Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2014 12:09:20 AM EDT
Does any one know if this is a  1978 preban  if so any idea what its value would be
I like to move around upper and lowers and this large front pivot takes too long with the cam screw
I am considering selling it and getting a milspec lower such as a BCM
any thoughts

Thank You

Mike
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:21:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe sporter II's are mid to late 80's production and therefore preban but I don't know if or how long they were made into the 1990's. You can find out the year if you post your serial number range. Someone here will be able to tell you the year by the serial number, just leave out the last 2 numbers and replace them with xx for security. Or callcolt and they will sell you a certified birth certficate for your gun for $25.00, which will help you get top of the mark money if it's a preban.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 1:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
34xxxx is 87 or later.  Still preban, but nothing early.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but you may regret selling that to fundva bcm lower just so you can change out uppers more quickly.  It's true one man's trash is another man's treasure.  But dang....  some may find that kind of equipment very desireable and you might too someday.  I could be all wet, but I wouldn't do anything hasty.

Now, I'm kind of taking a tone like I would with my son, but for all I know you're older than me.  But.....  I'm just giving you something to think about.  Which you may have already but I still felt like saying it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for being sincere I will take your advice and keep it

called Colt is a 1987 R6420 pre ban
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank You called colt its a R6420 1987
Ive decided to keep it
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but you may regret selling that to fundva bcm lower just so you can change out uppers more quickly.  It's true one man's trash is another man's treasure.  But dang....  some may find that kind of equipment very desireable and you might too someday.  I could be all wet, but I wouldn't do anything hasty.

Now, I'm kind of taking a tone like I would with my son, but for all I know you're older than me.  But.....  I'm just giving you something to think about.  Which you may have already but I still felt like saying it.
View Quote

Can you elaborate? why would it be very desirable other than pre-ban for MA?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]
DPMS makes a push pin for the large hole Colts which replaces the double screw setup.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/takedown-parts/pins/old-colt-push-pin-prod24947.aspx

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it's a Colt.  It's probably got that grey finish.  Which you don't really see much anymore.  I'm not certain that it is, but that's how their finish was back then. If nothing else, it's kind of unique and some like that look. Also,  I was thinking there was a possibility that it was an A1 lower, which would make it really desirable. Since it's the bigger hole.  I'm not a Colt expert and wasn't sure if they made A2 lowers with the bigger hole. If it IS an A1 lower, it would make the perfect lower for a retro build.  

For some people an 80's Grey Colt lower might not be a big deal.  To others it might.  Either way though, it's probably unique in comparison to a typical lower today, and it could be hard to replace.   Just seems like something I'd be wishing I didn't do if I sold it.  

I would love to see pics.  

Do you have the lower with the buttstock?  Do you still have the upper too?  I wasn't sure if you talking about a whole carbine or not.  But a 6420 is a freaking nice lil carbine.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]

ETA: Just went back to re-read, I'm not so sure now if it is complete or he just has the lower. I'm curious too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]
My curiosity is piqued too.  I wonder if it's a car stock pinned or fixed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

A sporter II would have an A2 stock originally and 20" A2 upper, the early ones had C7 uppers with bighead forward assists according to what I've seen. Unless it's a Carbine I have the old Colt catalog pages from the 80's with the 700 series lineup including the 733 and Delta HBAR. Gotta find it.

Can't find mine but here's the 700 series lineup, appears even the A2 uppers had the bighead FA's at first. LINK
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A sporter II would have an A2 stock originally and 20" A2 upper, the early ones had C7 uppers with bighead forward assists according to what I've seen. Unless it's a Carbine I have the old Colt catalog pages from the 80's with the 700 series lineup including the 733 and Delta HBAR. Gotta find it.

Can't find mine but here's the 700 series lineup, appears even the A2 uppers had the bighead FA's at first. LINK
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but above he said Colt told him it was a 6420, which is a carbine.

We need pics from the op.  LOL.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A sporter II would have an A2 stock originally and 20" A2 upper, the early ones had C7 uppers with bighead forward assists according to what I've seen.
View Quote

Negative.   The early ones are completely slick and slab, meaning no forward assist or brunton bump at all and field sights.  A2 stock, A2 flash suppressor, round handguards, A2 pistol grip and A2 stock, 20" 1/7 Gov't profile barrel and A2 Sporter II rollmark, but otherwise identical to an SP1 as to internals and lower and upper receiver.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:58:50 AM EDT
[#14]
So your saying it has a slick side A2 upper? I must be thinking of the 711 with A1 upper, bighead FA and pencil barrel with all A2 components.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So your saying it has a slick side A2 upper? I must be thinking of the 711 with A1 upper, bighead FA and pencil barrel with all A2 components.
View Quote

Nothing A2 about the upper receiver itself at all - no bump, no forward assist, plain old field sights.  Colt used up the old parts on the line before building any sporters with new parts.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top