Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2014 8:53:21 AM EDT
The durability of an integral iron sight.

Quick elevation adjustment capability to nail that bad guy at 600 yards.

A long sight radius to make the aforementioned shot easy.

Daniel Defense lite rail for a rigid optics mounting platform.

Aimpoint for short and medium range.

Tacticool A1 stock because I like nose to charging handle.

A flashlight. (Recall that the last thing many reportedly see before death is a blinding white light. This blinding white light is brought to you by Surefire.)

A flash hider. Because fuck Bill Clinton.

This rifle is now DONE. The only addition I am contemplating is a Geissele SSA.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope you make other shooters around you feel... inadequate... as you nail targets from 0-800 yards!
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hope you make other shooters around you feel... inadequate... as you nail targets from 0-800 yards!
View Quote
I used the stock rifle in 3 gun a lot in undergrad. I quit 3gun for a year to shoot highpower instead. When I started doing 3-gun again, I was awful at shotgun, mediocre at short range, but routinely did extremely well at long range.

Most of the folks with fancy, expensive optics would shoot way too fast. The distance would vary between about 150 to about 450 yards. They would be like,

bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, fuck,... bang DING.

I would be like,

... bang Ding, ... bang Ding,... bang Ding...

I had several matches where I took first place on the long range stage in the irons/red dot division, and my score would have taken second or third in the magnified optics division. I decided to go the aimpoint route when a buddy of mine gave it to me. Now I'm no longer slow on short range.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Piss on the M1 Garand...THIS is the greatest battle implement ever devised !         U-Rah ! ! !
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#4]
neva been done be-fo ;)

love it!

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Piss on the M1 Garand...THIS is the greatest battle implement ever devised !         U-Rah ! ! !
View Quote

BLASPHEMY !!!
I love my AR's, A2 rifle, 604, 603 clones, tacticool carbine, but better than a Garand ?????  I think not.
Wood, steel, 30.06 vs. plastic, aluminum, 5.56mm.  M1 wins by far.  There were never any stories of GI's found dead behind their M1's trying to clear jams, like there were in Vietnam.
M1, won WW2 and was great out of the box.  The M16 took what, 20 years to get the bugs out ??

I own both, they are both great rifles.  When the zombie apocalypse comes, I'm going to the pre pre ban AK

OP, sorry for the rant.........I feel better now
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
If my memory serves me right, you had a Knight's M5 RAS in there before right?

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

BLASPHEMY !!!
I love my AR's, A2 rifle, 604, 603 clones, tacticool carbine, but better than a Garand ?????  I think not.
Wood, steel, 30.06 vs. plastic, aluminum, 5.56mm.  M1 wins by far.  There were never any stories of GI's found dead behind their M1's trying to clear jams, like there were in Vietnam.
M1, won WW2 and was great out of the box.  The M16 took what, 20 years to get the bugs out ??

I own both, they are both great rifles.  When the zombie apocalypse comes, I'm going to the pre pre ban AK

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLASPHEMY !!!

You had plenty of GIs dying from the enemy hearing the en bloc clips dinging on the ground.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You had plenty of GIs dying from the enemy hearing the en bloc clips dinging on the ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLASPHEMY !!!

GI's quickly learned this flaw and would toss empty enbloc clips on the ground to fake being empty and nail the enemy. Also that flaw had nothing to do with the function of the rifle. I love all M16's, and M1's, but M2 Carbines are the ultimate and truely first PDW. Zombies can kiss the barrel of my Mossberg 590A1...
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If my memory serves me right, you had a Knight's M5 RAS in there before right?

View Quote
Yeah, I got it really cheap and was using it to test the concept of a scout rifle aimpoint setup. Well, I liked it. Once I realized that the DD lite rail is a clearance item due to the lite rail 2 coming out, I bought one. I had been looking for a good excuse to get the barrel threaded for awhile, so I got it all done at once. I really like it. It's a little front heavy with the light, but without it it seems quite nimble. I think I'm going to order a Geissele SSA next. As soon as the ammo shortage is over, I'm going to start trying to find some local three gun matches again to see how it works out.

ETA: My next rifle will be the Colt A4, so I'll put the knights M5 on that whenever I decide to blow that kind of money. Although instead of going for a true clone, I'm thinking I'll save up for a Trijicon TR24 and use it possibly for short range deer hunting and for scope class three gun if I feel like it. Eventually both rifles would be set up the same way, save for optics.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Dates are actually Sep/Oct 2011, Talil, Iraq.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
What mag pouch is that? I could use a spare mag there to counterweight the flashlight.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

BLASPHEMY !!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLASPHEMY !!!

