Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2014 4:33:15 PM EDT
What would be considered the best a2 kit as far as durability of material and quality of the pieces?

Are there ones to stay away from?

ETA: I suppose that if anything but rifle gas you would need a different buffer? Or would that cover all length gas lengths?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:36:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Has anybody tried ordering stuff from FN yet now that they are selling a commercial AR and M4?? I just read an article saying their producing 4000 guns a day. Somewhere in South Carolina...
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:43:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Has anybody tried ordering stuff from FN yet now that they are selling a commercial AR and M4?? I just read an article saying their producing 4000 guns a day. Somewhere in South Carolina...
View Quote
I did speak to a J. J. (initials only) there last week, trying to get info on my upcoming clone, he told ne that commercial ARs are going out the door and have been for a couple of weeks.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I did speak to a J. J. (initials only) there last week, trying to get info on my upcoming clone, he told ne that commercial ARs are going out the door and have been for a couple of weeks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they are probably using all their parts for full guns? Not pieces?
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're not producing anything for civilians in S. Carolina, that's FNMI. The FN15 is made by FNH in VA, the carbine I handled was like any other run of the mill AR, the bolt carrier is not F or FN  marked, the is not bolt MP tested, and the upper lacks any markings save for the Cerro forge code, not F marking. It looked like a parts kit gun from any number of manufacturers over the last 8+ years. Safety was not S marked, dealer friend even let me take the FCG out and it is literally the same parts kit from DPMS, same machining marks, rough anodizing, and shiny cheap feeling pistol grip.

While FNH may at some time sell individual parts, you'd get the same part from any online distributor. I like many members in this forum was excited about FN producing an AR like the one I carried for 6 years. However, that's not what is being produced.

Closest thing to issued has and always will be Colt, the A4 variant I got to handle was spot on, throw a M5 RAS and an RCO on it, voilà, M16A4.

Will
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What would be considered the best a2 kit as far as durability of material and quality of the pieces?

ETA: I suppose that if anything but rifle gas you would need a different buffer? Or would that cover all length gas lengths?
View Quote

DPMS makes a good kit - it has a metal A2 spacer and metal trap door.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Who makes a good one that is black?
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 3:15:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I got one from ArmaLite that was a deep black not the fuzzy looking grey. I didn't like the option of soaking the stock with CLP and then putting it against my face.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm hearing that a Vltor A5 stock kit might be the way to go.  When I have the money, I'll pick one up.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm hearing that a Vltor A5 stock kit might be the way to go.  When I have the money, I'll pick one up.
View Quote

They have an A2 stock with their REs now?

I ended up with the DPMS kit from Ar15sport.com fast shipping and they quote shipping, then ship it the cheapest way. Got mine in two-three days!

The stock looks good. I'm glad it is darker than some of the pictures I have seen of the lighter gray.

Thanks guys!

P.S. I have an A5 RE on my first(only, until I finish next build) ar and like it although I don't have anything to compare it to.  16" middy
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]
FN received the contract for the M4 carbines.

Colt and Remington argued with DOD ........both had the contract and lost it to FN.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got my a2 stock kit from bushmaster today. kinda dissapointed.  Mainly in the fact that on the side of itby the butt plate it is flexed out
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just got my a2 stock kit from bushmaster today. kinda dissapointed.  Mainly in the fact that on the side of itby the butt plate it is flexed out
View Quote

Flexed out, or not flush with butt plate? If latter mine is that way too. Not horribly but enough to notice by feel.

But I don't mind I'm building a shooter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Getting a Colt off the EE is your best bet for authenticity. I have a PSA one on my A4 clone that is really, really nice and cheap at like $65.. there are many cheapo ones that are mos def stay away from. make sure you buy a reputable brand that is known for making a quality a2 stock.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:59:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Just some info

Vltor A5 extension and A5 buffer is real nice

The A5 Vltor Stock made my rifle butt heavy.........So I sold the stock

Went back to my B5 Enhanced Stock on the A5 extension

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I built my A2 clone in 2011. After trying/ordering/looking at a few A2 stocks, including DPMS and RRA, I finally ordered a Colt A2 stock body from Brownells. I should've gone with the Colt body in the first place. Only the Colt had the correct texture and appearance. They come grey and dry, but hand-rubbing some CLP will turn them black and smooth. The Colt butt stock door was plastic, but I replaced it with a metal one from RRA or DPMS. I do not know if plastic is the current mil-spec, but I wanted a metal door. I also used a peel washer behind the A2 FS for 90's-style.

I got a Colt A2 pistol grip as well, as the Colt grip is a different thickness/feel than other A2 grips, even though they look the same in pictures. This is the complete extent of my Colt koolaid drinking. My other builds wear Tango Down pistol grips and some form of mil-spec diameter carbine stock. The A2 clone was assembled on a DPMS receiver . (I do really enjoy my used Colt SOCOM M4A1 barrel for safe 60rd mag dumps. )
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I went RRA. Really nice stock and a perfect price. Looks as good to me as any other.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top