AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks to the lastest additions to this thread for their input and bumping it.   Some very good posts on here.  

Not me but a friend from church last weekend.  Rifle is zero'd and ready to take on the taliban.  Or ISIS.  Whatever.  I know it never will, but at least it's ready to.  

And I won't ever be swimming with it, so....  LOL.  

Combat Diver; did you ever feel like the A2 sights were a detriment?  I really like having adjustments more readily available, but so many people say they can move are a bad idea for a combat rifle.  I just like them in case I have to move them for different POI from different ammo.   And maybe someday I'll use them for a match shooting at distance.  Or my Son.  Or I suppose my daughter could use it too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Combat Diver; did you ever feel like the A2 sights were a detriment?  I really like having adjustments more readily available, but so many people say they can move are a bad idea for a combat rifle.  I just like them in case I have to move them for different POI from different ammo.   And maybe someday I'll use them for a match shooting at distance.  Or my Son.  Or I suppose my daughter could use it too.
View Quote

JJREA

Never thought they were a detriment.  I have never experienced the sights moving off when patrolling, sea kayaking, diving/swimming, parachuting, or skiing.  That includes M16A2s and M4A1s when using the handle.  One thing AMU taught me during the All Army Matches was to use a paint marker/sharpie to mark the side of the knob and knob on my zero.  This way I had a reference mark when I add my come ups I can return to zero quickly.  In 05-06 also had a M16A2 that I used on our rifle range in Iraq (max 485 yds to get ready for the 06 All Army Matches) and kept that to back up my other arms above my desk (Colt M16A2 (loaded with Mk262), Bulgarian AKM, Iraqi Tabuk DMR AKM, and Colt M4A1, not shown is the Mk13 .300 Win Mag bolt gun I signed out)  If I'm going to be gone, I'm going to have fun!

During the First Gulf War I learned that the Army's saying, "Train as you fight, Fight as you Train" is true.  Didn't think about our immediate action drills, just executed them and when I had a target I estimated the range and focusing on front sight (remember saying to self: target 175m, front sight, front sight, squeeze when under fire).  I also counted my rounds in my mag as I fired them off.  Again used a M16A2/M203 with quad sight (dropped couple HEDP into trench at 425m)

CD
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
My first build in 94 was an A2 Govt. It is one o f my two favorites. The other is the XM16E1.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Have an A2 build in the safe..

Double Star lower, CMMG LPK, Colt A2 stock, and complete FN A2 upper group.
Retimed the rear sight to the proper USMC 8/3-2.

Before I got out of the Corps, an armorer hooked me up with an issue sling.

I would love to find a nice all mil-spec Colt lower in grey, as I know where I can find pretty inexpensive Colt grey complete A2 uppers.

But aside from an M-16 registered lowers, finding a grey Colt lower that is 100% mil-spec isn't gonna happen.

The A2 was the only rifle I was ever issued. Got out before OIF...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice musket.
View Quote

One of these is not like the others
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

JJREA

Never thought they were a detriment.  I have never experienced the sights moving off when patrolling, sea kayaking, diving/swimming, parachuting, or skiing.  That includes M16A2s and M4A1s when using the handle.  One thing AMU taught me during the All Army Matches was to use a paint marker/sharpie to mark the side of the knob and knob on my zero.  This way I had a reference mark when I add my come ups I can return to zero quickly.  In 05-06 also had a M16A2 that I used on our rifle range in Iraq (max 485 yds to get ready for the 06 All Army Matches) and kept that to back up my other arms above my desk (Colt M16A2 (loaded with Mk262), Bulgarian AKM, Iraqi Tabuk DMR AKM, and Colt M4A1, not shown is the Mk13 .300 Win Mag bolt gun I signed out)  If I'm going to be gone, I'm going to have fun!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/9809gun_rack_2.jpg

During the First Gulf War I learned that the Army's saying, "Train as you fight, Fight as you Train" is true.  Didn't think about our immediate action drills, just executed them and when I had a target I estimated the range and focusing on front sight (remember saying to self: target 175m, front sight, front sight, squeeze when under fire).  I also counted my rounds in my mag as I fired them off.  Again used a M16A2/M203 with quad sight (dropped couple HEDP into trench at 425m)

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JJREA

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/9809gun_rack_2.jpg

CD

For some reason I always like the ARMS free float rail system.  I hear they're heavy, but they just remind me of when I first started getting into AR's and seeing those.  Half of the new fangled AR's all look really strange to me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Have an A2 build in the safe..

