Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2014 8:58:21 PM EDT
This may not be the best place to ask this quesiton.........but I know that some of the best AR historians check the A2 forum out.  
So here goes.......

When did the A4 upper receiver start having "T marks">?

Reason I am curious is because I want to build a very early M4 carbine..........finished in gray.........and was not sure if it should have the T marks or not?
I plan on putting a carry handle on this M4, finished in gray as well.  So its sort of an A2 build........ )
Also, are there any other features that an Early Gray M4 should have?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I;m not sure exactly when the T marks made in on the M4 (I tend to think early as about 1995 or 1996) when the gray changed to black. I'd also think that a gray with detachable handle would be the first run of M4A1s which would be the auto instead of burst version.

I don't have T marks on my A4 clones but do on my M4 and M4A1(SOCOM barrel)  clones.

Sorry, that I don't have an exact answer.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Colt M4 upper from Ken Elmore (Specialized Armament) at a gunshow many moons ago.  Upper is a Colt Alcoa Forge with no T-marks that is a really dark charcoal gray and came with C MP C 1/7 barrel dated 9/98.  Although it's not an early gray M4 upper, it has no T-marks.  I do have a set of gray C AF upper with matching gray carry handle, charging handle and delta ring that I've been saving for an early gray M4 build for about 10 years now.  The toughest part is to find an early gray-parkerized M4 barrel without the F marked FSB to period correct.  I already have an excellent condition N1 stock for the build.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
We received our new Colt M4A1s, beginning of 2nd quarter 95' (March timeframe) and no T marks and black (diff. not grey) receivers, full auto no burst.  I had just finished the Operations and Intelligence course and then went to Jordan and Haiti with it that year.  Remember them being black at one point, DON'T leave oven cleaner on them too long when cleaning!  It will take the finish off.

CD
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a Colt M4 upper from Ken Elmore (Specialized Armament) at a gunshow many moons ago.  Upper is a Colt Alcoa Forge with no T-marks that is a really dark charcoal gray and came with C MP C 1/7 barrel dated 9/98.  Although it's not an early gray M4 upper, it has no T-marks.  I do have a set of gray C AF upper with matching gray carry handle, charging handle and delta ring that I've been saving for an early gray M4 build for about 10 years now.  The toughest part is to find an early gray-parkerized M4 barrel without the F marked FSB to period correct.  I already have an excellent condition N1 stock for the build.
View Quote

I picked up one of those also from Ken in about 1996 (I think- damn, getting old sucks!)  Mine came with a Colt 1 in 9 HBAR with the bayonet lug cut off.  Upper does have Colt proofs though.  A question for you- did you get the carry handle with it, and if you did, how is it marked?  Mine has the combined AH in a circle, and I know it is original to the upper.  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the information and replies.
I would love to see some pictures of your gray M4 uppers and carry handles?
Also, if anyone has any pictures of M4 carbines in gray finish.........please share them.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I should add that the upper I have has NO M4 feed ramps, so I consider it an A4 upper.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Best pictures that I have with me downrange.  These are from 95', Colt M4A1s
Aug 95 in Jordan

Dec 95 in Haiti

CD
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Aug 95 in Jordan
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Jordan_95_George_shooing_M4A1_Carbine.jpg
Dec 95 in Haiti
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Haiti_95_M4s.jpg

CD
View Quote

cool thank you!
Did your M4 have the large oval m4 hand guards....or skinnier ones?  Cant really tell in the pictures.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:03:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

cool thank you!
Did your M4 have the large oval m4 hand guards....or skinnier ones?  Cant really tell in the pictures.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aug 95 in Jordan
Dec 95 in Haiti

CD

cool thank you!

Standard M4 handguards ie: large oval double shielded heat shield/HGs.  

