Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2014 2:17:24 PM EDT
Hello is there any source for new or used A2 carry handle uppers that have factory M4 feed ramp cuts ?

I am wanting to build a kiss gun and but want to use a new barrel that has the M4 cuts and want an A2 upper to match .

thanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]
There has never been a military rifle with a carry handle upper and carbine extended feed ramps, but a number of commercial companies have made hybrids like that.  American Spirit Arms has one, listed as "A2 upper with M4 feedramps", and I'm sure there have been and are others.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There has never been a military rifle with a carry handle upper and carbine extended feed ramps, but a number of commercial companies have made hybrids like that.  American Spirit Arms has one, listed as "A2 upper with M4 feedramps", and I'm sure there have been and are others.
View Quote

Sir .

Many thanks for the reply !!!!

I could have swore that there was a certain amount of A2 carbines that came with the m4 ramps just before the flat tops came out ?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote

Include Colt with that list of commercial companies. I've had a couple of A2 uppers (may still have one in my stash) with a "4" on the front of the receiver and extended ramps. I'd guess they came on 6520s.

If the OP is not in a hurry, he might be able to find one on the EE or by posting a WTB in the appropriate forum.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sir .

I could have swore that there was a certain amount of A2 carbines that came with the m4 ramps just before the flat tops came out ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir .

Military A2s have never been carbines - always rifles.  Colt made commercial carbines around the Sporter II and later "A2 era" commercial receiver products, but military production has been governed by the contract specifications and technical data packages for the various type-certified weapons systems.

There were early carry handle prototype shorties made with short barrels and A2 rifle receivers before the M4 was type classified and later product-improved.  Those had standard rifle receiver feedramps (e.g. none).  Anything with a carry handle and carbine feedramps was commercial production, developmental prototypes or special procurement from commercial sources.

The current M16/M4 family technical manual (TM 9-1005-319-23&P) specifies three upper receiver variants - the carry handle M16A2 type, the railed flat-top rifle M16A3/M16A4 type, which has no carbine feedramps, and the M4/M4A1 carbine type, which does have the carbine feedramps.

Another interesting fact is that the M16A3 used to be a carry handle upper just like the M16A2, except with full auto instead of burst, but has since been reclassified as a flat-top variant.  Currently the M16A2 and M16A4 have 0-1-3, while M16A3 has 0-1-A selector positions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
OP Keep your eyes glued to the EE for a new Colt 6520 and NEVER EVER LOOK BACK. I found a new one there for a real decent price, way cheaper than listed on gunbroker. It's my favorite gun that I own. The ultimate KISS carbine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one from PK Firearms back in the day. Try there.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 on the Colt 6520 . Great lightweight carbine that is ready to go out of the box .
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I sold a 6520 A2 upper only with cuts upper about 6 months ago.  Now I almost wish I had kept it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Armalite has produced an A-2 upper with M-4 feed ramps in the past.  I have one. I simply take a round hand file and make my own feed ramps on all my uppers. It helps in feeding round reliability.  Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an A2 upper with m4 ramps I bought from PK Firearms maybe 2 years ago.  It now has a 16" Daniel Defense chrome lined M4 barrel on it and is set up as the OP is looking to do.  Great little shooter.

OP, you do know you can use a barrel with M4 extension with a standard A2 upper without the cuts right?  It works just fine.  M4 cuts are only needed for rifles that have the fun switch.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Armalite has produced an A-2 upper with M-4 feed ramps in the past.  I have one. I simply take a round hand file and make my own feed ramps on all my uppers. It helps in feeding round reliability.  Good luck in your search.
View Quote

+1  I have a Armalite A2 upper with M4 Feed ramps.  It also has an exceptional rear sight fit .
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1  I have a Armalite A2 upper with M4 Feed ramps.  It also has an exceptional rear sight fit .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+2 I have an Armalite A2 upper with feed ramps that came with a carbine barreled upper, I have since replaced the rear sight with the Armalite NM unit and an 18 inch SS barrel with FSB and an Armalite skinny FSP. It's dead nuts accurate and runs like a raped ape.

ETA: Bushmaster used to sell Cerro Forged A2 uppers(keyhole marked) that had M4 feed ramps. They were standard uppers for their 14.5 and 16 inch M4 line. I may actually have 1 or 2 of those stripped uppers left somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

How are their reviews?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#14]
For $129, I ordered one. Maybe I'll post my own review.
I see that the new owners have improved upon the original owner's business model and tooling/techniques. This info is from American Spirit Arms in the Industry section.
Just wondered what members of the Arfcom hive might have to say regarding their own real world experience.

I too want to build a KISS carbine. My intent is to use it for teaching new shooters the basics, plus have it on hand for needs around the house that don't require optics.

I ordered this barrel for the build. I have an LW prefix PSA lower on hand already.

ETA: Part in bold . . . Weird. They no longer now have a forum in "Industry".  
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought one of the ASA A2 uppers on sale for $130 this week and am very pleased with the quality.  Nice fit and finish, black anodizing matches my lowers.  I put a Colt government profile A2 barrel on it and clipped it on an Armalite lower.  The fit to the lower is perfect, no play, small pad on the left side matches the lower, etc.  "A" forge mark. Why do people pay $150 for a scratched, faded used upper when they can get a new one for less?  http://www.americanspiritarms.com/upper-receivers/asa-a2-ar-15-m4-upper-receiver/

M4 feed ramp cuts are no big deal either way as the bullet tips are above that, I always felt the larger ramps might be ok for full auto but mostly they fixed a problem that doesn't exist.  The cut is so small that if you use a standard barrel there is no real mis-match.  A small round file can blend the edge which is what I normally do.  Cold blue on the steel with a Q-tip, black Gun Kote or flat black paint on a tiny artist brush for the aluminum.  

I also bought a couple of their early style fiberlite carbine stocks for a couple of retro builds, also great quality and awesome price on sale.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Military A2s have never been carbines - always rifles.  Colt made commercial carbines around the Sporter II and later "A2 era" commercial receiver products, but military production has been governed by the contract specifications and technical data packages for the various type-certified weapons systems.

There were early carry handle prototype shorties made with short barrels and A2 rifle receivers before the M4 was type classified and later product-improved.  Those had standard rifle receiver feedramps (e.g. none).  Anything with a carry handle and carbine feedramps was commercial production, developmental prototypes or special procurement from commercial sources.

The current M16/M4 family technical manual (TM 9-1005-319-23&P) specifies three upper receiver variants - the carry handle M16A2 type, the railed flat-top rifle M16A3/M16A4 type, which has no carbine feedramps, and the M4/M4A1 carbine type, which does have the carbine feedramps.

Another interesting fact is that the M16A3 used to be a carry handle upper just like the M16A2, except with full auto instead of burst, but has since been reclassified as a flat-top variant.  Currently the M16A2 and M16A4 have 0-1-3, while M16A3 has 0-1-A selector positions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir .

I was going to say I could have sworn the M16A3 was an A1 lower/FCG with an A2 upper used by coast guard and Navy. Thats interesting that they reclassified it. Thank you for the info!
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top