BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/25/2015 7:11:52 PM EDT
Looking to assemble a early SoCom build,POST BlackHawk Down style, like used late 90's pre 9/11

It is not going to be super correct and will be using parts around the late 90's early 00's but here is what I am planing on using with the parts I have laying around and ordering some to finish

* = own already

A2 lower*
A2 upper*
A.r.m.s. comp 2 M68 mount*
14.5" barrel*
Armalite carbine length fiberglass FF tube*
Aimpoint comp 2
Fiberlite stock and either a 2 or 4 position buffer tube

Also have a old Gripod but I'm not sure what year these came into use and am open to switching out the A2 upper for a flat top with detachable carry handle

Would this look like something some SF units would have in the post BHD, pre 9/11 days?
I seem to recall some pics where the guys had a setup somewhat like this but wasn't sure of the dates.

I'm open to any suggestions on switching parts to make this happen

Thanks for readin
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The M4 came out in 1994 and the M4A1 came out in July 2009. This is one of the M4 configurations you will find with the exception of the MAGPUL CTR stock and MAGPUL MIAD grip. (Aimpoint M2, LaRue Tactical LT-150 (M68) mount, MaTech 0-6-- BUIS, KAC M4 RAS, and Surefire weaponlight,)

Here is another (TA01NSN, KAC M4 RAS, MaTech 0-600 BUIS, Surefire weaponlight)

And another. (LE6920, 16" barrel, TA31RCOM4, KAC M4 RAS, MaTech 0-600 BUIS, Surefire weaponlight)

The M4 stock with a 4-position buffer tube was standard. Stock could vary depending on the unit and what was approved.

Accessories:
Like all the variants of the M16, the M4 and the M4A1 can be fitted with many accessories, such as night vision devices, suppressors, laser pointers, telescopic sights, bipods, either the M203 or M320 grenade launchers, the M26 MASS shotgun, forward hand grips, and anything else compatible with a MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail.

Other common accessories include the AN/PEQ-2, Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight (ACOG), and M68 CCO. EOTech holographic weapon sights are part of the SOPMOD II package. Visible and IR (infrared) lights of various manufacturers are also commonly attached using various mounting methods.

This should give you some idea of what direction to take.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:30:43 AM EDT
[#4]
sounds like you are off to a good start, however the Armalite FF tube would be a no-go imho.
I don't think they were every used?  (could be wrong) but mostly 6 hole carbine colts for HG's
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:14:39 AM EDT
[#5]
If your going to use a A2 upper then you want a pre 94/95' dated gun.  SOCOM adopted the M4A1 in 94' and I got my flat top M4A1 in Feb 95' after trading in our M16A2s (seem to recall only 2 ea older XM177s in the Bn arms room).  We had the M68 CCO, TA01NSN ACOG, Trijicon Reflex sight (which most didn't use).  Never saw a 737 in 5th SFGA at that time, saw my first one's in Baghdad in 03' from augumentees from SWTG.  Some of the weapons that we used in Robin Sage Unconvential FTX (06-07') used a mixer of 727s/M4A1s out of SWTG arms room.

M4A1 in Jordan in Aug 95'

Here I am shooting a TA01NSN equipped M4A1 in Haiti Dec 95'

CD
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Basically, you would be going for this:

EXCEPT, AUTO instead of BURST, and there is more than mere speculation that the first batch of M4A1s had gray upper and lower receivers, and not black - but this has not been verified by actually spotting one in the wild. And it may have had a peel washer and not a crush washer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your going to use a A2 upper then you want a pre 94/95' dated gun.  SOCOM adopted the M4A1 in 94' and I got my flat top M4A1 in Feb 95' after trading in our M16A2s (seem to recall only 2 ea older XM177s in the Bn arms room).  We had the M68 CCO, TA01NSN ACOG, Trijicon Reflex sight (which most didn't use).  Never saw a 737 in 5th SFGA at that time, saw my first one's in Baghdad in 03' from augumentees from SWTG.  Some of the weapons that we used in Robin Sage Unconvential FTX (06-07') used a mixer of 737s/M4A1s out of SWTG arms room.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Jordan_95_George_shooing_M4A1_Carbine.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Haiti_95_M4s.jpg

CD
View Quote

Some add ons.

