Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 3:56:16 PM EDT
I have two builds planned.

I want to build an Early "Converted A1" M16A2 rifle and also a Model 741 HBAR rifle.  I have two A2 upper receivers and need to decide which one each should
be dedicated too.  Here are pictures of the two uppers I currently have....

The top one is an Eagle Arms that has no forge codes.........the bottom one has FN forge codes.

I know I will need to get the FN upper finished in grey since both of these rifles should be grey.  Here are my other thoughts on what parts I have decided to use for these respective builds... but I am open to advice and information to help me make the best decision.

M16A2 (Early Converted A1) Rifle
- 20 inch (5.56) gov. profile barrel with A2 FH/peel washers to time.
- A1 lower receiver (with the "Auto" X'd out.......and "BURST" stamped below it.........also plan to have the lower stamped "ANAD" (Anniston Army Depot) month/year on the right side of the magwell. That shows the rebuild armory and date converted. (I still need to decide on a date??)
- Big head (uncut) foward assist button assembly
- A2 rear stock assembly
- A2 PG, round hand guards with "shiny" finish
- BCG ?  not sure what type to use

Model 741 M16A2 HBAR
- 20 inch (5.56) heavy barrel
- A2 lower
- A2 rear stock assembly
- M60 bipod assembly and bushing attached to barrel.
- A2 PG and round hand guards

Just wondering if I have these details correct or am I on the wrong track?
Any advice would be appreciated.  Like I said, I know I will need to send some parts off to get finished in grey.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I would use the no forge code vs. the FN , but I would loose the Eagle Arms windage knob. Original Colts aren't too hard to comeby and the forge codes would match what you are building so I would just sell one and buy a Colt if it was my build.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would use the no forge code vs. the FN , but I would loose the Eagle Arms windage knob. Original Colts aren't too hard to comeby and the forge codes would match what you are building so I would just sell one and buy a Colt if it was my build.
View Quote

Okay.  Perhaps I could look around and find a Colt A2 upper then?

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd sell the Eagle upper, buy another FN upper and just use the ones you'd then have - without any refinish - especially since you're building an arsenal refinish clone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Put the windage knob from the FN upper on the Armalite/Eagle Arms and build away.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top