Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2014 9:55:55 PM EDT
This is my first A2. I normally hang out in retro land where perfection is an addiction. I pieced this one together with a mixture of USGI and after market parts. It still needs a sling and sighting in. It's not much, but it's mine!

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good. Any specifics on the build?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of the $75 Apex Arms take off barrels that were talked about in one of the threads
$6 EE USGI FSB
$5 set of aftermarket hand guards off EE
New aftermarket bird cage and washer ($10)
The aftermarket upper assembly, charging handle, delta ring, and the complete BCG were off a complete upper I bought a while back and striped. ($250)
The A2 lower was a complete Stage Arms unit currently not being used. ($170 including LPC)
The complete butt stock is NOS USGI ($20 off EE new in the bag).
Buffer, spring and  .750 triangle end cap $20 used
Buffer tub came out of an A1 parts kit I believe and was on the lower already
Spacer and screw, new aftermarket ($9)
I just ordered a black silent sling off eBay for $6.

Total for the build $571
I could have done better if I shopped and used the PIF thread on retro (free!), but it is not too bad. Out of pocket this time around $146
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#3]
......There are many like it...but this one is yours !  
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember the thread you posted about barrels.  Nice build, let us know how that shoots with the Apex barrel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember the thread you posted about barrels.  Nice build, let us know how that shoots with the Apex barrel.
View Quote

Will do, I shoot most weekends.

Thanks to all for the kind words. The A2 seems so much larger then any of my A1's when I shoulder it, even thought it is only a small amount longer. I kind of like the feel. Who knows, I may have a new favorite toy...
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Nicely done.  Looks good and fun to gather parts and build it yourself. It's worth more to you now. $571 is a very good total cost now days.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 1:39:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Oops DT
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I sighted it in today and put 300 rounds down range. 25 yards indoor from a sand bag rest shooting at USGI 25/300 targets. Once sighted in, I was able to keep every round in the black of the 300 meter target. I opened up a fifty cent piece hole. I very happy with the build in general, but also in the cheap barrel. Wish I could shoot like that standing free hand, but those days are behind me now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Good to know all is working out for you. Build looks good to me. I am an old school guy.  Are you using 223 Rem, or 5.56 mm? I saw Apex said the barrels were 223 Rem, and I was curious. If 5.56 mm, any signs of excess pressures? I am putting 2 A2's together now, one is rifle length, the other is carbine length.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a nice build.  Sounds like it's shooting real good too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you using 223 Rem, or 5.56 mm? I saw Apex said the barrels were 223 Rem, and I was curious. If 5.56 mm, any signs of excess pressures?
View Quote

I saw the post that said they (Apex) replied they were .223. The add said .223/.556 when I bought it and I checked again after the post about them being .223 only. The site still said .223/.556. I tried both today. 40 rounds were .223 and the rest were .556 (260 rounds) I had no issues of any kind with either.

I added a black silent sling also... Really enjoyed the feel of the A2. I miss being able to shoot acurately without a rest...
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, Thank you so much for posting this.
That is a very nice looking rifle.

I don't get in a hurry buying parts and watch for the good deals.
Shopping the EE is the best way to get some really good parts and a cheap price.
It is a win for the seller and the buyer.
I want to thank all the seller for giving us here a chance to build some great rifles.

I am with the group that thinks the barrels were removed from rifles to build carbines.

Ron
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top