Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2014 9:38:10 PM EDT
I got an A2 upper on a trade a while back that turned out to be an XM-4 upper with a "4" stamped above the gas tube clover leaf & shallow M4 type feed ramps.  Finally had sometime today to "age" an already well-used CMMG lower to match the upper.  I still have to "age" a Colt M4 barrel that's being pinned & welded and waiting on a mil-surp N1 stock bought from member here on EE.  But here are the pics so far:

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
These BFPU's are great. Though I could never bring myself to do one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking good, can I give you a little constructive criticism? Go with darker takedown/pivot pins, trigger pins, etc. Safety, etc. It will help withthe BFPU contrast, of course scuff up the paddle on the safety and mag button, etc.....in the end you will be happy to have some more darker gray parts to match that upper as the lower is a bit light. On the barrel, you wanna put the wear in naterial areas such as the muzzle brake, FSB ears, and a little on the delta/slip ring. Looking good so far.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking good, can I give you a little constructive criticism? Go with darker takedown/pivot pins, trigger pins, etc. Safety, etc. It will help withthe BFPU contrast, of course scuff up the paddle on the safety and mag button, etc.....in the end you will be happy to have some more darker gray parts to match that upper as the lower is a bit light. On the barrel, you wanna put the wear in nmaterial areas such as the muzzle brake, FSB ears, and a little on the delta/slip ring. Looking good so far.
View Quote

I remember some of the FSB ears on the A2's, I saw or was issued, almost looked like they were polished. Really smooth and shiny.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#4]
This is what beat up look's like if you're interested in some reference, OP:

But not all look abused, as in look at this USAF M16A2 with an original 604 receiver:  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
How did you apply "wear" to that lower?  I have an A2 I built last year that is all black and I've been mulling over the idea of giving it that BFPU look.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How did you apply "wear" to that lower?  I have an A2 I built last year that is all black and I've been mulling over the idea of giving it that BFPU look.
View Quote

I've read some threads where members have aged their lowers by using sand paper.  I started with some 220 grit for the high spots that usually wears the most on actual rifles.  Then I moved up to 400 and went real slow on the rest of the lower.  I did remove more black finish than I'd like.  But that CMMG lower with the modern day black finish was way too dark for the charcoal gray Colt upper.  So that's why the lower has a bronze look to it.  But I like it and I have a BFPU mag to match the lower
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I love it, looks great!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't scuff that upper anymore than what it already is, I wanna buy that upper off you when you get sick of it and decide to build something else.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a link to an A1 BFPU I built with some details in it. I think the trick is duplicating the natural wear patterns if you can. Hold the lower in your hand and make a mental note of your contact points. Work them a little more then the high spots that would get rubbed off.

603 BFPU
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't scuff that upper anymore than what it already is, I wanna buy that upper off you when you get sick of it and decide to build something else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The upper & A2 rear sight assembly is about the only that didn't require any aging

Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a link to an A1 BFPU I built with some details in it. I think the trick is duplicating the natural wear patterns if you can. Hold the lower in your hand and make a mental note of your contact points. Work them a little more then the high spots that would get rubbed off.

603 BFPU

5437 thread above ^^^^ is what gave me the motivation to age the lower to match the upper.  I figure if I screwed up, I can always rattle can it and call it a Black Hawk Down 727 carbine
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top