Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2014 12:42:44 AM EDT
I swung by a local gun shop after work today to start an out-of-state FFL transfer and spotted what I thought was a gray A2 lower on the shelf.  Upon closer inspection and comparison to a DTI black lower as well as some current production lowers from other manufacturers such as Spike, Aero Precision and S&W, the DTI lower is definitely gray and even has a slight bluish tint to it.  The owner of the shop didn't even notice it was a gray lower, but he told me he had several and this was the last one of the batch he bought.  Since I didn't have any of my "pre-ban" gray uppers to compare the lower with, I took a chance and bought the lower anyway.  The gray lower, complete with LPK was listed for $179.99 and after taxes and fees, total came out just under $220 bucks.  I know it's a little bit higher than most A2 lowers out there, but I'm just a sucker for gray parts.  I'll post some pics of the lower as soon as I get it out of "jail" and after shop owners come back from X-Mas vacation
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
cool catch - where was the store? (edit - just saw it was the last one.  was looking for a grey lower too:)
congrats.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes, actually quite often now when I see a lower and upper that don't match color,  they look better than ones that do.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of my earliest Bushmaster lowers from the early '90s had that dark, bluish,  gray tint.  Once in a blue moon, you'll see the same effect on an A2 upper.  Seems to me that there was a lot of anodizing experiments or ??? back in this time.  It was the end of the Sandstrom 9 era....and the solid black finish was still a ways in the future.The best looking, IMHO, were the Colt receivers in the gray/green  "parkerized" look from the late '80s.  Really close match to the steel parts on the weapon.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Here are are some pics of the Del-Ton gray lower receiver as promised.  First picture shown with FK forge mark FN A2 upper, with a modern black lower for color comparison.  Second picture is DTI lower with a blue-label Colt (Mueller Brass forge mark) A2 upper.  Third picture is DTI lower with a late Colt 723 upper marked "4" above the gas-tube hole.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]

That Grey Lower seems to Color Match pretty good.

Great Catch.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top