The Garand suffered from reliability problems early in its service life - particularly - surprise, surprise - in the humid tropical jungles of the Pacific.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  Yep, that was the photo that gave me the idea.  
View Quote

Now you just gave me the warm fuzzies.  Glad I could be of service.  Nice build.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLASPHEMY !!!

That "ping" is a myth or urban legend.  Gunny proved that on Lock And Load.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

BLASPHEMY !!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BLASPHEMY !!!

I respectfully disagree.  The M-1 Garand spent what, a total of maybe 6 years in combat if you combine World War II and Korea. Indirect fire accounted for the most battlefield casualties. Russians soaked up way more bullets from Germans before the US even stepped foot into Europe.

The AR15/M16/M4 has been in active combat almost continually since the early 1960's. The bugs were already worked out on the first production rifles, then the Army Ordnance Board got their hands on it, and made the changes that became the Colt Model 602, along with the ammunition propellant change. Those organizational-induced problems were overcome in 3 years, with the introduction of the XM16E1 and M16A1 by 1967. I personally would have zero hesitation about taking a Colt 601 or Colt 603 into combat. I've spent a lot of time with (603) M16A1's, A2's, M4's, and M4A1's in the worst conditions the planet has to offer, to include arctic-wet environments with most of those weapons, and they are one of the designs to beat.

The Garand will fail you in extreme cold weather, desert, high humidity, etc. without very attentive maintenance. M14 is the same way. They are both a bad design for infantry soldiers, but the self-loading feature of them was a bit of a game-changer in the 30's and 40's, although handicapped by the decision to go with a terrible chambering over the .276 Pedersen with 10rd En Bloc clip.

"We won WWII" does not equal the M1 Garand is a good weapon. It has nostalgic value to those who have enjoyed shooting it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What mag pouch is that? I could use a spare mag there to counterweight the flashlight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I think it's a Blackhawk but I'll check when I get home. I really like it for the weight reason you mentioned, but it negatively impacts cheek weld.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#18]
For the fella planning to grab an AK for the zombie apocalypse...  I wonder how many AK toting (insert enemy or insurgent organization here) died because they dropped the hammer on an empty chamber at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For the fella planning to grab an AK for the zombie apocalypse...  I wonder how many AK toting (insert enemy or insurgent organization here) died because they dropped the hammer on an empty chamber at the wrong time.
View Quote

wat
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#20]
The Trash Can Forum is to the right.

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bit the bullet and bought the last piece to "finish" this rifle; a Geissele SSA.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I just bit the bullet and bought the last piece to "finish" this rifle; a Geissele SSA.
View Quote
I am doubly proud of you!!!

You got that flash hider I've been bugging you about AND you got a Geissele!!!  You will love it.

Did you make sure to get the right pins size?

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Was merely commenting on the side chatter in this thread about M1s, M16s, shotguns, and then someone said AK about what's the "best"...  

After the en bloc comments, the lack of a last round bolt catch in an AK came to mind.

Keep up fellas,
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You got that flash hider I've been bugging you about AND you got a Geissele!!!  You will love it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. It cost 40 bucks more than a regular one.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know....
']

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The durability of an integral iron sight.
Quick elevation adjustment capability to nail that bad guy at 600 yards.
A long sight radius to make the aforementioned shot easy.
Daniel Defense lite rail for a rigid optics mounting platform.
Aimpoint for short and medium range.
Tacticool A1 stock because I like nose to charging handle.
A flashlight. (Recall that the last thing many reportedly see before death is a blinding white light. This blinding white light is brought to you by Surefire.)
A flash hider. Because fuck Bill Clinton.

This rifle is now DONE. The only addition I am contemplating is a Geissele SSA.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/Couch-Commando/riflebuildfinal_zps989ae183.jpg  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know....

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=50247']

I have no experience with the SSA but I sure do love the high speed in my service rifle build!

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Pretty cool gives me ideas for my dizzy
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have no experience with the SSA but I sure do love the high speed in my service rifle build!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know....

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=50247']

I run SSA-E triggers.  I have one in my Delta Clone, one in my 5.56 bench gun and one slated for my Mega 308...if I ever get my receivers.  It just sits in the box, patiently waiting.  For the rifle you built, the SSA is perfect!!!

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I installed it today. It isn't the best trigger I have, but it sure beats the hell out of the stock trigger.

