BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2014 10:12:47 AM EDT
I've been back and forth on BRD for a while, and always end up spending money on optics and accessories to try to keep up with the latest fads, and always come back to a 20" with irons. I'm thinking of getting my first A2 rifle to try to keep the desire to add stuff to it at bay.
This would be my only AR. Would you be satisfied with an A2 rifle as your only AR? Or do you feel that missing out on optics and rails and whatnot is too much to give up?
I know I *could* add that stuff to it, but I'd have no desire to.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It's my fall back weapon.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#2]
If I had the choice I would pick a removable carry handle. Limiting flexibility for the express purpose of limiting your own compulsion to spend more money seems odd.

That said I would be perfectly comfortable with an A2 if that was my only choice. Thre has been a time in my life where I had no AR and I'm still alive so.......
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I already live that life.

Colt 6520 is my only AR15. It's a 16'' barrel though, not 20".
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Flat top with a carry handle & irons would be fine.

A-2 is also good if you only plan to use irons...

But a scope or red dot would be preferable...
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried a flat top with a carry handle. My hand doesnt fit in the carry handle, so A2 rifle it is, and an A2 carbine, oh, and cant forget the A1. I do admit, that I would like to try some sort of scope that I can move from one rifle to another.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Put an ACOG on the A2.

I find that solution to be near perfection.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I would be ok with an A2 as my only AR. But I'd be more comfortable with an A4 w/carry handle and KAC standard issue rail. If this is a home defense weapon I cannot express how badly you need need need a weapon mounted light. Seriously I'd be at complete peace with a carry handle A4 with only a vert grip and a weapon light for home defense.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been back and forth on BRD for a while, and always end up spending money on optics and accessories to try to keep up with the latest fads, and always come back to a 20" with irons. I'm thinking of getting my first A2 rifle to try to keep the desire to add stuff to it at bay.
This would be my only AR. Would you be satisfied with an A2 rifle as your only AR? Or do you feel that missing out on optics and rails and whatnot is too much to give up?
I know I *could* add that stuff to it, but I'd have no desire to.
View Quote

Do I have to post this poor A2 every week?

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I already live that life.

Colt 6520 is my only AR15. It's a 16'' barrel though, not 20".
View Quote

Great rifle, carried one for years, then one with a eotech on a handguard mount.  There's just something about the 6520 as a grab it and go gun.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#10]
MILSPEC556 brought up "home defense". Personally, for inside my home, I feel a handgun is much easier to use in confined spaces. If an intruder is so close that you cant bring a rifle or carbine to bear, then what? My 1911 .45 cal works close up, even if you only have inches. Plus, it takes up less room on the night stand
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I would be perfectly fine having a A2 20" as my only AR ( if I truly could only have one ) My BRD has grown over the years but that used to be the case with me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
MILSPEC556 brought up "home defense". Personally, for inside my home, I feel a handgun is much easier to use in confined spaces. If an intruder is so close that you cant bring a rifle or carbine to bear, then what? My 1911 .45 cal works close up, even if you only have inches. Plus, it takes up less room on the night stand
View Quote

"Home defense" isn't always inside a house.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I would want a rack of A2s with Larue 12.0

Just like mine.

