Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2015 11:23:55 PM EDT
I turned 18 this past August and decided I wanted to build an AR15.

I need a place to help me keep up with my project, and figured y'all might like to see some pictures as I go along

I guess you could call this a KISS gun, I don't really care for all the flashlights and lasers and such.
Its just a gun I'll keep behind the seat in my truck, and shoot on the weekends.

Parts Have:
$180     Double Star Lower Reciever with unknown parts kit, 6 position stock, and A2 pistol grip (Used)
$5     Unknown lighter trigger spring (New)(original spring was over 10 pound pull)
$50     Bushmaster A2 Upper receiver marked "FK" with sight assembly (Used)
$40     DPMS A3/4 upper parts kit with ejection cover assembly, forward assist assembly, and charging handle (New)
$0     Unknown A2 buttstock with stock, buttplate, trap door, sling loop, lower screw, buffer tube, and buffer (Used)(Traded collapsible stock assembly)
$15     DPMS Upper A2 buttstock screw, standard rifle buffer spring, and A2 reciever extension

On order:
$100     SurplusAmmo & Arms M16 BCG

Parts Need:
$228     Del-Ton 16" Mid-Length Chrome Lined Barrel Kit

Tools Have:
Roll pin punch set
Tapco armorers wrench
Wheeler upper vise block (supposed to get here Monday the 26th!)

I'm operating on a dirt poor college student budget, so it may take a while to scrape up $200 more to complete this, but I'll try my best!
Any constructive criticism, thoughts, or wisdom is greatly appreciated!  

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Looking good so far, I've been there as a poor college kid scraping by trying to save enough money for gun parts. But my money was also being spent between going out partying, alcohol, and Ramen to survive on.  Though during college I was going through my C&R phase of collecting, wish I would have gotten into ARs sooner
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks good.  Might take the stock off before you put the bbl on, then you'll have started your lower's assembled life as a pistol.  Take pics, post in the pistol forum, then put the stock on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my two anderson lowers will be a midlength. I'm still trying to devide whether it'll be a short a2 gov model or a collapsible type. I love the look of the shortened a2.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Pro tip from a guy in your age group:

Go to the local shops/gunsmiths and pick through the takeoff bin.  I scored a pencil barrel, FSB, barrel nut, taper pins, trigger guard, A1 grip, etc for a whopping total of $40.  Its worth it to dig the bins plus you still have beer/pizza/wing/ass money.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good.  Might take the stock off before you put the bbl on, then you'll have started your lower's assembled life as a pistol.  Take pics, post in the pistol forum, then put the stock on.
View Quote

Based on his description above, the lower was used and came to him assembled as a carbine lower.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
hambone96,  The Mid-Length A2 is a Great Rifle/Carbine (your choice).  I put mine together a little differently then you are doing, but I think you are looking for the same results.

Since this pic, I have put a true Type "E" Stock on it with the A2 Butt Plate, and got rid of the CavArms Stock.... Good Luck with your build.  And make sure you post pic's along the way.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Based on his description above, the lower was used and came to him assembled as a carbine lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Looks good.  Might take the stock off before you put the bbl on, then you'll have started your lower's assembled life as a pistol.  Take pics, post in the pistol forum, then put the stock on.

You're right.  Will revise my post.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#9]

hambone96,  just to let you know, your:

$50 Bushmaster A2 Upper receiver marked "FK" with sight assembly (Used)
View Quote

With it having the "FK" Markings, Your Upper Receiver could actually be an FN A2 Upper.

Can you post a closer pic of those markings?

I forgot to add, Welcome to the Forum, and you started with a Great First Post.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input guys! Really helps motivate me.

I've stopped by the only local "gun shop" we have and his prices are way high.
He did, however, give me a FSB and carbine hand guards for free. (at the time I was leaning towards an M4 style with A2 upper)

I'm at college for the week and my parts are back home, so I will take a picture of the upper markings for y'all sometime Friday.

That is a nice looking rifle 1NAVYCHIEF-RET! That look is exactly what I am aiming for with this build.

I also have some good news!!
My girlfriend got tired of me talking about this project so she's going to go ahead and buy the Del-Ton barrel kit for me and let me pay her back when I can

Just have one question for when I get everything I need.
Headspacing. Will I need to get this checked after I install the barrel to the upper before I shoot it?

Here's pics of my upper vise block from Wheeler Engineering that arrived this week:

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay guys!