The M68s didnt hit until late 99, early 2000. Ironically, they came via big Army. SOCOM still had the ACOG reflex as "Standard A". Though various Aimpoints were already commercially purchased.

KAC rails and BUIS were common as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The photographs and graphic depictions don't all match up perfectly, but just as a broad guideline for times and dates:

Remember too that the M4 MWS used by conventional troops is not the same thing as the SOPMOD M4.

Some of what you're going to have to consider if you want to build a clone-clone is a more specific timeframe and unit.  If you're wanting to do "latest tricked out," you might find that you're seeking a lot of ARMS accessories.  

In terms of "basic representation," though - it's going to be relatively "simple."  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Some add ons.

The M68s didnt hit until late 99, early 2000. Ironically, they came via big Army. SOCOM still had the ACOG reflex as "Standard A". Though various Aimpoints were already commercially purchased.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your going to use a A2 upper then you want a pre 94/95' dated gun.  SOCOM adopted the M4A1 in 94' and I got my flat top M4A1 in Feb 95' after trading in our M16A2s (seem to recall only 2 ea older XM177s in the Bn arms room).  We had the M68 CCO, TA01NSN ACOG, Trijicon Reflex sight (which most didn't use).  Never saw a 737 in 5th SFGA at that time, saw my first one's in Baghdad in 03' from augumentees from SWTG.  Some of the weapons that we used in Robin Sage Unconvential FTX (06-07') used a mixer of 737s/M4A1s out of SWTG arms room.

CD

Some add ons.

Correct on the M68, that was mentioned as he wanted pre 9/11.  When I went thru SFARTAETC in 98' we used off the shelve Aimpoints.  The BUIS that I remember back in 95' that I ran behind the ACOG was the KAC 300m.

CD
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Some of these pics are post 9/11 and then some earlier than what you are looking for, but neat set ups of A2/727's (and a 723 thrown in, and Joescuba's 653) if you don't want to go with a flat top.

Too bad we don't have a pic of Travis Haley's in Africa.  I should've kept that pic.  I remember one of him laying in the grass.  But that was an M4, which may be more typical of what you're looking for, like Combat Diver said.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Is that a fixed butt M4 I'm detecting, out to sea ????  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is that a fixed butt M4 I'm detecting, out to sea ????  
View Quote

It's a "Recce."  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Too bad we don't have a pic of Travis Haley's in Africa.  I should've kept that pic.  I remember one of him laying in the grass.  But that was an M4, which may be more typical of what you're looking for, like Combat Diver said.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#15]
My ARMS M68 mount is currently attached to my M4 6520 upper's carry handle, it fits in the groove and tightens with a nurled nut, it also came with a throw lever bottom that can be switched on instead of the carry handle mount and added on a rail by the two flathead screws. I thought they all were like that....but I bought my ARMS mount off the EE for $50.00, so it could have came with extras.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2zyaqvm.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/554dfd50d319c183f39e3ac59e03d765/tumblr_mq1ymqMdAj1rkasm5o1_500.jpg

http://40.media.tumblr.com/602b1552cbda83925e554c805d17adef/tumblr_mr2n1lMPSy1rgw5pgo7_500.jpg

Wow, you're good.  That's the exact one I was remembering.  

OK, what in the heck is the guy holding in the last pic????  Some kind of .22 pistol with a surefire suppressor?  And a red dot?  What the....  Fixed barrel, means ruger but doesn't look like a Ruger. No No...  My brain just exploded.  Almost looks like a hi standard.  Colt woodsman / huntsman.  That is crazy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Some sort of Custom Hushpuppy, Silenced with an Aimpoint.... Have no clue on caliber, could be a .22 or .22 mag, would work great for silencing critters without detection and fun as hell to shoot.

