Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2014 10:17:54 PM EDT
I can't seem to find the proper dimension for the A2 gas port (hole in the barrel) in my reference collection.

I built my son an A2, using a PSA premium upper.  It short strokes pretty regularly currently.  The PSA BCG that was originally in the upper has a sheared gas key screw, but it still won't function properly with a different, known to work bolt carrier I had laying around.

I'm also waiting for a new buffer spring, as the one in the gun seems too strong.  It requires much effort to retract the charging handle.  But if that won't fix the problem, I want to measure the gas port diameter before I do anything else.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
20" government .093"
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It's harder to find the gas port size for a 20" A1.  No one seems to know that information!
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Length Diam   Min Port   Max Port

20.00    0.625  0.086         0.093

20.00   0.750  0.093         0.096

From a post on the practical machinist.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/gas-port-location-235116/

I just moved to .125 on my 16" rifle gas dissipator barrel.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top