longer .

The Original AD  "USGI_M16A2_Capco_Anchor" which is now closed  on EE   I hope he cleans up the comments and tone in the new listing.  Then has a successful sale for both the buyer and  the seller. Right now I just feels it comes off as hostile and someone  that would be difficult to deal with. The comment about "I can sit on it"  irregardless of price makes it sound like he has priced it high, especially to someone that doesn't fully know what things cost but wants into the "A2" family.  Who wouldn't want to be....   .... The EE is known as a  mix of fair prices, deals, and absurd prices....

You were right on the money about cutting the market for buyers by disassembling it, the gas port alignments is a big stepping stone.   I"m  buying a tool to help with the FSB pins in my future plans , but messing with the sights by  aligning gas ports and installing the assembly is just beyond what I would feel safe doing presently. I can put on my own assembled barrel and build a lower which I know isn't hard but is a step over the group behind me learning the basics. The ones who are  changing  a stock or hand guards out feel like they just did a major job.  Even  taking off & putting back on the pins on the front sight with a simple replace, seems questionable for getting it right.  To just switch end caps styles out. I prefer to be safer and under rate my ability as I learn.

A disabled and reassembled upper (how many times in the life of the parts?), kind feels like buying someone else's Frankenstein gun,  which is like buying reloaded ammunition. Make sure you feel confident about who does the work.There is a fatigue factor in the assemble and disassembly to calculate for metal fatigue, on top of the rounds through it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Here's the link to the re-listing http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1431237_USGI_M16A2_Capco_Anchor_Harvey_20_Government_Profile_Assembly_w__NEW_FN_A2_Stock_Body_and_More__375.html    

The Original AD  "USGI_M16A2_Capco_Anchor" which is now closed  on EE   I hope he cleans up the comments and tone in the new listing.  Then has a successful sale for both the buyer and  the seller. Right now I just feels it comes off as hostile and someone  that would be difficult to deal with. The comment about "I can sit on it"  irregardless of price makes it sound like he has priced it high, especially to someone that doesn't fully know what things cost but wants into the "A2" family.  Who wouldn't want to be....   .... The EE is known as a  mix of fair prices, deals, and absurd prices....

You were right on the money about cutting the market for buyers by disassembling it, the gas port alignments is a big stepping stone.   I"m  buying a tool to help with the FSB pins in my future plans , but messing with the sights by  aligning gas ports and installing the assembly is just beyond what I would feel safe doing presently. I can put on my own assembled barrel and build a lower which I know isn't hard but is a step over the group behind me learning the basics. The ones who are  changing  a stock or hand guards out feel like they just did a major job.  Even  taking off & putting back on the pins on the front sight with a simple replace, seems questionable for getting it right.  To just switch end caps styles out. I prefer to be safer and under rate my ability as I learn.

A disabled and reassembled upper (how many times in the life of the parts?), kind feels like buying someone else's Frankenstein gun,  which is like buying reloaded ammunition. Make sure you feel confident about who does the work.There is a fatigue factor in the assemble and disassembly to calculate for metal fatigue, on top of the rounds through it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think when I referred to the upper as a pile of parts he was offended. Truth hurts sometimes, and now that it is built, I bet he sells it.

Very True. I didn't read the new Ad until just now, your right.....
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top