Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2014 4:42:09 PM EDT
Question -

What sort of hand guards should a Model 727 have?

Skinny six hole    or

Skinny seven hole?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#1]

The 7 are a commercial item.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 7 are a commercial item.
View Quote

Okay,
Thanks for the fast response.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt 6 hole, with more of a glossy finish to them due to the better density of the glass nylon used to deal with heat.

The pistol grip is also different than all the non-Colt ones on the market.  It's made of stronger materials, and has a larger swell to it.

Basically every single part is different than 99% of what you will find on the market that appears to be the same, but isn't.  If you are just going for a casual look-alike, it will be easy to throw together.

If you are a purist or looking for high volume performance from it, there are certain things you will need to find. Those guns hold up very well, and run all day and night, day after day.  They also had feed ramps on the uppers, making them different than standard A2 uppers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Colt 6 hole, with more of a glossy finish to them due to the better density of the glass nylon used to deal with heat.

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos05/may/952m16d.jpg

The pistol grip is also different than all the non-Colt ones on the market.  It's made of stronger materials, and has a larger swell to it.

Basically every single part is different than 99% of what you will find on the market that appears to be the same, but isn't.  If you are just going for a casual look-alike, it will be easy to throw together.

If you are a purist or looking for high volume performance from it, there are certain things you will need to find. Those guns hold up very well, and run all day and night, day after day.  They also had feed ramps on the uppers, making them different than standard A2 uppers.
View Quote

Looks good. Is there a third pin or is that just engraved to look like there is one? It almost appears like you may have used a NDS-16A1 lower and had it engraved with additional marking. Just my guess. But then again, after a further look, there appears to be a 14.5" barrel with an A2 FH and Colt forge marks on the upper. This would lead me to believe that it could the real deal, but still unsure.

Mine sits on a NDS-16A1 lower with a 14.5" M4 barrel and an ext. A2 FH (permanent).

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I just pulled the pic from file.  Yours looks awesome by the way.  Care to detail your build list?  Is the upper Colt?  Stock looks like a good copy or an actual Fiberite.  Extension tube?  Handguards look like Colt.  Can't tell about your pistol grip.

These guns were more common with the Squids than anybody else.  I had made several suggestions through the SEP that we should be issued them in Recon units, for Key Leaders, RTO's, AB's, AG's, Combat Medics, Engineers, etc., but I knew the Army would never listen-made too much sense.  Imagine my surprise when I had an M4 in my hand by 1997, and never messed with the Kentucky long rifles again.

Yakima 1997 1-24 Infantry Recon, 25th Infantry Division.  We had been calling in A-10's and F-16C's off to my left several km, and watching them make their runs on tanks and other targets in the impact area.  It was cool to see metal on metal impact with the GAU-8 30mm from the A-10.  A lot of the enlisted men in the Platoon were pissed because they missed out on a Nine Inch Nails concert that week.

M4 with detachable carrying handle, double heat shield handguards, side sling adapter, fiberite stock.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Great pic.  That's a regular M4 with a detachable carry handle though, correct?  For some reason it looks like that to me but I also am kind of curious about the color.  It is very grey which to me would mean it's not a flat top.  But for some reason it looks a detachable carry handle to me eyeballs.

I wanna &*%^ you like an animal.......  ugh, I swear someone will just mention a band and the long term memory kicks in, or the subconscious or whatever.    And despite the fact that I don't really like that phrase repeating in my head, it does.  And whenever someone even mentions NIN, that's what I hear.  LOL
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.autoweapons.com/photos05/may/952m16d.jpg

View Quote

Thank you very much for the information.  I will build my model 727 clone based on the information you have given.  Thanks for the pictures as well.  

Now to find the thicker A2 grip you describe.  Hmmm.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great pic.  That's a regular M4 with a detachable carry handle though, correct?  For some reason it looks like that to me but I also am kind of curious about the color.  It is very grey which to me would mean it's not a flat top.  But for some reason it looks a detachable carry handle to me eyeballs.

I wanna &*%^ you like an animal.......  ugh, I swear someone will just mention a band and the long term memory kicks in, or the subconscious or whatever.    And despite the fact that I don't really like that phrase repeating in my head, it does.  And whenever someone even mentions NIN, that's what I hear.  LOL
View Quote

Colt C AF marked flat-top uppers from the early 90's were grey like that.  I've got two- one is a A4 upper (no ramps), one is marked "4" above the cloverleaf.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Colt C AF marked flat-top uppers from the early 90's were grey like that.  I've got two- one is a A4 upper (no ramps), one is marked "4" above the cloverleaf.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So do you think I'm seeing that picture right?  It looks like it's got the little bump outs that attach to the rail on the side of the carry handle.  The left side has the knobs.  

I didn't realize that about the color.  I don't know if I've ever seen one on here, even with all of the builds I've seen over the years.  Can't remember though.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#10]
You are seeing that picture right IMO.  That is a detachable carry handle M4 to my eyes also.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#11]
The early ones were grey.

Back then  having an M4/M4A1 was a status symbol.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well....guess when I get around to building an M4 it's going to be grey.  We're there any other differences other than finish?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just pulled the pic from file.  Yours looks awesome by the way.  Care to detail your build list?  Is the upper Colt?  Stock looks like a good copy or an actual Fiberite.  Extension tube?  Handguards look like Colt.  Can't tell about your pistol grip.

These guns were more common with the Squids than anybody else.  I had made several suggestions through the SEP that we should be issued them in Recon units, for Key Leaders, RTO's, AB's, AG's, Combat Medics, Engineers, etc., but I knew the Army would never listen-made too much sense.  Imagine my surprise when I had an M4 in my hand by 1997, and never messed with the Kentucky long rifles again.

Yakima 1997 1-24 Infantry Recon, 25th Infantry Division.  We had been calling in A-10's and F-16C's off to my left several km, and watching them make their runs on tanks and other targets in the impact area.  It was cool to see metal on metal impact with the GAU-8 30mm from the A-10.  A lot of the enlisted men in the Platoon were pissed because they missed out on a Nine Inch Nails concert that week.

View Quote

The upper is a Cerro Forge A2 (no extended feed ramps). The stock is a repro from Model 1 sales. Receiver extension is a 2-position from NDS with an early castle nut. The barrel is a 14.5" Colt with an early FSB with no forge code marks. It has an extended A2 FH pinned and welded). The handguards are 6-hole Colts. The pistol grip is a standard A2. It has a Colt M16 BCG and the safety selector is a modified M16 selector (fin removed).

This carbine shoots great.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You are seeing that picture right IMO.  That is a detachable carry handle M4 to my eyes also.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have done some digging around........but I cannot seem to find any further pictures of a Grey M4 carbine.
Does anyone have any to share?  

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Well you got one right there.  LOL.  But yeah, that's why I mentioned it.  I don't think I've ever seen one before this one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:06:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have done some digging around........but I cannot seem to find any further pictures of a Grey M4 carbine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My issued M4A1 carbine from 1998-2007 was a grey carbine. 1995 dated barrel (until it was changed out), C and AF marked upper... Was from the 1995 run of M4A1s.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top