Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2014 1:47:45 PM EDT
I have a gentleman who is offering to trade me a Remington 597 .22 with 100 rounds of ammo in addition to an Anderson lower (lpk unknown) with both a fixed OD A2 buttstock and a commercial buffer tube w/stock that has an Armalite A2 fixed carry handle upper. I've seen the picture of the crosshairs with "AR" on the rear sight post but there are no markings what so ever on the barrel, even on the barrel. Flashhider isn't the standard A2 one either. Is that standard for Armalite to not mark their barrels? Gentleman said he got the complete upper from Sportsman Guide complete but I can't find anything online to verify this. Love the A2 style, and my 20" Aero Precision build A2 clone with KAS rails needs a baby, but is that a good deal for me? I would be trading him my Norinco 1911 that was cerakoted, 3.5lb trigger job and a lot of aftermarket parts by Ed Brown and Wilson Combat. Any and all help is appreciated

Update: Pictures added, have since installed the buffer tube, OD MagPul CTR stock and pistol grip, Troy Drop-In rail and made a camo-style pattern out of some MagPul rail covers I had laying around. Also installed a RRA side sling swivel and an extra Vickers Blue Force sling I had from my deployment.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Armalite only ever made 1-9 twist chrome lined barrels.  As far as I am aware, they did not put any stamps or markings on their barrels.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a 16" barrel purchased new around 2001 from Armalite and had no markings anywhere.  I believe it to be 1/9 and also .223 chamber, not 5.56. FYI
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I ended up doing the deal because I got some more stuff out of him, and I like the set up. Ended up selling the fixed buttstock off and using buffer tube which was mil-spec and not commercial. It shoots like a dream, and chambers and fires 5.56 without a problem. Not going to lie, it's slowly becoming a favorite of mine to take out to the range.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]

crazysarge16, Please post some pic's of your new acquisition, and of the markings that you were trying to describe.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#5]
As far as I know your not gonna find Armalite barrels at Sportsmansguide, last barrel I saw there was a $99.00 unchromed 16" M4 stripped barrel. That was well over a year or 2 ago , so they may have more AR15 components now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll try to post pictures at the first opportunity that arises. Currently out and about, but will try to get the pictures up within the next few days. Know for a fact that the A2 upper is at least an Armalite from the markings, but the barrel and BCG are probably not but not the end of the world for me. I didn't have that much in the pistol and came ahead on the trade.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Rifle also has one of the screw on FSBs, no markings are located on it
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Pictures added, would love some thoughts
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like the Armalite clamp-on front sight and 2-port recoil check.  Not sure how old it is -- Armalite has since started stamping bolt carriers with an "A" and their bolts with an "AL".  "AR" on the upper would be an Armalite marking.

1-9 mid-weight is also almost a "Gimme" clue for Armalite.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll have to take a look at the bolt soon and look for more markings but can't remember any off  top of my head
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top