Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2014 9:40:52 AM EDT
Does anyone use an A-2 rifle as a hunting platform and if so on what type of game ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used "M4 styled guns" on hogs with 70 grain TSX on hogs with 16 inch barrels.

The wounds are devastating, and can punch through both sides.  

Out of a 20 inch tube, I would expect the results to be just as good out to 200 yards on hog/deer sized game, as long as you have good shot placement.

Just be cognizant of mag regulations on semi autos i your area.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I took a nice whitetail with an AR last year.  I wouldn't classify it as A-2 style, but it is a 5.56 with a 20" barrel.  

+1 on the magazine restrictions.  My state has one magazine restriction - "Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven rounds of ammunition."  You can go to town if you have 6.8 though

ETA:  ~200 pound deer, less than 50 yards.  I was shooting a hand-rolled 75 grain Swift Scirocco II
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#3]
yes.

hogs.

62-69 grn.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I took mine deer hunting once but didn't get to use it.  It was a long time ago before it was more accepted and I took some flak for it.  But I never got to prove it.  Oh well.

Only thing I don't like it loading it when getting out of the vehicle if you're trying to be quiet.  Sometimes that can be irritating.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Ride bolt and use that "useless" forward assist
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I killed an antelope with mine.

When I was 12 or so (1976 -they were not common) my dad let me use his SP1 deer hunting  - should have seen the looks I got walking along a public road with it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I killed an antelope with mine.

When I was 12 or so (1976 -they were not common) my dad let me use his SP1 deer hunting  - should have seen the looks I got walking along a public road with it.
View Quote

LOL, that must've been something.  

And yeah, that FA, I did do it that way, but for some reason it made me nervous.  Like there was a chance it wasn't fully close and wouldn't fire and I'd miss an opportunity.  I also locked the bolt back and inserted the mag, and then put my soft cover case over it while I let the bolt go home to mask the sound.  But that seemed sort of dangerous or something.  The way you said to do it is probably the best, but like I said, made me uneasy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I shot a deer wearing a gillie suit and using an open sights A2 several years ago. It worked fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I took mine deer hunting once but didn't get to use it.  It was a long time ago before it was more accepted and I took some flak for it.  But I never got to prove it.  Oh well.

Only thing I don't like it loading it when getting out of the vehicle if you're trying to be quiet.  Sometimes that can be irritating.
View Quote

I never understood that... it's ok to shoot at a 250lbs Russian in body armor with a helmet, but inhumane to take a deer? Get a good load and watch your mag restrictions for where you are and have at it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I shot a deer wearing a gillie suit and using an open sights A2 several years ago. It worked fine.
View Quote

He must have been hard to see !  Just kidding ya.  I have shot some Javalina, here in AZ that you would have thought too much for the M855 cartridge, but shot placement is the key.  As we all know.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I never understood that... it's ok to shoot at a 250lbs Russian in body armor with a helmet, but inhumane to take a deer? Get a good load and watch your mag restrictions for where you are and have at it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but that's partly the rub, most of those guys will tell you the M-16 is a BB gun.  The typical old school gun store talk knows no end.  I think times are changing.  Somewhat.  But it's been a while since I hunted with them all.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but that's partly the rub, most of those guys will tell you the M-16 is a BB gun.  The typical old school gun store talk knows no end.  I think times are changing.  Somewhat.  But it's been a while since I hunted with them all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I've taken deer with a my 14.5" M4ergy carbine and just built a M16A4 clone to hunt with.  Unfortunitely won't be hunting with it this year.

CD
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#14]

One thing I've learned over the years is that new technology works better, but old technology still works.

Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One thing I've learned over the years is that new technology works better, but old technology still works.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/734x979q90/905/BX2iPZ.jpg

View Quote

Nice kill  Couch, is that the 7.62x39 Colt you always talked about?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:14:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've taken deer with a my 14.5" M4ergy carbine and just built a M16A4 clone to hunt with.  Unfortunitely won't be hunting with it this year.

CD
View Quote

I was just thinking about you and thinking you were over there serving.  Sorry you're missing deer season and my prayers are with you.

I didn't know you built an A4!!!!!  I don't believe you posted pics in the A4 pic thread.  hehehehe.  

What type of ammo did you use with your M4gery on deer?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/734x979q90/905/BX2iPZ.jpg

View Quote

Good shootin Tex.  Nice pic!
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:59:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was just thinking about you and thinking you were over there serving.  Sorry you're missing deer season and my prayers are with you.

I didn't know you built an A4!!!!!  I don't believe you posted pics in the A4 pic thread.  hehehehe.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Just built the A4 upper before I left so no pics posted yet as I'm still looking for a FN lower receiver.  I'll take care of that later.  Ammo for the 3 deer was with Mk262 (case I won at the All Army Matches), all less then 50 yds.  Used Winchester 64gr JSP last year but no shots presented themselves when hunting with the M4ergy.  Did get one with my bolt .308 however.

CD
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#19]
a friend of mine used to hunt deers with his Colt.
no problem using heavier bullets at 150m.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#20]

The Federal 62GR M855 does work fairly well on average sized javalena  But I got some of that Prvi Partizan 75rgn Hollow Point Boat Tail Match grade, from AimSurplus, and all I can say is WOW.

This stuff can hold a pretty tight group, plus it has the weight needed to knock down a pretty heavy javalena out to really decent ranges.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top