Add a micro acog and I would be a happy clam.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Alpha Deuce with TA01 AGOC, for the times when optics are called for.  It's a terrific choice for a one gun battery. Tailor the ammo to fit your requirement....1/7 can shoot it all.  Battle rifle capability, and light enough you won't pull your hair out !  Have fun !
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Alpha Deuce with TA01 AGOC, for the times when optics are called for.  It's a terrific choice for a one gun battery. Tailor the ammo to fit your requirement....1/7 can shoot it all.  Battle rifle capability, and light enough you won't pull your hair out !  Have fun !
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#16]
For about 10 years of my life all I had was a PWA set up as an A2 and it was just fine. To me it's more about really knowing how to use what you have well rather than trying to keep up with the latest gadget.  Increased barrel length equals better accuracy and better velocity. With the 5.56 it's all about velocity and as far as irons go they are entirely adequate. I guess you just have to ask yourself what you will be realistically doing with the rifle and then build the rifle accordingly. If more people did that rifles would look much different and simpler, but the fad is to build to some Navy seal fantasy - zombie holocaust garbage.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whether you have a 14.5" or a 20" barrel an AR can do anything from clear rooms to reach out and touch someone. A pistol is for super close engagements. I look at handguns as a sidearm, nothing more than a tool to save my ass if my primary goes down. Nothing more, nothing less. Now that being said, a good secondary weapon and it's training is also extremely important.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I could 'live' with an A2, as I carried one for years in the from '86 until the 82nd got M-4, right as I was leaving Bragg in late '97. It would be a 16" barrel mid-length gas, rather than a 20" barrel rifle length gas, most likely.

Would I WANT an A2 to be my ONLY AR? No, the flattops offer the user more versatility. The ease of optics and RDS mounting is not to be discounted.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I could 'live' with an A2, as I carried one for years in the from '86 until the 82nd got M-4, right as I was leaving Bragg in late '97. It would be a 16" barrel mid-length gas, rather than a 20" barrel rifle length gas, most likely.

Would I WANT an A2 to be my ONLY AR? No, the flattops offer the user more versatility. The ease of optics and RDS mounting is not to be discounted.
View Quote

If you're referring to the m4 carbine it's a 14.5" carbine gas 1/7 twist (to better stabilize the heavier m856 tracers)
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Put an ACOG on the A2.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put an ACOG on the A2.

I agree. I don't think optics are "just a fad." 20 years ago I might have thought so, but my eyes don't work as good as they used to and now I pretty much need some "optical" assistance except under perfect lighting conditions. Even then the optics help. That said, if I still had 20/20 at all distances I'd be more than OK with an A2 as my only AR.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Having only an A2 would be fine with me.  This is the configuration I take to the range most often.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree. I don't think optics are "just a fad." 20 years ago I might have thought so, but my eyes don't work as good as they used to and now I pretty much need some "optical" assistance except under perfect lighting conditions. Even then the optics help. That said, if I still had 20/20 at all distances I'd be more than OK with an A2 as my only AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put an ACOG on the A2.

My eyes suck but that doesn't stop me from using an A2 in competition to 600 y...I figure that's what they make glasses for.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I did for awhile. I think I'd add a flashlight but otherwise call it good.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you're referring to the m4 carbine it's a 14.5" carbine gas 1/7 twist (to better stabilize the heavier m856 tracers)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not referring to anything you mentioned, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry buddy. Thought you were saying the m4 had a 16" barrel and middy gas system.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm more than OK with and Alpha Deuce being my one and only rifle and like one of our members said in a previous reply: "I've lived that life."  But I'm really really going to miss my A1 because that's what I was trained on prior to being issued an A2 in the field
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 2:22:48 AM EDT
[#27]
By A2 you meen an actual 20" Government profile barrel? Yeah, I could, but I'd probably chop it and make a Dissipator.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the replies and discussion. I didn't mean to imply that optics are a fad, as they are very important in certain roles.
I'm in CA, ARs are just fun guns for me, range plinkers and something to practice marksmanship with, not an HD gun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I could be ok with an A2 or A4 as my only AR. My only stipulation is it would have to be 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I agree on the 20" stipulation, and I've actually decided just to spend the money on what I actually want, which is a 20" A4 clone.

Thanks again for the discussion.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:11:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies and discussion. I didn't mean to imply that optics are a fad, as they are very important in certain roles.
I'm in CA, ARs are just fun guns for me, range plinkers and something to practice marksmanship with, not an HD gun.
View Quote

I guess if you only plink with your AR, or expect to use it in the zombie apocalypse, it would be fine. It's too long to be practical indoors though (assuming 20").

