Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2014 8:55:09 PM EDT
Title says it all. I just want to build (or buy) a modern m16 A2 style rifle, I don't want a clone made out of old parts kits.. I am not trying to spend a butt load of money to make sure it is IDENTICAL to the original. Could someone help me Pick out what I would need and what parts in each section are "High Quality" for this style of build in the order that follows below
1. Upper (what brand, do I want it stripped?)
2. Lower (what brand)
3 Barrel (what profile, brand, and size)
4 Handguard (what brand/model)
5 What Stock?
.. I believe that is all, I think I can handle the rest on my own, Thanks for the help!
Also if these A2 style rifles are available without me building it and without me spending more than 850 please, do tell?
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt is making a version you seek. Looks like like the M16A4, that is the modern A2

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 11:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Colt is making a version you seek. Looks like like the M16A4, that is the modern A2

View Quote

That's what I would get if I wanted to buy a brand new rifle instead of a carbine.  It's just easier than trying to piece one together and smarter than buying a complete rifle from a lesser manufacturer.

If you really want an true A2 then I would just keep an eye on the EE here and see if a nice one comes up for sale.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a few parts suggestions. JT distributing A2 upper receiver with m4 feedramps. Windham weaponry 20 inch barrel. Has m4 receiver extension and A2 front sight base 1/7 twist chrome lined  and the highest grade chromolly steel. Bolt: Lmt carrier with enhanced bolt.

That will give you a modern A2 aesthetically with serious improvements under the hood and overall high quality.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]
what would it cost me to build that?
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 3:29:09 AM EDT
[#5]
FNH just released exactly what you are looking for

FN 15
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#6]
245 for complete Windham barrel assembly with handguard, gas tube, flash hider, ect... 150 for complete A2 upper receiver with M4 feedramps, and 120 for a standard bolt and carrier, around  275 for the enhanced bolt and standard carrier.

That's just the upper. While your at it order an A2 stock from JT distributing as well and a lower parts kit. Gonna add another 150 wish for those two components. Then hitbup your local shop for a lower.

Those prices are ballpark. Its difficult to look everything up from my phone.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright, thank you for the information, this isn't going to happen any time soon, I am just looking five or six lowers here in a few months and one of them is going to be build out to be an A2. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I just saw that about the FN today! I am seriously considering it!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks like the FN is really low end for the product you are getting. I know barrel steel and MPI bolts can cause debate on whether on not they are needed, but from a value perspective they make allot of sense to get a properly spec'd rifle.

The main problem here is... That it is hard to get properly spec'd A2 rifles.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an FN A2 upper and four of their barrels. Those items have been great. However, in the case of their new ARs, I have to say I am put off enough by the giant white FN logo on the side of the lower that I wouldnt consider one. If you are trying to create a mil "replica" that is really going to work against you with that weapon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Title says it all. I just want to build (or buy) a modern m16 A2 style rifle, I don't want a clone made out of old parts kits.. I am not trying to spend a butt load of money to make sure it is IDENTICAL to the original. Could someone help me Pick out what I would need and what parts in each section are "High Quality" for this style of build in the order that follows below
1. Upper (what brand, do I want it stripped?)
2. Lower (what brand)
3 Barrel (what profile, brand, and size)
4 Handguard (what brand/model)
5 What Stock?
.. I believe that is all, I think I can handle the rest on my own, Thanks for the help!
Also if these A2 style rifles are available without me building it and without me spending more than 850 please, do tell?
View Quote

I would buy one of these: 20'' AR15 Standard Rifle Kit, 5.56 NATO, 1-9'' twist chrome lined chamber & bore - $520, $535 for a 1:7 twist:

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=184
http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=185

The entire PITA with a build is the upper, and it is complete with these kits - the lowers pretty much just drop together.  Get a stripped lower from somewhere like this for ~$100, and you're in business:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lowers.html

Total build will cost <$650.  I don't know about now, but 20 years ago all of the parts coming out of Model 1 were mil-spec made by FN.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't blame you!  TWICE, even!!!

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

FN 15
View Quote

Might be a nice rifle, but it has a flat top upper so it isn't an A2:)
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#15]
You could do a lot worse than Blain did here
I'm gonna build one of these to go with my A2 dissipator.
chris
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#16]
You can add a modernized A1 profile barrel for $199.  Lightweight profile (pencil), chrome lined, 1:7 twist, M4 ramps, 20".  Its not the military A2 barrel, buts its close enough, and lighter.

These are overruns, for a foreign contract.  McKay says they don't know if any more will be available after these are sold as the contract is thinning out.  Last year they had a batch.  Its hard to find any 20" lightweight profile barrel.  I don't think there would be a need for a government profile on a semi-auto.  The only difference between the government and lightweight profile, if the government profile is thicker past the gas block, where extra metal is least needed.  The markings on the image appear to be Colt markings.  McKay isn't allowed say who makes them.

You'll need a gunsmith to add a front sight/block.  I don't think anyone has been selling lightweight profile barrels for a long time, in stock anyway.

If not, BCM is selling a 20" government profile barrel for $239 (no front sight/block either).  Fulton Armory sells what they call a match pencil barrel.  That was recently out of stock for a long, long time, and that is $275.

http://store.mckay-ent.com/ar15-m16/m16-a1-replacement-barrel.html

M16 A1 Replacement Barrel
Part #: RM16A1-Barrel
Replacement barrel for M16 A1, new manufacture. Just released from prime military contractor. Perfect for finishing your M16 build project.
- Grey phosphate finish
- 20 inch length
- 0.625" diameter for gas block
- A1 "pencil" profile
- 1 in 7 twist
- Caliber 5.56 NATO
- Chrome lined
- With gas hole and barrel extension.
- Not pre-drilled for front sight tree taper pins
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

FN 15
View Quote
look closely at the carry handle, it is the A4 style. not what u want if trying to get close as possible to an A2.

I do like it, and am currently building an A4.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top