ETA - with the size of that can, it could possibly be 9mm but I don't know and am as curious as you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#18]
its a browning challenger with an aimpoint and KAC QDSS/NT4 suppressor.

heres another pic of a similar set up posted by haley

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Some of these pics are post 9/11 and then some earlier than what you are looking for, but neat set ups of A2/727's (and a 723 thrown in, and Joescuba's 653) if you don't want to go with a flat top.
http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp3%3B%3A%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D323658%3A7357%3B9nu0mrj
View Quote

If I am not mistaken, that is a 723 shown above. When did that show up in the evolution of the M4?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If I am not mistaken, that is a 723 shown above. When did that show up in the evolution of the M4?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp3%3B%3A%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D323658%3A7357%3B9nu0mrj

It's actually most likely an Air Force GUU-5/P.  

I don't have the exact introduction date of the RO723 offhand, but it was in the early-mid-1980s, IIRC, the RO727 was 1988, but again, I don't have the exact dates on hand.  They were both considered "M16A2 Carbines," and would have been introduced not too long after the introduction of the commercial M16A2.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, I've seen that picture before.  Air Force PJ with a GUU-5/P.  Who needs a stinking forward assist!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:33:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought I was pretty clear about what I posted.  If you read my remark you'll see I called it out.  I just figured I was giving the op pics of cool carbines that were used in the vicinity of the era he asked about.  I apologize if they were not exactly what he asked about.  I also apologize for callng it a 723 if it is in fact the guu so and so whatever the AF calls them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:40:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
its a browning challenger with an aimpoint and KAC QDSS/NT4 suppressor.

heres another pic of a similar set up posted by haley

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/simplydynamic/22brsupp1.jpg
View Quote

Interesting.  Wow.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah, I've seen that picture before.  Air Force PJ with a GUU-5/P.  Who needs a stinking forward assist!
View Quote

We had GUU-5/P's in USAF EOD at about the same time. Ours were sans 203 and the cool paint.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#25]
What are the odds of this becoming the pre-sopmod sof rifle thread augee keeps askin for?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What are the odds of this becoming the pre-sopmod sof rifle thread augee keeps askin for?
View Quote

IMHO, the whole "pre-SOPMOD" story begins around 1970 with the Son Tay Raid, and would actually straddle Retro, the A2 forum, and AR Discussions.  

One of these days I'll get around to starting/writing a thread.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#27]
<dupe>
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

IMHO, the whole "pre-SOPMOD" story begins around 1970 with the Son Tay Raid, and would actually straddle Retro, the A2 forum, and AR Discussions.  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

Im gonna say if your gonna include the retro stuff it started well before son tay. Ive seen plenty of pics of weapons upgrades done by macv sog, lrrps and the like.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

Yeah, but we aint all anal about what era here. Or when someone strays from regular AR discussion and asks about a flat top this and that over here I see very little ribbing, unlike some other forums.   As far as I can tell.  So.....  if here's where you want to do it, then by all means have at it.  I doubt anyone would object.   I suppose it wouldn't get much exposure though.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:03:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Im gonna say if your gonna include the retro stuff it started well before son tay. Ive seen plenty of pics of weapons upgrades done by macv sog, lrrps and the like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

It's just my personal opinion, but there are a number of things specific to the Son Tay Raid that set it apart from earlier use of carbine or "SMG" length M16 variants.

If nothing else, while service members had modified their weapons earlier, it was usually on an individual and personalized basis - the Son Tay Raid, meanwhile, represents the first real use of red dot sights in an "organizational" capacity to improve hit probability and speed in low light and DA situations that to me, among many other contributions of the Son Tay Raid, represents the emergence of a new paradigm which ultimately leads to the SOPMOD program and beyond.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's just my personal opinion, but there are a number of things specific to the Son Tay Raid that set it apart from earlier use of carbine or "SMG" length M16 variants.

If nothing else, while service members had modified their weapons earlier, it was usually on an individual and personalized basis - the Son Tay Raid, meanwhile, represents the first real use of red dot sights in an "organizational" capacity to improve hit probability and speed in low light and DA situations that to me, among many other contributions of the Son Tay Raid, represents the emergence of a new paradigm which ultimately leads to the SOPMOD program and beyond.  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

~Augee

I would agree somewhat...

There was no movement in 20 years after though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:31:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I would agree somewhat...

There was no movement in 20 years after though.
View Quote

If you're talking specifically about rifle modifications, then you'd be correct, however, I think the important shift was in the mentality and conceptualization of joint special operations, which eventually led to a need for special operations peculiar modifications to the weapons.

