Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2014 10:43:19 AM EDT
I'm an "A2" type of guy. It's the gun of "my" generation (I just turned 40) and I had a Colt Match Target at one time that I was in love with. Unfortunately, I sold it in some tough financial times, but always regretted it. I swore that I would, someday, have another 20" A2 rifle. So, about a month ago I started looking around and found a good price on a complete upper and it was to be shipped directly from RRA. I took about three weeks to get here and in that time, I decided to ditch my "Plan A", which was to use an existing DPMS lower that I already had the RRA NM trigger in, for my scoped prairie dog rig, and just get a new RRA lower to match. I found a stripped lower on Gunbroker with the parts/trigger kits included, for a good price, then ordered the buttstock assemebly from RRA, as well. I got everything together the other day and have already started some load development. So far, I absolutely  love it!  Using the Hornady 75gr BTHP over Benchmark, it's easily sub-MOA at 100 yards and I've even managed to shoot clay pigeons with it, out to 355 yards. I have some 77gr. SMKs on the way, as well as a Turner sling, so the fun should really begin in another week, or so.

I thought I would share with you guys and take the time to thank those who contribute to this sub-forum. I know the A2 is no longer "cool" (to some people, anyway), but I've very much enjoyed reading the threads here and am thrilled that I can finally contribute something. Also, I think I caught the bug, bad, as my wheels are already turning on another possible A2 build. I can see how this can become an addiction in a hurry.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats, nice gun.  She's beautiful. I'm Jelly.

My first AR was a NIB Colt Match Target A2 20" with a bare muzzle. Wish I never would've sold it either.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Beautiful rifle. And FWIW the A2 will always be cool.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Gorgeous!!  Very, very cool!

And like glockr says "The A2 will always be cool."  

Lets look at the pluses: Well developed open sights, available optics, great function and balance. "Batteries?  We don't need no stinkin' batteries."
I am a huge fan of the A2.
And the minuses: Non M4 ramps , usually;  excess weight of the upper when a smaller BUIS can be used, weight of optic plus BUIS.

The change in emphasis over the years has been, and will be, towards best available optics. But that comes at a price.  
The A2 system is near the peak of the non magnified optics platform. There were better systems, true, but none for mass consumption.  I still have this little rubber cup sticky thingy eyepiece that stuck to my glasses , but it did not work better in real time than the A2 sight.

If you want to have rifles with the best open sights in your string of ARs then you have some A2s.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, guys. I hope to post some more range reports in the next week or two. Have some more bullets and sling due to come on Monday.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The Alpha Deuce is still the sexiest member of the whole AR family!  Why?  She's got the right "lines"   and that says it all.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#7]
All week, I have been running tests with the Hornady 75gr BTHP vs. the Sierra 77gr Match King. The SMK is supposed to be "the" bullet for this gun. I just can't make it work, though. I've shot some decent groups with it, but it won't stay consistent and the Hornady bullet just seems to edge it out in every area (especially price). Today was the last comparison test I ran with these two bullets. I ended up settling on one load for the Hornday bullet and that's what I'm going to run with. I think a different batch of brass would improve things even further, but I'm not completely disappointed with the groups I've been getting, either.

This photo shows the nail in the coffin for the 77gr SMK. The holes circled in silver paint pen are the first group I shot, using the Hornady bullet. The unmarked holes are the Sierra. This is at 500 yards using an NRA 600 yard target. Wind was a variable 15-20mph from my 7 o'clock. I left the windage knob alone, as I wanted to see just how much of a difference there was between the two bullets and how far they would be blown off course. Hornady is the clear winner. I haven't been able to line up a 600 yard berm yet, as the excavating company has been in the gravel pit (where I normally shoot long range) all week and their equipment is in the way. So, this was as close as I could get.

John

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]
never mind....read a bit more in depth...sounds like you're running a great rifle

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top