Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2015 4:28:03 PM EDT
CDNN had these cheap, but I need the kit to finish it out.  Where's a good place to get the kit?  Does it have to be, or is it better if it is, DPMS brand?

I'm kinda new to the A2 world, but I decided to build a really strange beast:
7.62x39 mock dissy with the A2 upper (my other AR's are flattop with carry handle added).

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Let us know how the quality of the upper is.  I'm considering getting the DPMS A1/C7 stripped upper for a build.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The DPMS website A2 upper kits for about $50, includes a charging handle that you could sell for $15.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The DPMS website A2 upper kits for about $50, includes a charging handle that you could sell for $15.
View Quote

I'll check that out. Thx.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Let us know how the quality of the upper is.  I'm considering getting the DPMS A1/C7 stripped upper for a build.
View Quote

The uppers are gtg, I am using one on my a2 build
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is gtg as well. DPMS had slow ship times, but my upper is excellent fit and finish, upper parts/sight assembly went together perfectly without a hitch
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Somebody had Rock River A2 rear sights minus the index screw for $30 each on ebay. I bought 2.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
just curious can you take the guts out of a removable carry handle and put it into the stripped upper?
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the shaft is shorter, and the wheel says 6/3.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I ended up ordering a kit directly from dpms.  $50 with free shipping.  

The upper came yesterday.  Looking forward to getting this build going, but I'm on hold until I can find an Armalite clamp on FSB.

Also, the quality of the upper seems very good.  Certainly no issues with finish, but I haven't tried to fit it to a lower, put the sight kit in, or even slide a bolt on yet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]
You'll need a tool to depress the lower spring to install the pin. There's a good video on Brownells site on how to assemble an A2 rear sight. I bought their tool but I'm sure you could make something that would work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Applying grease to the ball bearings helps keep them in place too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I have no clue why all the A2 sight install guides say you have to have a special tool for the spring.  Even the USGI manuals say you can do it with a small screwdriver holding the spring while you insert the pin.

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have no clue why all the A2 sight install guides say you have to have a special tool for the spring.  Even the USGI manuals say you can do it with a small screwdriver holding the spring while you insert the pin.

View Quote

I tried doing it with a screwdriver, then needle nose pliers. No go. And I destroyed my spring because I drove the pin through it rather than under it. I bought the tool and a new spring from Fulton armory and installed it in about 2 minutes with perfect results. If anyone in Jacksonville FL needs to borrow the tool let me know. I wouldn't attempt it without the tool unless you have a few extra elevation springs laying around. The tool sold by Fulton is made by Badger Ordnance.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did exactly that. It worked fine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#16]
The step by step instructions are nice.  It looks like the only challenge is holding the large spring in place while installing the roll pin.  At this point I don't anticipate doing more of these, so I'm a little reluctant to spend the time and money to get a special tool.

I would think the issue is that using a screwdriver to hold it would block the roll pin from going through.  The tool has a slot so that it can hold the spring up around the edges without blocking the spring.

I think I could buy some cheap metal tubing of the same diameter to accomplish the same thing.  Heck, a wood dowel might suffice.

Thoughts?  How did those of you who used a screwdriver  allow the pin to get past it....offset to one side?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The step by step instructions are nice.  It looks like the only challenge is holding the large spring in place while installing the roll pin.  At this point I don't anticipate doing more of these, so I'm a little reluctant to spend the time and money to get a special tool.

I would think the issue is that using a screwdriver to hold it would block the roll pin from going through.  The tool has a slot so that it can hold the spring up around the edges without blocking the spring.

I think I could buy some cheap metal tubing of the same diameter to accomplish the same thing.  Heck, a wood dowel might suffice.

Thoughts?  How did those of you who used a screwdriver  allow the pin to get past it....offset to one side?
View Quote

After doing several of these, I'd think it would be a hassle using a screwdriver. The simple tool from Brownells is $10 and makes it very easy. Start the pin, compress the spring with the tool and tap the pin  in to hold the spring.

I think you could cut the tip off of a screwdriver and cut a slot into it to do the same thing. The spring does take a bit of force to depress and hold so having something with a handle helps.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't need a tool. For my last A2 upper, I started the roll pin in on one side, then with one hand pushed the spring down with a steel punch; from the other side at the same time, I pushed another punch through the opposite side roll pin hole, which in my case was long enough to reach across the inside of the upper and used that to hold down spring. Tapped the roll pin through while maintaining pressure on punch to hold spring down, done. Only took me 2 tries.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Same here.  Start the pin, drop in the spring, compress the side closest to the started roll pin with a small screwdriver, tap the pin in capturing the spring and then across the spring until it's nearly to the other side of the coil, then push the loose side of the coil down and push the pin the rest of the way in.  First one I did took about five minutes.

If you're only going to assemble one A2 style sight, and you can't do it without a special tool, you'd probably be money ahead to buy an assembled upper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I was thinking about this over the weekend as I was driving to Kansas City.  I'm going to look for either a metal tube or a wood dowel of the correct diameter.  I'll put a slot in one end to accomodate the roll pin.  That way I can push the spring well clear of the roll pin holes and put the pin in easily.  

The other idea I had, but I need to look at the receiver again to see if it will work, was to drill a hole perpendicular to the slot farther down the dowel (about where the the far side of the inside of the receiver would be when the spring is properly compressed).  Then I could slide something in that hole (hex key, for example) that would go into the inside of the receiver.  The idea being that it would hold the dowel (and spring) in place, freeing up both hands to work with the roll pin.

When I look at the receiver, I'll solidify the plan.  If I go with this approach, I'll post pictures.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#21]
If you look at the tool and have a cheap junk screwdriver, you can dremel out the middle to make a fork of sorts. Just like the tool, it doesn't cost anything and you will have it for future use.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#22]
OK, she's done.  I came up with a creative solution for the main spring.  I was going to slot a wood dowel to do it, but I didn't want to run to the store.  Looking through my tool selection, I saw the 1/4" clevis pin that I use to install the pivot pin on lowers.  I used a hack saw to cut basically 3 saw kerf wide slot in the top down to one of the holes.  Then I used a really small rat tail file to clean it up.  I ended up with a 1/4" round metal bar with a slot at the end.

Then I eyeballed how far to insert to get the spring clear (about where the head of the clevis pin was even with the outside of the upper).  From there it was pretty easy.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top