Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2014 11:00:08 PM EDT
I went to the gun show today, and happened to be at a vendor when a guy approached wanting to sell a stripped A2 upper. Turned out to be a real Colt A2 upper. I guess $40 was a reasonable price. Now I just have to find a rear sight. I also scored a BFPU fiberlite stock. I did find some other goodies for my "in progress" next A2 carbine.
ETA: almost forgot- I grabbed a Colt 20 rnd mag with an aluminum follower. Last one the guy had. $12
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Oaks show in PA by any chance?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

I scored an N stock as well, probably from the same guy. Going on my 653 build.

Nice score on that upper.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice score. Cheapest I have found for an A2 upper was $85.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ETA: almost forgot- I grabbed a Colt 20 rnd mag with an aluminum follower. Last one the guy had. $12
View Quote

Nice price!  I ran into a stack of 20 or so in a small gunshop a few years back. Paid $15 each and bought two and talked to owner about buying the rest on my next trip. We settled on $10 a piece for remaining 18.

Then Sandyhook happened. Went back and all were gone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:35:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes

I bet it was too. I just looked at mine, it does have a 1 and an N under the adjusting handle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice score. Cheapest I have found for an A2 upper was $85.
View Quote

This one is completely stripped, so not a lot of savings there, and it's only redeeming factor is that it is a Colt. A month or so back, I got one with everything on it, plus a FSB, all for $60. It won't end up being such a bargain, after I build another AR with it
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a nice retro day there also. No A2 parts, but lots of retro goodness. I got 2 20 round .223 colt mags for $10 each. Complete 80's helment in perfect condition for $40. OD green M1 sling for $8. Plus a bunch of small parts. It's been a while since a show was worth the price of admission. Nice score on the mag and upper. Did you see Sarco had "c" grade A1 kits for $350. The uppers were perfect. It was very tempting, but I don't need another 603.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I walked around the Sarco tables a couple of times. I was checking out their A1 kits but my budget for the show wouldn't allow me to get one.  The 20 rnd mag I got says Colt Ar15 & 5.56 MM on the floor plate. I have to clean up and lube the follower. It has a little corrosion on it. But overall, the body is good and the feed lips are perfect.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Depending on the price you paid for the Colt N1 CAR stock that was your best find of the day, they sell for upwards of $100.00 in VG+ condition.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Depending on the price you paid for the Colt N1 CAR stock that was your best find of the day, they sell for upwards of $100.00 in VG+ condition.
View Quote

I paid under that, but the condition is good for a BFPU. Well used, but no cracks, worn in places. I have no complaints with the price or condition. I did have choice of  which one I wanted out of I think 6 or 7 that he had.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had a nice retro day there also. No A2 parts, but lots of retro goodness. I got 2 20 round .223 colt mags for $10 each. Complete 80's helment in perfect condition for $40. OD green M1 sling for $8. Plus a bunch of small parts. It's been a while since a show was worth the price of admission. Nice score on the mag and upper. Did you see Sarco had "c" grade A1 kits for $350. The uppers were perfect. It was very tempting, but I don't need another 603.
View Quote

Not sure how I forgot this one... I got a military 727 type (reinfourcement bands) complete stock, tube, castle nut, plate, spring and buffer for $50. It is in great shape.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:The 20 rnd mag I got says Colt Ar15 & 5.56 MM on the floor plate. I have to clean up and lube the follower.
View Quote

Still a great find and a good price.

The two I got are in great shape with one having a scratch on the plate, the other is worn on the plate. That one the .223 is hard to read, but there. They should go well with my 605 and 607.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The two I got are in great shape with one having a scratch on the plate, the other is worn on the plate. That one the .223 is hard to read, but there. They should go well with my 605 and 607.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:The 20 rnd mag I got says Colt Ar15 & 5.56 MM on the floor plate. I have to clean up and lube the follower.

I took the mag apart today and brushed the follower as best I could, gave it a snort of CLP, and it works like a charm now. No more sticky follower. I did the same with the CAR stock. Pulled out the pin and spring, cleaned them up, and the adjuster works good now too. My XM177E2 TM says to use LSA, but I didn't have any, so CLR it was there too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Went to another gun show today. I spent a couple of $$ on small parts, but...... I found another Colt fiberlite stock. I thought about negotiating on the price, but said what the heck. I gave him his $10 asking price! I also found a "like new", Colt, made in Japan, 4x20 scope. It has lense covers, and the windage cover is intact. The only marks on it are from mounting it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Went to another gun show today. I spent a couple of $$ on small parts, but...... I found another Colt fiberlite stock. I thought about negotiating on the price, but said what the heck. I gave him his $10 asking price! I also found a "like new", Colt, made in Japan, 4x20 scope. It has lense covers, and the windage cover is intact. The only marks on it are from mounting it.
View Quote

Sounds like a huge score on the Japanese Hakko Scope depending on what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, sounds like you done good.  !!!  No pics?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sounds like a huge score on the Japanese Hakko Scope depending on what you paid for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sticker was $200, but I offered $175, and he took it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, sounds like you done good.  !!!  No pics?
View Quote

Sunday in the sunlight will have to work. I only have a crappy cell phone cam, with no light.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got it for about $150.00 less than it's worth. Lucky SOB.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Sorry for the crappy pics. I used my crappy cell fone cam.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#22]
The top center of the elevation/yards knob is the cap to remove (counterclockwise?) to set the elevation to match POA? The little knob/cap on the right side comes off to reveal setting knob/screw for the windage. The top one seems rather snug and I don't want to force anything until I know for sure.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool!!