Double Star lower, CMMG LPK, Colt A2 stock, and complete FN A2 upper group.
Retimed the rear sight to the proper USMC 8/3-2.

Before I got out of the Corps, an armorer hooked me up with an issue sling.

I would love to find a nice all mil-spec Colt lower in grey, as I know where I can find pretty inexpensive Colt grey complete A2 uppers.

But aside from an M-16 registered lowers, finding a grey Colt lower that is 100% mil-spec isn't gonna happen.

The A2 was the only rifle I was ever issued. Got out before OIF...
View Quote

Thank you for serving!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice musket.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/musketA2_zps22ca685b.jpg

My trapdoor .45-70 Springfield would look at home in that pic too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

JJREA

Never thought they were a detriment.  I have never experienced the sights moving off when patrolling, sea kayaking, diving/swimming, parachuting, or skiing.  That includes M16A2s and M4A1s when using the handle.  [size=3]One thing AMU taught me during the All Army Matches was to use a paint marker/sharpie to mark the side of the knob and knob on my zero.  This way I had a reference mark when I add my come ups I can return to zero quickly. [/size=2]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

JJREA

Never thought they were a detriment.  I have never experienced the sights moving off when patrolling, sea kayaking, diving/swimming, parachuting, or skiing.  That includes M16A2s and M4A1s when using the handle.  [size=3]One thing AMU taught me during the All Army Matches was to use a paint marker/sharpie to mark the side of the knob and knob on my zero.  This way I had a reference mark when I add my come ups I can return to zero quickly. [/size=2]

This.

That is very important to do after you obtain your zero.  That way, if by change your rear sight was changed, you would not only know it but be able to easily correct it.

The only thing I don't like about the A2 sight is I wish the steel protective "ears" of the rear sight were raised a little higher to better protect the aperture from damage if dropped.  As it is, they are barely higher than it, and you can still drop the gun in such a way as to have the aperture take a direct hit which would ruin the sight.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This.

That is very important to do after you obtain your zero.  That way, if by change your rear sight was changed, you would not only know it but be able to easily correct it.

The only thing I don't like about the A2 sight is I wish the steel protective "ears" of the rear sight were raised a little higher to better protect the aperture from damage if dropped.  As it is, they are barely higher than it, and you can still drop the gun in such a way as to have the aperture take a direct hit which would ruin the sight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JJREA

This.

I never noticed that about the A2.  Is an A1 sides any higher than the the ap?  On an M14 and Garand there aren't any at all.  

I gotta get me one of these paint pencils.  Or I guess I could use a sharpie.  But a paint pencil would at least scratch off.  Or does sharpie come off with the right cleaners?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, the "wings" are much higher on the A1 in relation to the aperture than the A2.  I know about the M1 / M14 and that bugged me about them as well, though those rifles did have a much beefier aperture than the AR.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Just ordered a Fulton Armory Legacy Rifle...20 inch bbl.  You should check them out.
Yep.  The M16 started it all.

Love it
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice musket.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/musketA2_zps22ca685b.jpg

Third one down doesn't have a sling . . .  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice musket.

That is the 1816 restoration project.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just ordered a Fulton Armory Legacy Rifle...20 inch bbl.  You should check them out.Yep.  The M16 started it all.
Love it
View Quote

I like the idea, I just don't like the price.  Charging near $1,200 for a basic AR in this market, with ARs going for $500 and sometimes under, is just pure arrogance.  I can build a comparable rifle for almost half the cost.  I could see charging $800 for a retro niche AR, but $1,200?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top