My SAA bcg should be here tomorrow, and I placed the order with del-ton for the barrel kit along with a buttstock cleaning kit.

Shouldn't be long!!

Here's a picture of my upper's markings
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I dare say you definitely got an fn upper, you at least have a little luck if you just fell into that for cheap.

Eta; does that have m4 cuts? Anyone want to tell me if fn made a2s with cuts, I don't know and want someone to illuminate me whether or not they ever offered them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't have any pictures, but I can say that it does not have the m4 ramps in it.

I got the BCG and will take pictures to show yall sometime today
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is the M16 BCG I got from Surplus Ammo and Arms.
Not sure how I feel about the staking of the gas key, but other than that I'm very happy for $100

Still waiting on my Del-Ton order to ship
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Got my kit from del-ton friday. Assembled and shot about 50 rounds through it Saturday

Here is it now, I still need to install the front sling mount.

I'll get yall some better pictures of it outside when I shoot it again next weekend.

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Got my kit from del-ton friday. Assembled and shot about 50 rounds through it Saturday

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff496/Jakehambey/Mobile%20Uploads/20150209_181050.jpg
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff496/Jakehambey/Mobile%20Uploads/20150209_181034.jpg

I'll get yall some better pictures of it outside when I shoot it again next weekend.

Also, would anyone like to trade me a couple of like new 20rd straight body GI magazines for my 2 30rd GI NHMTG mags?
View Quote

Very nice build OP!  NavyChief's mid-length A2 build really inspired me to gather parts for the build.  Now I just have to find time to assemble everything
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#17]

hambone96, nice looking build.  I think that these Mid-Length A2's are some of the Best KISS Carbines/Rifles you can put together.

You need to get one more item to finish the project, and that is an M9 Bayonet.  You can use an M7 Bayonet, but the M9 just adds the total Badass look.

My Upper Half started out as a PSA CHF Middy with a Flat-top Upper, that I switched-out for an FN A2 Upper.  I am amazed at the accuracy that I have gotten out of it so far.

I have done the following mods to my Middy A2: a Troy Trigger Guard, a Seekins Billet Mag Button (no hole), WOA NM Front Sight Post, and 1/2" Windage Screw & Aperature, with a NM Windage Drum..

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  hambone96, nice looking build.  I think that these Mid-Length A2's are some of the Best KISS Carbines/Rifles you can put together.

You need to get one more item to finish the project, and that is an M9 Bayonet.  You can use an M7 Bayonet, but the M9 just adds the total Badass look.

My Upper Half started out as a PSA CHF Middy with a Flat-top Upper, that I switched-out for an FN A2 Upper.  I am amazed at the accuracy that I have gotten out of it so far.

I have done the following mods to my Middy A2: a Troy Trigger Guard, a Seekins Billet Mag Button (no hole), WOA NM Front Sight Post, and 1/2" Windage Screw & Aperature, with a NM Windage Drum..

<a href="http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/Navy_Chief_Ret/media/Middy_wScopeampMag_b_zps8a889703.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb393/Navy_Chief_Ret/Middy_wScopeampMag_b_zps8a889703.jpg</a>
View Quote

With all due respect, Chief, the M9 bayonet is for cutting barbed wire.  It's so useful @ stabbing people the Army took up Combatives instead, and the Marines adopted the OKC.  OKC & M7 bayonets are for suddenly lowering the blood pressure of an enemy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

With all due respect, Chief, the M9 bayonet is for cutting barbed wire.  It's so useful @ stabbing people the Army took up Combatives instead, and the Marines adopted the OKC.  OKC & M7 bayonets are for suddenly lowering the blood pressure of an enemy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  hambone96, nice looking build.  I think that these Mid-Length A2's are some of the Best KISS Carbines/Rifles you can put together.

<a href="http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/Navy_Chief_Ret/media/Middy_wScopeampMag_b_zps8a889703.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb393/Navy_Chief_Ret/Middy_wScopeampMag_b_zps8a889703.jpg</a>

...& with even more "due respect" (lol), I'd say just stick with the OKC3S bayonet as the M7's tang is somewhat weakened by the 2 bolt holes drilled through it, & the M9 doesn't really even have a tang as it is just a flat nub onto which a threaded rod is attached to keep the handle in place.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#20]

bacbencher & FlDiveCop71,  I like your notes on the topic of the Bayonet.  But to be honest, I have this particular Lan-Cay M-9 because it was issued to me, and I like it.