ETA:

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#31]
To OP and others:

I have been wanting to work on such a project, to "modernize" my 1999 20" A2 Bushmaster 1:9 HBAR. Modernization for tactical/home defense/Canadian Invasion is, lighter barrel, optics, and light to me.  For some reason, I like the "rifle" profile with the 20" barrel.  I already know the debate about barrel length and maneuverability, and already have a 14.5" pinned carbine.

So far, I have in possession a 20" Lightweight profile (pencil), 1:7 twist, chrome lined barrel to replace the HBAR (from McKay Enterprises - they say when current production batch overruns are sold out, they might not get any more).  I intend to replace the HBAR with this, or build onto a A3/A4 upper.

I am contemplating moving to a A3/A4 upper profile with a KAC 0-600 meter sight.  Does the A2 carry handle ever become a hindrance?  Would it have an advantage over the KAC folding 0-600 rear right?

Why did the OP put a full sized red dot on the guard, as opposed to a Micro on a "angled" mount for the handle (cant think of what they are called right now)? (Or a primary arms red dot?).   I thought it was a "should not" type of thing to mount optics on the handguard, even if free floated.  Maybe that is just Mall Ninja Bible Doctrine.  My thoughts were that if I keep the handle, I'd have to weight the costs of the mount for the handle (they seem way to expensive for what they are), and optic (Primary Arms type brand for me because of budget), vs cost and cheaper mounting on the a free float guard.  Wouldn't a full size red dot, or any optic forward of the receiver unbalance the rifle or add too much forward weight?

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
To OP and others:

I have been wanting to work on such a project, to "modernize" my 1999 20" A2 Bushmaster 1:9 HBAR. Modernization for tactical/home defense/Canadian Invasion is, lighter barrel, optics, and light to me.  For some reason, I like the "rifle" profile with the 20" barrel.  I already know the debate about barrel length and maneuverability, and already have a 14.5" pinned carbine.

So far, I have in possession a 20" Lightweight profile (pencil), 1:7 twist, chrome lined barrel to replace the HBAR (from McKay Enterprises - they say when current production batch overruns are sold out, they might not get any more).  I intend to replace the HBAR with this, or build onto a A3/A4 upper.

I am contemplating moving to a A3/A4 upper profile with a KAC 0-600 meter sight.  Does the A2 carry handle ever become a hindrance?  Would it have an advantage over the KAC folding 0-600 rear right?

Why did the OP put a full sized red dot on the guard, as opposed to a Micro on a "angled" mount for the handle (cant think of what they are called right now)? (Or a primary arms red dot?).   I thought it was a "should not" type of thing to mount optics on the handguard, even if free floated.  Maybe that is just Mall Ninja Bible Doctrine.  My thoughts were that if I keep the handle, I'd have to weight the costs of the mount for the handle (they seem way to expensive for what they are), and optic (Primary Arms type brand for me because of budget), vs cost and cheaper mounting on the a free float guard.  Wouldn't a full size red dot, or any optic forward of the receiver unbalance the rifle or add too much forward weight?

View Quote

If you're used to an HBAR, I'd say running an optic forward of the carry handle wouldn't be an issue if you swap to a pencil barrel.

Though removable cray handles are inherently heavier than a dedicated A2 upper.

The KAC sight is a good choice *if* you primarily run a red dot. Otherwise, I'd stock with the carry handle as a primary rear sight of you just want irons. The kac sought isn't weak, but the carry handle will be more robust and won't flip down on you unexpectedly if you run into a tree or if it gets caught on your gear. plus you have the advantage of the 0-200 aperture.

One route you may consider is running a Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight for irons, then you can add or remove the optic without disruption. It's a very lightweight setup, and you get  a "fixed" rear sight with A2 aperture, space for optics, with the only downfall being you can't adjust for elevation. But just zero at 300m and you'll have like two holds out to 500/600.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#33]
dear Lord forgive the auto correct errors. ....
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  I am contemplating moving to a A3/A4 upper profile with a KAC 0-600 meter sight.  Does the A2 carry handle ever become a hindrance?  Would it have an advantage over the KAC folding 0-600 rear right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:  I am contemplating moving to a A3/A4 upper profile with a KAC 0-600 meter sight.  Does the A2 carry handle ever become a hindrance?  Would it have an advantage over the KAC folding 0-600 rear right?

Yes - it's a pain to mount optics on.  Yes, it has 200m over the KAC 0-600m sight.