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Absolutely.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I guess if you only plink with your AR, or expect to use it in the zombie apocalypse, it would be fine. It's too long to be practical indoors though (assuming 20").

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This ^

I'd be fine with a 20" A2.

Mine is my favorite AR.

You can always mount something on the carry handle. It might not be Delta approved, but it'll damn sure get the job done.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a 20" A4.  Most of the time it has my carry handle on it.  When hunting season opens I will put my 3-10 mil/mil check zero and hunt.  I love my irons, but counting points is easier with scope.  (Arkansas has a 3 points on one side rule)
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Absolutely. Throw on a cheap USGI gooseneck and you can mount the RDS of your choice. It's not optimal for a magnified optic, but it has been done many times in the past with carry handle uppers. Years ago a Colt Delta HBAR with a raised cheekpiece and 3x9 Tasco was the cat's meow. Of course a flat top is "better" from a flexibility standpoint, but an A2 can get the job done.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#37]
A2 as my only rifle... Hell yea. I'm a firm believer in whatever gun you have is the best gun for you. It beats the hell out of not having any rifle. It is combat proven and capable of shooting for distance as well as close up. Are there other rifles I may like better or prefer? Sure, but if I only had an A2 I would be fine with that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Until about 6 months ago all I ever owned was A2 ARs.  I enjoy the flattops I've bought recently, but my favorite is a fixed carry handle type of AR.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Mine is.

There's a 1-4x optic via carry handle mount if I want to use it. Has accessory rail. As a 16" dissipator it's a good compromise. It shoots like a match rifle and handles like a carbine.  Despite all the fads and accessories available it's been serving me well since 1997.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Not only would I be ok with it, I would prefer it.  

20" A2 was my first AR, and it is my favorite general issue military AR15 / M16 variant.

My favorite overall AR configuration is a toss up between a 18.5" GI profile barrel A2 and a 20" light weight barrel A2.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Hell no.

An A1 wouldn't be so bad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#43]
An A2 is my only AR. It's a 20", although I also have a dissipator A2 upper I never use.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Well I could live with a A2 as if it was the only gun I had.  Rather have it then nothing.  Started with a XM16E1/M16A1s in the service from 83' till the A2 replaced them in 87'.  Too long for CQB, too long when finning underwater, decent during Alpine ski training, excellent rifle to engage bad guys in the desert (First Gulf War carried a M16A2/M203 combo).  Replaced by the M4A1 in 95' in the same unit.  So, I can live with it but prefer a flat top 14.5" even though I just built a 20" A4.  I'm getting older and my eyes need glasses now so prefer a small magnified optic.  Heck I'm even putting on a scope on my Marlin 1894 when I get home.  Now I have a Mk18 10.3" here in the box, would prefer a M14 or FAL over them all however.

CD
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#45]
My Colt Match HBAR is my "go to war" gun. If the shtf the tacticool stuff would be left in the safe, the A2 is what I know and love.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#46]
No must have an optic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No must have an optic.
View Quote

Ok boss.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No must have an optic.
View Quote

?

Fixed carry handle ARs can easily accommodate an optic, and I actually prefer the higher cheek weld and ability to unobstructedly co-witness with the irons that the carry handle attachment provides.  

And why "must" you have an optic?  Perhaps you should check out the video in my signature!  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#49]
While I certainly enjoy all my flat top guns, I learned to shoot on an M16A2 in boot camp a really long time ago.
I have an A2 build using a USGI surplus complete FN 20" A2 and Colt A2 stock on a Double Star lower.
Working on a BHD clone M4A2 to put on my 6933.

If I could only keep one of the various AR's, I'd be fine using an A2 based upper...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Holy crap Rick, I just noticed something about your third pic.  Are those rings somehow attached through the bottom of that arms mount?  I have that exact mount.  I've never seen that done before.  I forgot that there were even holes in it. Or did you drill it . My head is exploding..  whaaaaaat?  

I still think a compact ACOG would be really nice atop my A2.  A little more sleek and light.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top