I think one thing that accounts somewhat for the "gap" was the introduction and popularity of the MP5, before the shift swung back in the direction of M16 variants.

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#34]

I want that ARMS rail with integrated BUIS solo bad. I already have the M68 Aimpoint and Trilock #17 mount, just need that rail.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I want that ARMS rail with integrated BUIS solo bad. I already have the M68 Aimpoint and Trilock #17 mount, just need that rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That would be a really cool setup to have on top of an M4. I have just the one for it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#36]
So who bought it?  
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]
bumped for RTUtah
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

bumped for RTUtah
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#40]
SOCOM and Corps LRS started getting M4A1's in 1994.

I remember an article in Soldier Magazine where they showed SF already getting KAC RAS in 1995.

Before that, most of SOCOM minus the Squeals had M16A2's, if we're talking Ranger Regiment and SF.

In the SOT side of the house in Group, there were 723's and 727's, while Ranger Regiment issued 653's to some key leaders, RTO's, and other duty positions.

After Somalia, Ranger Regiment dropped the M16A2 like a hot potato, with SF following soon after in favor of the M4A1.

Squeals used 653's a lot in the 1970's and into the 1980's, before getting 727's.

USAF CTT's and PJ's had GAU-5A/A and other 1960's-era Commando's, as well as the 14.5" GAU-5, all with no FA uppers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I just noticed in those last pics those guys have detachable carry handles with optics on TOP.  Oh the humanity.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I wonder if this set up was ever utilized (meaning a Colt scope, mine is a knock off though):

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I wonder if this set up was ever utilized (meaning a Colt scope, mind is a knock off though):

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv382%3B7%3Enu%3D3235%3E392%3E252%3EWSNRCG%3D3775%3B4%3A259339nu0mrj

View Quote

doubt it..but looks good though!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Thank you.  I never see pics of them with USGI other than maybe in Vietnam.   Well actually I remember a pick of a gunny or lance corporal or something, in Iraq with one on top of his A2 20"er.  It was in the American Rifleman and I have it somewhere in my pics, but not sure where.  Otherwise I've never seen them in like spec ops guys or anything.  

I like them because they're compact, and I actually like the height that is at.  However,  this one is pretty heavy.  As pictured that carbine is a bit over 8 lbs.  Although it's an HBAR.  But the other thing is that the eye relief is pretty short and you gotta get your face pretty close.   Which can be annoying.  I don't really like eating the charging handle.  And they sometimes can be loose in certain carry handles.  I have some painters tape on it right now.   And I've used aluminum cans to shim before on another upper.  

I have shot some decent groups with this thing on top of an A1 before though.

You think those are the old aimpoint 7000 on the pics you just posted?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:  I just noticed in those last pics those guys have detachable carry handles with optics on TOP.  Oh the humanity.  
View Quote

And now we have optics w/ red dots or irons on top of the optic.  We have not completely solved the BUIS/1X/Variable conundrum.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And now we have optics w/ red dots or irons on top of the optic.  We have not completely solved the BUIS/1X/Variable conundrum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I just noticed in those last pics those guys have detachable carry handles with optics on TOP.  Oh the humanity.  

Elcan or FTS 3x magnifier does it pretty good.

and those could be the 5000 model aimpoint
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Agreed on both accounts.  

Although now we got the canted irons too.  Can't forget those.  LOL.  Doesn't really work with a USGI type M4 though.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If your going to use a A2 upper then you want a pre 94/95' dated gun.  SOCOM adopted the M4A1 in 94' and I got my flat top M4A1 in Feb 95' after trading in our M16A2s (seem to recall only 2 ea older XM177s in the Bn arms room).  We had the M68 CCO, TA01NSN ACOG, Trijicon Reflex sight (which most didn't use).  Never saw a 737 in 5th SFGA at that time, saw my first one's in Baghdad in 03' from augumentees from SWTG.  Some of the weapons that we used in Robin Sage Unconvential FTX (06-07') used a mixer of 727s/M4A1s out of SWTG arms room.

CD
View Quote

Hey CD, do you remember if that was a CAR type stock or the newer M4 on those?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

M4 stock didnt come till around 02..
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Believe they were CAR stocks

CD
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top