Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2015 12:34:46 AM EDT
So I posted not to long ago that I wanted to build a 727/XM4 style carbine.  After getting some great information from guys on here, I started gathering parts for that build. Got a little side tracked because I was building my second M16A2 clone at the time and I wanted to try to research a little more before I dug into this project. Here is what I have thus far:
-Anderson Manufacturing lower ($65 at lgs)
-DPMS lpk ($50 at lgs)
-CAR stock assy w/4 position tube, is commercial though but I am not too worried about that (got off EE for $35 shipped)
-LoneStar 6 hole skinny handguards (bought from boywonder777 for $40, he even threw in a black silent sling)
-Bushmaster A2 complete upper ($96 off my WTB ad in the EE)
-Core15 BCG used ($55 off the EE)
-Delta ring assy ($12 from PSA)

Total invested at this time is $353.  The Bushmaster A2 upper is super super tight on the Anderson Manufacturing lower, tightest I've ever seen. Will it get looser over time?

Still need to purchase a barrel assy.  That is where I'm not sure which barrel would be the best. Here are a few that I have been looking at thus far:
1. DS Arms 14.5
2. Windham 14.5" already pinned/welded

From my understanding the DS Arms barrel is the non-F marked fsb, but from what I read it looks like the Windham is also non-F marked. Or I could just be reading it wrong. What barrel would y'all recommend? I've been searching for a 14.5" barrel with A2 fsb that is already pinned & welded on the EE without any success as of yet.  Leaning more towards the Windham just because it is already pinned & welded so I could complete the build quicker.  

I'm currently debating whether I'm going to paint the stock and handguards, though I'm leaning towards it especially after watching Black Hawk Down earlier today.  Also have an Arms #2 mount coming in the mail that I got in a trade that I'm doing with BiggerHammer.  Planning on finding an AimPoint 3000 to put onto it and really enjoying this rifle.  

Any and all suggestions are grately appreciated. This will be my second complete build from the ground up, so I'm still learning.  And as always, here is a pictures of my progress as of today

</a>" />
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#1]
what is the material used in the DS barrel assembly?    I'd likely go for the WW barrel, as it is just that more complete, as you stated.   Good success on your project.  ad
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The DSA 14.5" barrel has an F FSB.  They just did not mark them F.  DSA states this here DSA Thread and that he's getting 3" MOA.
The FSP will most likely go down far enough to zero or just take a small amount off the top of the FSP and blue it.  
I think you will get better accuracy from the WW and the WW has an A2 FSB.  I don't have a WW ... yet.  But will probably also get a DSA 14.5", just cause it's a good deal
ETA: Barrel is also stated to be 4150 Another DSA Thread
Maybe someone will jump in here and say how the accuracy is with the WW barrel.  Of course, each barrel is different though, so one might do well and the next no so well.
Good Luck!
me
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#3]
DS Arms also has the extended flash hider http://www.dsarms.com/p-13011-long-a2-birdcage-556223-caliber-flashhider-5-slot-12-28-thread.aspx for $25.  If you have access to welding equipment you could build the barrel for $160.  That would also give you the opportunity to use a proper peel washer instead of the crush washer that Windam shows.

My 'sort of" 727 is a Bushmaster 14.5" A2 upper with the Izzy flash hider (that is the sort of part) purchased complete with BCG off the EE on a Bushmaster lower that I traded for locally.  I managed to find an old Bushmaster CAR furniture set off the EE also.  The EE is dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I've built 2.....the first one was a 16" Bushmaster barrel cut down by JT and the 2nd one was a Colt 14.5" with A2X. However I just purchased 5 uppers and 2 of the DSA 14.5" M4 barrels to stash away for another ban/panic. The barrels were $295.00 shipped for both and I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The DSA 14.5" barrel has an F FSB.  They just did not mark them F.  DSA states this here DSA Thread and that he's getting 3" MOA.
The FSP will most likely go down far enough to zero or just take a small amount off the top of the FSP and blue it.  
I think you will get better accuracy from the WW and the WW has an A2 FSB.  I don't have a WW ... yet.  But will probably also get a DSA 14.5", just cause it's a good deal
ETA: Barrel is also stated to be 4150 Another DSA Thread
Maybe someone will jump in here and say how the accuracy is with the WW barrel.  Of course, each barrel is different though, so one might do well and the next no so well.
Good Luck!
me
View Quote

Thanks for the great info!!!  I'm actually leaning towards the WW barrel, since I'm planning on using one of their 20" barrels once they come back in stock for my M16A4 build and it is already pinned & welded. Plus, I just moved so I haven't found a good gunsmith that I can trust that can do a pin & weld job. Have considered using ADCO, but haven't research how much shipping cost to and from would be, and that would just add into the total cost. Doesn't help I'm impatient and like getting things done quickly.
I do like the DSA though, may get one for a future build I'm planning on doing for a friend of mine as a gift for when he gets back from his 3rd deployment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
DS Arms also has the extended flash hider http://www.dsarms.com/p-13011-long-a2-birdcage-556223-caliber-flashhider-5-slot-12-28-thread.aspx for $25.  If you have access to welding equipment you could build the barrel for $160.  That would also give you the opportunity to use a proper peel washer instead of the crush washer that Windam shows.

