Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2014 12:56:22 PM EDT
I am looking for a quality lightweight rifle from a reputable company built around an A1 or A2 fixed carry handle upper with a 14.5" or 16" (preferred) barrel.Colt has retired the 6520 and this dearly disappoints me because I want one desperately. Does anyone know anything comparable from some other good manufacturers?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If you wish to have something built, or bought second hand ala the EE here, you can obtain something rather easily.  If you're looking to purchase something pre assembled from a manufacturer, your options are a lot more limited.

If the later is the case, you're basically looking at either a Rock River Arms or Delton upper.  They both have a lightweight mid length A2 option.  If you want something A1, you'll have to pay a bit more and get something from Fulton Armory.  They have a legacy series with slick side A1 uppers and pencil profile barrels.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure why this thread was moved when it isn't A2 or A1 specific, but could be either one?  Furthermore, Jake joined in 2014, has only 100 posts, and most likely has no idea what happened to his thread or where it went.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
For the reason Blain said, I was not sure where to place this thread. Anyhow, thanks for the fulton armory suggestion. That looks appealing. If anyone in the A2 forum has anything to offer I'd love to hear it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]
for new, maybe check pkfirearms.com?

Best bet is probably searching the EE.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like Essential Arms might also sell an A2 kit.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
He wants a complete upper.  Not a kit, or just a receiver.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I am more interested in a full rifle or complete upper because I do not want to make an investment in tools to build it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#9]

RRA still makes them.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
PK Firearms has a A2 mid upper, combine that with a lower of your choice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Where?  They usually use F marked FSBs though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I always suggest building your own to your own tastes, but if you wish to buy a complete rifle or complete upper, consider your budget first then go from there.

Palmetto state arms, has a good selection.  Stag Arms, the list is huge on who sells them.  Honestly I would start at a local gunshop and browse whats on hand or have them build you what you want.  Any good gunsmith can build a complete AR in any layout you want with off the shelf parts in 30 minutes.  I got one from a local shop and went from a list of parts, to their indoor range with my new rifle in less than 45 minutes.  

I am considering a full on A2 build soon but have 2 more projects in front of it, the SPR Im doing now, and a well Pretty AR lol.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:01:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I always suggest building your own to your own tastes, but if you wish to buy a complete rifle or complete upper, consider your budget first then go from there.

Palmetto state arms, has a good selection.  Stag Arms, the list is huge on who sells them.  Honestly I would start at a local gunshop and browse whats on hand or have them build you what you want.  Any good gunsmith can build a complete AR in any layout you want with off the shelf parts in 30 minutes.  I got one from a local shop and went from a list of parts, to their indoor range with my new rifle in less than 45 minutes.  

I am considering a full on A2 build soon but have 2 more projects in front of it, the SPR Im doing now, and a well Pretty AR lol.
View Quote

The only thing you said that makes sense is consider building your own to your own tastes....

Palmetto and stag do NOT sell any A1 or A2 uppers or rifles.....the list is NOT huge, but tiny.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#14]
This isn't going to be what you want to hear, but your choices for fully assembled A1/A2 uppers is going to be extremely slim pickings right now. Even companies who offer them for sale still (J&T, Del-ton, DPMS, Bushmaster) are all out of stock of A2 receivers to build uppers with and no ETA as to when they'll get more (trust me, i've tried them all when I was building an A2 Carbine a month or so ago).

If you must go with a fully assembled one, the EE is going to be your best bet. I usually see several 16" A2 uppers for sale each week. They usually go quick, and aren't super cheap, but most for sale seem to be in good condition. If you're diligent about scouring the EE, you will find one eventually.

Option 2 is just building one yourself. I know you don't want to invest in the tooling, but chances are you will build more ARs down the road, and those tools will be a godsend. All you need is an Armorer's wrench, vice blocks, a torque wrench (I use a $25 Craftsman beam-style torque wrench, works fine for the purpose), and possibly a breaker bar. The cost of buying the tools will only be slightly more than paying someone to do it for you.

Building one yourself gives you far more flexibility. Stripped A2 uppers are plentiful on the EE and gunbroker. Del-ton will sell you an excellent, chrome-lined barrel kit with the proper non-F marked FSB for a little over $200. If you want to go even higher-end for your barrel, you can get a stripped barrel from BCM and have ADCO pin a non-F FSB for you (Del-ton sells stripped non-F FSBs or they are common on the EE).
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah I figured as much. I think I will keep watching the EE and than if nothing comes up, buy the tools and do it myself. Thanks for laying out my options.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's under the RRA uppers on the menu.

Click me scroll down on page and it's 6th or 7th down.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#17]
That's an HBAR, he wants a pencil profile.  Also, that is a RRA upper, NOT a "PK" upper.  I already suggested RRA to him, and on their site you can choose a pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#18]
GB for a 6520? Or a WTB ad in the EE.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
As of now, Del-Ton has the parts in stock if you choose to build it.  Depends if you have the patience to wait and see if what you're looking for shows up on the EE.  If you buy the tools, and only build 1 rifle, you can re sell the tools on the EE and get most of your money back.  The problem is, black rifle disease is highly contagious.  Also called BRD, one you acquire it, it's hard to cure.  

Stripped A2 Upper
Lightweight Barrel
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]
There's a Colt 6520 on the EE right now. Not mine and I have no relationship with the seller.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_21/1302931_WTS___Colt_6520__950_Shipped__.html

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top