That being said, I would never really think about using it as a Bayonet, for multiple different reasons, one of which is it's weight.  If I were to seriously need to use a Bayonet on the end

of a Carbine or Rifle, I would probably use an M-7.

But I do think as Bayonet's go, the M-9 and the Marine OKC3S Bayonet's have a more Bad-Ass look to them, then the M-7.  I think it's because they have a more Bowie Knife look to them.

The M-7 has more of a Dagger type blade, that does indeed make it easier to penetrate soft tissue, and I have several in my possession, and they can be had at very decent prices, even

Brand New from OKC.

NOTE - The lack of a Full Tang on the M-9 Bayonets, does represent a weak spot, but then again, you're not supposed to use these to pry with either.

Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome config !   Best of success to ya !  
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#22]
That M9 bayonet does look pretty bad ass NavyChief, its on my list to get right after a sling!

I was talking about my new rifle to a state trooper friend of mine at church this morning, and he said he's got 3 cases of 5.56 that the state has given him to practice qualifying with the past few years and that I am welcome to a case if I want it.

Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped about getting some free ammo!!

EDIT
Not sure what he meant by a case, but he gave me 119 rounds of this stuff
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#23]

In my opinion, a Case of Ammo should be 1K rounds.  Sometimes different Department's OR Individuals have other ideas, Oh Well.

None-the-Less, I do have a simple rule about ammo, NEVER EVER turn your nose up at Free Quality Ammo.  At least that's my opinion.

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I was thinking 1000 rounds as well. But hey no complaints here!

Do yall have any experience with slings?
I'd like something a little higher quality than the nylon ones the guy is selling at the local military surplus store.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Sling info.

http://inrd.gotdns.com/alice/zsas.htm
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In my opinion, a Case of Ammo should be 1K rounds.  Sometimes different Department's OR Individuals have other ideas, Oh Well.
None-the-Less, I do have a simple rule about ammo, NEVER EVER turn your nose up at Free Quality Ammo.  At least that's my opinion.

View Quote

This is what I consider a case of ammo to mean...

1680 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#27]

FlDiveCop71,  Now that's a REAL Case.  I was thinking more of the Modern Commercial Case amount of 1K rds.

But I would absolutely love to have a couple dozen of those 1680rd cases stashed.

Especially now that the ATF is trying to get M855/S109 rounds reclassified as Armor Piercing,

which would take it off the civilian sales markets, and NO Imports of Surplus Foreign M855/S109 ammo either !!!

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was thinking 1000 rounds as well. But hey no complaints here!

Do yall have any experience with slings?
I'd like something a little higher quality than the nylon ones the guy is selling at the local military surplus store.
View Quote

The nylon ones allow you to carry the rifle over your shoulder, and make for a hasty sling which stabilizes the rifle when firing.  Most modern slings do not seem to permit a hasty sling arrangement, which is one of the purposes of the free-floated forend.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff496/Jakehambey/Mobile%20Uploads/20150209_181050.jpg
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff496/Jakehambey/Mobile%20Uploads/20150209_181034.jpg

View Quote

Wow, nice.  That is the look that I love.  Very sweet rifle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Well guys, its been a couple of months and I've shot the AR15 a little bit!
About 500 rounds and no failures of any kind!

Here is my girlfriend shooting out of the back of my pickup, now she wants one. The target is an orange 8" steel plate about 50 yards away in the treeline, XM855 goes right through it.

Still need a bayonet and a sling!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I have to admit your mid-length A2 was instrumental in me building MiniMe shown here with my 20" A2.  Yes technically MiniMe is a flat top with carry handle and it has an A1 stock but I really like the short length and great overall balance. I just need to make tine to shoot it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow, thats a nice pair of rifles you got there.

What A1 stock have you got on it?
My girlfriend is wanting the A1 stock and pistol grip on her lower whenever we get around to it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wow, thats a nice pair of rifles you got there.

What A1 stock have you got on it?
My girlfriend is wanting the A1 stock and pistol grip on her lower whenever we get around to it.
View Quote

It is just a surplus A1 (type E) off the EE but CavArms has modern A1 length stocks.  It would particularly benefit her shooting prone.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It is just a surplus A1 (type E) off the EE but CavArms has modern A1 length stocks.  It would particularly benefit her shooting prone.
View Quote

Yeah, i bet the shorter stock would help a little.
Thanks man!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#35]

hambone96,  I sent you an IM yesterday.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top