Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2014 8:19:19 PM EDT
Well I have built 6 AR's now for myself and my buddies. My buddy was in the Marines in the early eighty's. So I think we're going to use the 20 inch barrel round handguards fixed stock carry handle on her. Does anyone have any other tips for things I might want to consider? Thanks for all your help
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
See if you can find period correct Bayo for it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Early 80s were probably A1s, the A2 enter service in 84 and many FMF units that did not get them until as late as 88.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you all for your input.

RON: Good info. I'm trying to learn my history so I build it correct. So far he has told me his rifle was 20", A2 (?) FSB, round handguards, carry handle, he said it had the tear drop forward he thinks. Fixed buttstock, and rear sight adjustable. He can't remember manufaturer. I don't know his unit but he was not in any special group. He was a US Marine. I have looked at the retro forum to do my research on what type of parts should be used. This will be on a 80% lower.  I belive it was a Pencil Barrel but could be wrong. He can't remember. I just built another buddy a 20" flat-top with Magpul MOE hand guards. He is 6' 5" so he wanted a bigger rifle. I use Del-Ton  barrels in all my builds. His rifle was surprisingly accurate.

So is there any thing specific you would suggest? Am I on the right track? He is on a budget, so I think we can build it for no more than $1000.

If I am wrong on my thinking, I will gladly accept correction.

Everything I have learned about building AR'S has been from people on ARFCOM.

Thanks again.
Tony
PasoGunner
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I built an M16 clone for my Marine buddy not that long ago. He was in from 81 to 85 I believe. He only had an A1 the entire time and said this M16A1 model 603 BFPU worn nailed it. We found a worn bayonet with a rack number on the m8 and a name painted on the m7 handle. He loves it. There is a chance that your buddy had an A1 that the armor switched the hand guards to the newer round A2's. There have been stories about that on the retro forum. If so, more then likely later in his service (85 or later).

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow ok that's awesome info. I feel like a detective. I want this to be as close to original.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to MCRD in 2-1984.  We had the M16A-1 throughout and qualified with them.  They actually issued us nails to adjust the rear sight so we wouldn't fuck up live rounds.  

My first fleet qual was with the A-2 on CAMPEN probably 1985 during GSOP.  The Hbar and new rear sights were very welcome.  I added 10 points to my bootcamp qual score.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Just ask him if his rear sight was adjustable for windage and elevation.
If he says he doesn't know, it's an A1 upper
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Also ask him if it had the brass deflector?  He would diffenitely remember if he was left handed.

CD
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I went to MCRD in 2-1984. We had the M16A-1 throughout and qualified with them. They actually issued us nails to adjust the rear sight so we wouldn't fuck up live rounds.

My first fleet qual was with the A-2 on CAMPEN probably 1985 during GSOP. The Hbar and new rear sights were very welcome. I added 10 points to my bootcamp qual score.
View Quote

Went in 10/'85.

We had A2's, but no manuals for them-had to scratch out the A1 info and add in the differences.

Nick
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I went to PI in 9/84, issued m16a1.  When I got out to the fleet we were issued brand so's kin new a2's.  I still have the rifle card somewhere.  Pretty sure it was a colt manufacture.  I should remember a lot more of the specifics as I sure as cleaned it enough. the rear adjustable fight made a huge difference.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I went to PI in 9/84, issued m16a1.  When I got out to the fleet we were issued brand so's kin new a2's.  I still have the rifle card somewhere.  Pretty sure it was a colt manufacture.  I should remember a lot more of the specifics as I sure as cleaned it enough. the rear adjustable fight made a huge difference.
View Quote

Would have been Colt as FN did not get the contract until 1988.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#12]
The round hand guards were designed so the system no longer had to stock lefts and rights.

These are Filipino M16A1s with replacement guards:

"Heat":

Just nice:

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#13]
We had a1's 1981-5 at MCAS Cherry Point. Changed to a2's 1986~ at NAS Dallas. We were a reserve unit but were the highest stateside priority as our F4's were standing in for active squadrons transitioning to the F/A18.

By 1987 I think the entire Corps had transitioned to the a2's.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I was in from 82-90 in the aviation side. I qualed with the A2 in late 86. This was at MCAS Cherry Point in north carolina.

It seemed to me that the new gear came into service firdt on the east coast,  so the west coast and overseas may have gotten the A2s even later. This applies to the airwing...ground side probanly got A2s even earlier.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, is your buddy building the 80% lower, or are you?  B/c you can't build an 80% lower w/ the intent to give it to someone.  That's a felony.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I came in at MCRD in 3-87. I never saw an A1 in my 4.5 years, only A2.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#17]
A-2's in boot camp in 85, some of the guys who got recycled had A-1's...
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, is your buddy building the 80% lower, or are you?  B/c you can't build an 80% lower w/ the intent to give it to someone.  That's a felony.
View Quote

I haven't heard that.

If you build an 80% with the intent to sell it, that is certainly a no-no, but doing one as a gift isn't the same thing as selling one..
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I haven't heard that.

If you build an 80% with the intent to sell it, that is certainly a no-no, but doing one as a gift isn't the same thing as selling one..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  OP, is your buddy building the 80% lower, or are you?  B/c you can't build an 80% lower w/ the intent to give it to someone.  That's a felony.

I haven't heard that.

I'd be happy to be corrected, but that's as I understand it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I was in from Feb. 1978- Feb. 1984 and all I ever saw was an A1. We had not even heard of an A2. Heck, I was in the first Series at MCRD Parris Island that received the new ERDL camouflage utilities. We were issued two sets of these and two sets of ODs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I haven't heard that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't heard that.

If his friend gives him money for it its a no go, he can build it and gift it and will be fine, just like if I bought a gun and gifted it to my dad or wife.

OP, if you have been building and selling them to friends I would stop asap.

And if he was in during the early 80's it may of been a transition rifle with A1 upper and A2 stock,hand guards,et ect.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If his friend gives him money for it its a no go, he can build it and gift it and will be fine, just like if I bought a gun and gifted it to my dad or wife.

And if he was in during the early 80's it may of been a transition rifle with A1 upper and A2 stock,hand guards,et ect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't heard that.

Why is it a Felony to build a rifle for a friend? I thought it was easy to get rifles in USA?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  Why is it a Felony to build a rifle for a friend? I thought it was easy to get rifles in USA?
View Quote

Taking an 80% lower to a working AR receiver is manufacturing.  You can manufacture as many lowers as you like for yourself.  The question is whether you can make lowers for your friends as gifts.  There are different opinions about this here, so I'm going to start a thread, probably in Build It Yourself, to see if we can get a definitive answer, with references.  I'd be quite happy to be proved wrong on this point.

There's no question you can gift a completed rifle, or even a stripped AR receiver made by someone else, to a friend.

ETA:  New thread for this question, so we can stop tromping on OP's thread:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/663316_.html
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top