Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 10:15:25 PM EDT
Found a bunch of nice looking ones at the local gunshow last weekend. Was hoping to find an obvious C but no luck. Found a bunch of F marked (I'm assuming FN) and some with a circle with a number, some with a letter A.

How did Colt mark there grips? I'd like to get a nice, earlier Colt grip for a build.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of Colt A2 PG's from the early 90's and they either have 2 or a 4 inside the circle.  These have a shinier finish and little fatter than current production A2 PG's from other brands.  I recently bought a couple of Colt take-off A2 PG's from civilian SOCOM rifles and they both have the F inside the well of the PG.  They're still beefier than other brands and have matte finish.  I'll try to post some pics when I have a chance.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
They are beefier than the others in the side swell as Pro said, and I find the material is more fiberous and less shiney.
I found a buch and swaped out the ones that were not Colts.  Never checked for any markings.  I'll take a gander tomorrow
if possible and report.  These would be late 90's mfg.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My Sporter has beefier grips than my other home build. I bought it in '93 and it has a 2 in a circle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#4]
The F marked ones where almost grey and chalky, like the earlier A2 stocks, and the one with the circle was smooth and a little shiny. The one with the A looked after market, as is was very smooth and very shiny.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Found a bunch of nice looking ones at the local gunshow last weekend. Was hoping to find an obvious C but no luck. Found a bunch of F marked (I'm assuming FN) and some with a circle with a number, some with a letter A.

How did Colt mark there grips? I'd like to get a nice, earlier Colt grip for a build.

Thanks.
View Quote

I go by look and feel i.e. if they're "fat" , grey-ish, and have a "softer" feel.
They seem to be getting harder to find these days. I see dumpster loads of those skinny hard plastic ones.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Pics of Colt A2 PG's as promised.  #1 is from a 90's Sporter rifle marked circle 4 inside PG well; #2 is current civilian SOCOM take-off marked F3 inside well and current production non-Colt.  You can tell in the second picture that #1 is even beefier than #2 and has a rubberized feel to it.  #2 has chalky finish and still fatter than the current production non-Colts.

" />
" />
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top