CD
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered a Colt heavy barreled flattop upper with 1/9 16" heavy barrel from Southern Ohio Gun somewhere around '96-'97 when my Dad had a gun shop. The upper is grey (not black) and is marked "M4" above the gas tube hole but doesn't have extended feed ramps or T marks on the receiver. It came with a china 3x carry handle scope, AH carry handle and a BSquare scope mount. Still have it.

Edited:The upper is about the same as the Colt 6721 carbine upper.  Itcame with the smooth Colt 6 hole carbine handguards that now reside on my 723 clone.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the bsquare mount one for the carry handle scope to mount to a flat top or just a rail mount for the carry handle?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
It's one-piece Colt marked and mounts a scope to the rail. It has one inch rings made onto a clamp-on base.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to sidetrack the OP question, but as many people note on here... if you go broad enough.. and say allow for small numbers to qualify, you can setup an AR in almost any configuration and assume it was used somewhere.. for something. While I appreciate the bit perfect clones, I also really enjoy the liberal interpretation versions as well.

Which is why I enjoy and liked this build. To me this was "an early M4." No basis on fact or reality, but parts I had and wanted to use.. and what I wanted to build. The point is, it doesn't have to be perfect to enjoy it and still be close to the original you're modeling.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Aug 95 in Jordan
Dec 95 in Haiti

CD
View Quote

Great pics!  Thanks for sharing!

That looks like an M9 on your thigh in the first pic.  I didn't even know they had drop leg holsters in 95.  Do you remember what kind?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not to sidetrack the OP question, but as many people note on here... if you go broad enough.. and say allow for small numbers to qualify, you can setup an AR in almost any configuration and assume it was used somewhere.. for something. While I appreciate the bit perfect clones, I also really enjoy the liberal interpretation versions as well.

Which is why I enjoy and liked this build. To me this was "an early M4." No basis on fact or reality, but parts I had and wanted to use.. and what I wanted to build. The point is, it doesn't have to be perfect to enjoy it and still be close to the original you're modeling.

http://seanrose.com/guns/images/fn10.jpg
View Quote

datz purdy.  I like the M4 stock better anyways too.  A LOT better.  Either one LOOKS fine but the waffle one is so much more comfortable to shoot with, IMHO.  Double heat shields are good too.  IMHO.  Although I think either one works for me.  But either are better than rails to hold on to.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That looks like an M9 on your thigh in the first pic.  I didn't even know they had drop leg holsters in 95.  Do you remember what kind?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aug 95 in Jordan
Dec 95 in Haiti

CD

JJ,

Yes, its a M9.  Holster is a standard Bianchi M12 field holster with the rigid Bianchi extension (they made two variants, stiff thick nylon and a thiner flexiable one).  The M12 had the flap removed and thumb snap installed.  Still have the rig.

CD
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#17]
My issued 1995 era Colt M4A1 carbine, SN W3124xx was not black. It was a dark grey. Not preban grey, or NDS grey, or anything like that.  Upper was marked "C" and "AF". Barrel date was in 1995..

It was NOT T marked.

I was able to get such an upper for by build. It sits on a 1995 era Colt AR-15A3 lower, and is a nice match.

The T marks came out about 2000-2002ish.

Our unit received new Colt M4A1s in early 2000. W338xxx serial range. They were the new HBs. I don't remember the color or T marks. as I was only a support guy and there were only enough HBs for the line companies. They still had the old N stocks.

Most got promptly Kryloned anyways.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]
IIRC the serial number range on our M4A1 were all W302xxx-W303xxx

CD
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IIRC the serial number range on our M4A1 were all W302xxx-W303xxx

CD
View Quote

Ours were as well, now that I think about it.

Anyways, here is my clone of the rifle that I was issued from 1998-2007-

Hard to see because of the shadows, but it is C and AF marked. 1995 dated barrel, no T marks.

The KAC BUIS, and RIS, may or may not have been on my issued carbine.

The Comp M2 is externally the same as the Comp M that I was issued in 2000.

The VLI is not the greatest, but the Navy was giving them away...

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top