Quoted:   Why did the OP put a full sized red dot on the guard, as opposed to a Micro on a "angled" mount for the handle (cant think of what they are called right now)? (Or a primary arms red dot?).   I thought it was a "should not" type of thing to mount optics on the handguard, even if free floated.  Maybe that is just Mall Ninja Bible Doctrine.  My thoughts were that if I keep the handle, I'd have to weight the costs of the mount for the handle (they seem way to expensive for what they are), and optic (Primary Arms type brand for me because of budget), vs cost and cheaper mounting on the a free float guard.  Wouldn't a full size red dot, or any optic forward of the receiver unbalance the rifle or add too much forward weight?

If you have a rail that maintains optics zero, such as the non-free float rail the military uses on the M16A2/A3/A4, then it's perfectly acceptable to place a infinite eye relief optic such as a red dot or laser anywhere on the optically zeroed rail system.  It does add forward weight.

The M16A2 rifle I posted pictures of earlier was used by Army Engineers in Iraq, and had the issue Aimpoint mounted on the rear of the top rail.  It wouldn't mount any further back on a cantilever mount, and if mounted on top of the carry handle, effectively requires a cheekpiece to be mounted to the stock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#35]
The weight of the flashlight and the aimpoint kind of reminds me of my dad's stock HBAR. Without either the optic or the light, it seems fairly well balanced. Either way, it's not front heavy enough to cause me to dislike the setup.

I went with this free float tube since it was on clearance and gave me a good excuse to get the barrel threaded. I have a KAC M5 sitting around for whenever I get the Colt AR15A4 clone (hopefully this summer after I move) that I got dirt cheap and used to test the concept. It was a bit heavier with the KAC, but they can be found used cheaply and are easily installed/removed. I never noticed zero problems, but haven't shot it much like this, and tend to use it for short range courses at three gun matches only.

ETA: I do not find the rail mounted aimpoint is hindered at all with the carry handle behind it. However, even I will agree that a better setup would be a flat top with a LMT buis or a chopped carry handle, which is what I was seriously considering when I went this route instead for the robustness of the non detachable carry handle, cheapness, and overall absurdity of how it looks. It continues to make heads explode in GD.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:06:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I know a better setup would be a flat top, and definitely a free floated guard.  I never used my A2 carry handle as a carry handle, but there is just something about the A2 profile.  Somehow a combination of nostalgia/retro, cold war nostalgia, aesthetics and durability that is appealing.  A1/A2's are still in services, and have been in major military services, longer than I have even been alive.  Perhaps that is the reason the detachable carry handles were made, as they are worse at being a carry handle than the A2 is.  But in the end, these rifles aren't for looks, and in my realm, I plan to hand these rifles down to family descendants, and they need to be up to par for any future job at hand.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I know a better setup would be a flat top, and definitely a free floated guard.  I never used my A2 carry handle as a carry handle, but there is just something about the A2 profile.  Somehow a combination of nostalgia/retro, cold war nostalgia, aesthetics and durability that is appealing.  A1/A2's are still in services, and have been in major military services, longer than I have even been alive.  Perhaps that is the reason the detachable carry handles were made, as they are worse at being a carry handle than the A2 is.  But in the end, these rifles aren't for looks, and in my realm, I plan to hand these rifles down to family descendants, and they need to be up to par for any future job at hand.
View Quote

It was never meant to be a "carry handle." It originally shielded the charging handle, and was integrated into the rear sight.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#38]
It works really well as a carry handle, though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#39]
lol
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

Don't let your drill sergeant see you carrying it like that.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somehow I missed the whole drill sergeant thing.  I knew some very demanding Petty Officers, though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:48:03 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Have to wonder which idiot came up with that line? Sounds like something Barrack Obama would come up with.   Anyway . . . how mindlessly stupid is that cliche' line?  Above the gunfire and roar of battle, across the distance an M1 Garand metallic "chink!" spent 8th round sound is discerned. At once, the enemy hears it, he then takes careful tactical advantage and shoots the American soldier.  Really?   This is all Internet nonsense.

When in the 101st Airborne Association years ago there were mostly WW2 guys.  The 8th round chink sound thing tipping off the enemy is a myth.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:50:37 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Have to wonder which idiot came up with that line? Sounds like something Barrack Obama would come up with.   Anyway . . . how mindlessly stupid is that cliche' line?  Above the gunfire and roar of battle, across the distance an M1 Garand metallic "chink!" spent 8th round sound is discerned. At once, the enemy hears it, he then takes careful tactical advantage and shoots the American soldier.  Really?   This is all Internet nonsense.

When in the 101st Airborne Association years ago there were mostly WW2 guys.  The 8th round chink sound thing tipping off the enemy is a myth.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top