Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/16/2014 10:38:21 AM EDT
I got a Colt A2 upper, that the port door won't stay closed. It appears the notch for the door latch is worn, and the pin holes are also enlarged. If I push up a bit on the door, it will stay closed. Anyone have ideas for repair, or repair parts? The other alternative is a 5lb hammer!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The dust cover? Leave it open.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Some folks might say an worn A2 upper isn't worth the effort or cost to repair.  But if you want to save that Colt upper, I'd get a hold of someone with a Tig or Mig welder and add a bit of extra material so the  ejection port detent would work properly.  The oversize pin hole is more difficult because you have to re-size the hole after welding.  Since the welded area is exposed, you might have to refinish the welded area and it's going to be hard to match the color of the upper.  You might want to try using just enough JB Weld to reduce the size of the inside diameter of the pin hole.  That way you don't have to worry about touching up the finish.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$10 fix
View Quote

Thanks, I will order one and give it a shot.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
OP,  I was in the same boat as you. I have an older Colt AR15/SPI that I bought used. It was at a good price, but in a little rough condition... Broken/cracked handguards and the upper receiver had some serious dents/dings/scratches, with one straight down the ejection port, which caused the dust cover not to lock or even stay in place.  I wanted to keep the rifle 100% and after debating the cost of getting it fixed, I simply bought another used Colt AR-15/SPI upper receiver to swap it out with.

Now, I have to get both the upper and lower receiver refinished so they match.   With this said, swapping out the uppers is the easiest way to resolve this issue...  If you want to keep the retro/early look.

Good luck!!
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top