My 'sort of" 727 is a Bushmaster 14.5" A2 upper with the Izzy flash hider (that is the sort of part) purchased complete with BCG off the EE on a Bushmaster lower that I traded for locally.  I managed to find an old Bushmaster CAR furniture set off the EE also.  The EE is dangerous.
View Quote

I agree about the EE being dangerous. I'll get on there to look just to pass time and keep up to date on prices of everything. Next thing I know I'm eating ram and noodle because I've spent too much on the dangburn EE!!

I don't have access to any welding equipment and I have never welded before either, so I'll leave it someone more qualified than I.  I have an new style Bushmaster lower that is currently housing my M16A1 clone with a DK marked A1 upper and Colt barrel.  Trying to save up the cash for an NDS lower, but in the meantime I'll just keep using what works cause I've got other projects going that I want to finish. Once I get caught up, then I'll get the right lower. But then I'll have another spare lower....so yet another build to complete.  Haha, will probably be another XM4/727 clone. Have gotten to where I just love building A2 uppers. But I was raised and trained with M4's, I guess I'm just crazy
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
ADCO does good work . I had them do my 14.5" Colt barrel for my "M4gery"

I am contemplating the same build. Got a heck of a deal on an A2 upper and picked up a DTI 14.7" pinned w/ standard A2 . I like the look vs. the extended A2,

...and yes, EE + BRD = lots of Ramen! lol!
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll probably be doing another one before long, mainly because I just got another car stock set (pistol grip, 6 hole handguards, and buttstock assy) in a trade I did. Coupled with the fact I also just bought a Bushie A2 upper off the EE for $70 shipped. Granted that one is rough, thankfully my furniture is already painted so why not paint the whole rifle? Have one black and one painted. Here's to Ramon noodles, keeping me a live till payday!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I was going to go the 727 route until this popped up in my email... too good of a deal to pass up. Looks like I am going XM177 route. Going to pick up a triangle handguard set from M1S.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-11-5-w-5-5-fh-5-56-barrel-1-9-prod69830.aspx
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think anybody here would encourage you to get that particular barrel.   It seems to be the ugly bastard child of the retro world.
As for your original question, I bought a Model1 barrel for my 727 because the FSB is not an F.   Some people don't care for Model1 but I have had two barrels from them and been happy with both.
Pic:

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think anybody here would encourage you to get that particular barrel.   It seems to be the ugly bastard child of the retro world.
View Quote

I would:) It does look kind of funky in pictures but after seeing this thread I decided to try one. It looks better in real life than it does in pictures, and as OP said the price is hard to pass up (plus it has good reviews on Brownell's site). When I ordered mine it was listed as not chrome lined but the barrel i got is lined. I mocked it up on an A2 upper and it points nicely. When I do the build it will be with an A1-ish upper (DPMS) with CAR handgrips and A1 stock and hand grip on the lower. Was thinking about removing the FH to install a triangular cap and repinning so I could run triangular handguards but the factory weld job is too nice - I can't see where it is and I don't want to mess up the FH since it's not sold separately. It's not an actual reproduction of any vintage barrel, but it does have a really nice "retro vibe."
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Carry handle carbines shoot above point of aim with a standard sight post when the post is adjusted within its normal acceptable range.. When early carbines were issued they had extended front sight post to bring the point of impact in line with point of aim. Removing material from the top of the post would be exactly opposite of what is needed. An F marked FSB eliminates the need for a non standard sight post on a carbine, and was used early in the XM4/M4 program.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Carry handle carbines shoot above point of aim with a standard sight post when the post is adjusted within its normal acceptable range.. When early carbines were issued they had extended front sight post to bring the point of impact in line with point of aim. Removing material from the top of the post would be exactly opposite of what is needed. An F marked FSB eliminates the need for a non standard sight post on a carbine, and was used early in the XM4/M4 program.
View Quote

I think you just answered my question in my thread with this reply.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually went with a Palmetto State Armory 16" barrel,F marked Feb I  got off the EE. Plan on maybe eventually sending barrel out to Adco to have chopped and pinned, but for now I like the way it looks.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top