Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2014 11:38:53 AM EDT
Okay,
I have decided to use my 1:9 (5.56) Heavy Barrel and build a clone of the Model 741- M16A2 HBAR.  I know it should be a 1:7 twist rate barrel, but have decided to use what I already have.  Besides I got this barrel in trade from a very good friend, and would like to build it into something cool.  I am fairly sure the parts should have a grey finish, so some of my parts will need to get refinished.  But anyone who has done this build before........and has any advice.....I would greatly appreciate it.

These are the only pictures I have found so far of the Model 741- M16A2 HBAR clone.  SO if anyone has some to share, please do so.  )

I also have an M60 bipod assembly coming as well.  But I donot have the bushing to adapt them to my Heavy Barrel assembly.  So I will be working that out.  I have a very good friend that could prob make on for me, if I had the dimensions or specs.  Perhaps someone has some good up close pictures of one??

I plan on getting an A2 grey lower from NODAK for this build as well.  I am also in need of some smaller parts.........like the buffer tube, buffer, and buffer spring (for the rear stock pictured below) and a charging handle, BCG, and gas tube.  But those parts I should be able to find easy enough.

Here are some pictures of the parts I have so far.....

The barrel assembly

Now, I do have two different A2 uppers.  The one on  the top in the picture is an Eagle Arms (Grey Finish already) the one of the bottom is an FN (Black finish).  SO, I would like some advice on which upper you guys would use on this HBAR.  I realize that I will need to get the parts refinished in grey if I use the FN one to go with this build.  I was going to use which ever one is left over on a standard M16A2 build eventually.  So any advice here is greatly appreciated.

That is all the parts I have pictures of right now.  I will update this when my M60 bipod arrives.  )
This stuff is a blast!!  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea why my photos are upside down.  They look just fine in my web hosting picture site??
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The bushing is the only major difference. Check the gunbroker auctions for an original. The photos might be enough.

I had a 941 upper, the bipod affecting zero allot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the bushings Inside Diameter on Mr.M1A's kit? You could send the bipod adapter kit to John Thomas so he can fit it to a.750 barrel.

ETA - I'd use the FN upper later for another A2 build in case you ever want to assemble a correct FN upper.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the bushings Inside Diameter on Mr.M1A's kit? You could send the bipod adapter kit to John Thomas so he can fit it to a.750 barrel.

ETA - I'd use the FN upper later for another A2 build in case you ever want to assemble a correct FN upper.
View Quote

Good idea.  MrM1A's bushings were made for the A1 pencil barrels.  Yes, perhaps I should check with John Thomas about getting a bushing made for this A2 barrel.

Yea, of the three A2 uppers I have........I will prob end up using the " American Eagle" upper for this build.  Thanks for your input.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Good idea.  MrM1A's bushings were made for the A1 pencil barrels.  Yes, perhaps I should check with John Thomas about getting a bushing made for this A2 barrel.

Yea, of the three A2 uppers I have........I will prob end up using the " American Eagle" upper for this build.  Thanks for your input.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the .625 bushing and have John Thomas bore it out from .625 ID to .750 ID. It's not a big job and prolly won't cost much. Go to www.retroarmsworks.com get John's number and shoot him a call.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Get the .625 bushing and have John Thomas bore it out from .625 ID to .750 ID. It's not a big job and prolly won't cost much. Go to www.retroarmsworks.com get John's number and shoot him a call.
View Quote

I thought about that.  I will contact him and see what he says...........however just looking at them..........there is not a whole lot of meat there to thin......but I am no expert.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I thought about that.  I will contact him and see what he says...........however just looking at them..........there is not a whole lot of meat there to thin......but I am no expert.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Don't think about it, do it. JT is a super guy, and he could make you one from scratch if you needed. He's a retro legend, and does amazing work. He's done several things for me all with outstanding results. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't think about it, do it. JT is a super guy, and he could make you one from scratch if you needed. He's a retro legend, and does amazing work. He's done several things for me all with outstanding results. Highly recommended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't agree with this more. John WILL make it happen.....
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top