Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2014 12:12:11 PM EDT
Am I the only one happy that Colt is producing AR15A4 clones with non F marked FSB?

You realize what this means, don't you?

You can have a genuine Colt M16A2 Clone!  All you have to do is swap out the flat top on the A4 with an A2 upper.  That's it!  You're done!  If you want to be super authentic, you can even swap in a Colt marked A2 upper.

Sell the flat top and carry handle and recoop your costs.  Am I the only one who has thought of / is doing the above?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Imo part of the reason of having a 20" would be greater distance shooting and a flat top and the lower scope height is more conducive to that end. But to each his own.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Why are you posting on the A2 forum?  

To address your points anyway, a scope can be a detriment to a general purpose combat rifle, a carry handle can still accommodate a scope fine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
LOL.  We get no love and people purposely come in here and post about how flat tops are better.  Isn't the first time.  I wonder why people do that?  Do they do that in the retro forum?  

An A2 is certainly looked at as the red headed step child of AR's.  

But your idea is good.  I already have a Colt A2 20", so I won't be doing that.   But it IS a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, it's a form of jealousy and insecurity because people feel they have to justify things to themselves.  For a combat / SHTF role I'd consider a fixed carry handle far superior to a flat top.  And you can easily still mount an optic.  The higher cheek weld for the scope never bothered me, in fact I think the flattop mount is a too low!  

Is your Colt A2 a GI profile barrel with a lower that has standard size pivot pins and FCG pins?

What I described is how you can get the most accurate M16A2 clone yet!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a GI profile, and the lower has the right sized take down pins.  But it's a screw in.  And the FCG pins are NOT gi sized.  It has a neutered bcg and one of those blocks in the receiver.  And NO bayo lug.  So yeah, you're right, the way you describe would be closer.  I didn't really take into account those little details to matter that much.  But I guess for some it is a big deal.  The FCG pin size is kind of stupid.  Plus the block in the receiver doesn't allow you to put an RRA 2 stage trigger in there.  

So I guess mine is more of a rough clone.  LOL.  Sorry.

I agree about the height.  We are in the minority.  But I feel like I'm cramming the stock right under my cheek bone.  It's fine, but a bit higher would still give pretty good cheek weld.  A garand and M14 are a bit more generous room and nobody would say they have terrible cheek weld.  A scope on top of a rail is getting a bit high, but an acog on the carry handle would probably close to ideal.  Something right in between that and the standard iron height would be perfect, IMHO.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... people purposely come in here and post about how flat tops are better...
View Quote

then there are the ones like me who have a flat top and leave the carry handle on it and never take it off, using it like an a2.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#7]
...OK, I will confess!!  I bought a Colt AR-15A4 Lower Receiver WITH the ideal of having the "AR-15A4" filled-in and re-engraved with "AR-15A2."   I know that this is a little extreme, but I always wanted a correct looking Colt Defense "A2" with the caliber "5.56mm" markings for the collection.

I have a Colt Sporter Target upper that will be added to this project, but I'll be adding a new front sight assembly with a bayonet lug and swapping out the older Colt Bolt Carrier with a M-16/M4 Bolt Carrier.

The problem that I'm facing with this project is;

A) Finding somebody who can fill-in and re-engrave the receiver with "AR-15A2" in manner that it will be identical the font/style of the original "AR-15A4"... I figure it will be a closer match if I have it fully engraved with "AR-15A2" verse simply filling in "A4" and "hope" that it will line up properly and match... IMHO

B) Finding somebody who can correctly add a spray coating finish like Duracoat type product that matches the current Colt black AND is also super-SUPER flat without ANY signs of a sheen... Since I will be filling-in the  "AR-15A4," I will not be able to have if refinished back to the original factory/USGI "anodized" specs.  

Currently I'm in a hold pattern till I can resolve these two issues... I was simply going to go with a pre-ban "A2," but I'm not to crazy with the slab-side lower receiver... Yes, its a true "A2," BUT, not a very correct looking "A2."   Again, a little extreme!!    

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Just learn to live with the A4, there are worse roll marks out there than being off by one number.  Otherwise, do what this guy did HERE (Look for the post by Warhorses).

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top