Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2014 7:39:46 PM EDT
Figure this forum is most appropriate for the question.  I purchased a LE trade in Colt 6520 that is in great shape overall.  Shot very little and carried a little...  Worst part is it probably spend most of its life the weapons rack (either in the trunk or between the seats) and has some carry handle damage.  I've considered replacing the upper with a new one if I can find a company that sells one with M4 feed ramp grooves.  Stripped is fine as I could take the parts off of the Colt upper.  

This will mainly be a beater gun but the last inch and a half of the carry handle is pretty beat up.  Worth replacing?  If so....where should I look?  An A2 upper from Colt seems out of the question as most I've found are for rifles, not carbines, and I'd have to have feed ramp grooves milled into the lower.  I'm not looking at spending that much time and money to do this, if I even bother to do it at all...

Paid $600 so even as is it's a bargain in my mind....

Obligatory full shot...

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
There are A2 stripped uppers that appear in EE from time to time. Also I'm sure if you google A2 uppers, something will come up.

Your carry handle almost looks like it was filed down.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
American spirit arms sells one, and they are on sale http://www.americanspiritarms.com/upper-receivers/asa-a2-ar-15-m4-upper-receiver/
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are A2 stripped uppers that appear in EE from time to time. Also I'm sure if you google A2 uppers, something will come up.

Your carry handle almost looks like it was filed down.
View Quote

It's def impact wear from rattling or vibration.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I purchased a Cerro forged A2 upper from M&A Parts 2 years ago that had factory M4 ramps, you might want to try them.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the leads guys... I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice carbine!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#7]
OP- I'm debating selling my Cerro Forge A2 upper with M4 ramps to fund a slickside Colt LMG upper. IM me if your still looking and we'll talk. It's made by same company that makes uppers for Colt, FN, CMT, LWRC,RRA, etc. It's been shot maybe 4-5 times but cleanedafter every trip to my rage. it still looks brand new and I stil have the box, and receipt that came with it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP- I'm debating selling my Cerro Forge A2 upper with M4 ramps to fund a slickside Colt LMG upper. IM me if your still looking and we'll talk. It's made by same company that makes uppers for Colt, FN, CMT, LWRC,RRA, etc. It's been shot maybe 4-5 times but cleanedafter every trip to my rage. it still looks brand new and I stil have the box, and receipt that came with it.
View Quote

Who machined the upper?  Cerro Forge provided the raw forging, as they do for the companies you mentioned, but AFAIK they do not do machining.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#9]
It was on a factory Bushmaster M4A1 Carbine made in 2005-06 in Windham ME.

ETA- It's still on the rifle, I'm just debating buying one of the new slickside Aero-Precision Slickside uppers with brass deflector. Actually slickside isn't a correct term, the upper doesn't have provisions for  a forward assist but has a standard brunton bump/brass deflector. Brownells is selling them right now for $81.50 with 15% off, so I can get one for $69.28.  I'm thinking it's a no brainer but then the Bushy Carbine won't be 100% BMI.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top