Yes the top one will adjust elevation, and the side windage.  And then you can spin the whole knob to dial in elevation.  Of course.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cool!!

Yes the top one will adjust elevation, and the side windage.  And then you can spin the whole knob to dial in elevation.  Of course.
View Quote

Thanks. That means I have to remove the center cover on the top to access the elevation knob. I saw a pic of a 3x20 scope missing that cover, and I saw the threads inside the top setting knob. Now to remove it without damaging anything. I may have to send it out to someone with experience to remove/loosen it for me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#25]
You stole that scope, it's brand new looking and even has the leather lens protectors to boot, which most used ones the covers are long gone. Don't peel that inspection sticker off the scope body as having that sticker adds to the value and it's authenticity. I'm jealous, it's that nice.... I scored a Colt 3x20 Hakko in similar condition, 3x20s are worth slightly more but mine is missing the leather lense protectors.

ETA - If you want to remove the top cap and it's stuck, try hitting it with some penetrating oil first.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice score! What show was this one from? I did not know there were any going on this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice score! What show was this one from? I did not know there were any going on this weekend.
View Quote

Nur Temple, Rt 13, south of Wilmington, De.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You stole that scope, it's brand new looking and even has the leather lens protectors to boot, which most used ones the covers are long gone. Don't peel that inspection sticker off the scope body as having that sticker adds to the value and it's authenticity. I'm jealous, it's that nice.... I scored a Colt 3x20 Hakko in similar condition, 3x20s are worth slightly more but mine is missing the leather lense protectors.

ETA - If you want to remove the top cap and it's stuck, try hitting it with some penetrating oil first.
View Quote

No insp sticker, only price sticker in pic. It has some markings on the bottom, "Made in Japan", and "AO-02 08", I think is correct #'s, I don't have the scope handy. I did get the elev cover loose. It looks like it needs a larger caliber rimmed cartridge as a tool.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Try using a coin to loosen it, many scopes were made to be adjusted with a dime or a quarter, not sure about the Colt 4x20's as I don't own one yet but I've owned many scopes that could be adjusted with a coin.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#30]
After fooling around, and mounting the scope on my A1 and A2 rifles, it seems the eye relief is too long. I have been reading, and consensus is your nose should be almost to the CH. If that is the case, then I may as well trade in all my fixed stock, and get the little short LE style ones. My arms are way too short, or the stocks are way too long. The CAR stock all the way in is the only way I can get that close to the CH or the scope eyepiece.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:32:21 AM EDT
[#31]
If an A2 stock is too long for you then I'd suggest swapping it out for an A1 Type E, they are essentially the same in appearance but the Type E is shorter but not so short that many wouldn't even notice it's a different stock.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
After fooling around, and mounting the scope on my A1 and A2 rifles, it seems the eye relief is too long. I have been reading, and consensus is your nose should be almost to the CH. If that is the case, then I may as well trade in all my fixed stock, and get the little short LE style ones. My arms are way too short, or the stocks are way too long. The CAR stock all the way in is the only way I can get that close to the CH or the scope eyepiece.
View Quote

Well now, if you have no use for it let me know and I'll be happy to get you your money back!

I'm sure you will find a way to use it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well now, if you have no use for it let me know and I'll be happy to get you your money back!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the offer. Mighty generous of you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If an A2 stock is too long for you then I'd suggest swapping it out for an A1 Type E, they are essentially the same in appearance but the Type E is shorter but not so short that many wouldn't even notice it's a different stock.
View Quote

I think I may give this a go and see how it works out. I checked my A1, and from my nose to the CH looks to be about 2"+ or so.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I think you mean the eye relief is "too short".  Or at least that's how I would understand it.  LOL.  But yeah, I hear ya.  It's one of the issues with these scopes.  You just have to blade yourself a little more to get close.  If you're used to shooting super squared off, it probably won't work with an A2 stock and that sight.  But when sitting down, prone or whatever, if you angle your body more it will get your eye closer.  Prone especially always moves you closer.  Well, at least how I do it.  I have kind of a long neck though and don't usually have too much of a problem.  I do remember getting my lip beat up though one time from the charging handle from recoil when using this type of scope.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top