Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2013 2:26:16 PM EDT
I want to start an A2 build, but am having trouble finding a 20" barrel with the 1:7 twist ratio in 5.56. I guess a lighter one would be OK, but I like the idea of heavy, a little better heat dispersion I think.

Any leads?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep checking with BCM and PSA, that's what I'm doing. I am a couple/few months away from buying one myself, but I'm going with either of these two.

A year or two ago I recall hearing about a lot of FN rifle barrels on our EE, I wished I had jumped on that back then.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I realized early on in my A2 build that I wouldn't be able to justify the expense of a government profile 1:7 twist barrel, so I just bit the bullet and bought an HBAR 1:9 barrel and called it a day. Techinically, not correct, but it does shoot well. Only draw back is it isn't threaded, and its a bit heavy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I realized early on in my A2 build that I wouldn't be able to justify the expense of a government profile 1:7 twist barrel, so I just bit the bullet and bought an HBAR 1:9 barrel and called it a day. Techinically, not correct, but it does shoot well. Only draw back is it isn't threaded, and its a bit heavy.
View Quote

I've seen some threaded 1:9 barrels somewhere, does the longer barrel help stabilize heavier bullets out of that slower twist? What's yalls opinion on that?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've seen some threaded 1:9 barrels somewhere, does the longer barrel help stabilize heavier bullets out of that slower twist? What's yalls opinion on that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read this, also the ammo oracle might mention this as well. The 1/9 vs 1/7 vs 1/8 twist is a highly debated topic, I am still trying to sort it out myself. If you google the twist rate for ARs' you'll see it's talked about on many forums.
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=186
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How do I go about getting the sight block on?
View All Quotes

Member John Thomas installed one for me.  Did a great job at a fair price.  You can contact him at: [email protected]

He specializes in retro work, but he will do most anything.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A year or two ago I recall hearing about a lot of FN rifle barrels on our EE, I wished I had jumped on that back then.
View Quote

Built mine using one of those FN barrels. They were around $100 when I was buying them at local gun shows. I've not seen anymore in over a year. I would say they have dried up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#9]
You might give Black Hole Weaponry a serious look, http://www.blackholeweaponry.com/
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a Del-Ton 20" government profile barrel on my recent A2 build.  I've used their barrels several times and they have always been good quality and helpful customer service
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used a Del-Ton 20" government profile barrel on my recent A2 build.  I've used their barrels several times and they have always been good quality and helpful customer service
View Quote

Last I checked they are not chrome lined.  

But, they are in stock!!!!!  
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I would search the EE for a lightly used Colt or FN surplus barrel or buy a new BCM.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Both of my rifles have green mountian barrles
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I picked up a couple of FN barrels from OOW when they had them.  Great barrels!
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How do I go about getting the sight block on?
View All Quotes

If it were me doing an A2 build (coming by Spring probably), I'd try to find one included/installed. Failing that, I'd buy one like this and send/take it and a correct FSB to ADCO in Ohio (they are not that far from me) and have them drill and pin it. They are typically drilled together, and while I find it tempting to do it myself, I really don't have the correct set up to do it. And you only get one shot at getting it right.

Dang, now you guys have me tempted to begin looking for more parts for my A2 build (so far only have the grip and shoulder stock!).
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Barrel is all I'm missing :(

Waiting for BCM or PSA to magically appear in stock.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up a 20" govt assy from Sherluk at a gun show. Yeah, I know, but it was about the only stall with barrels there.
Otherwise the Delton's were in stock at the time or I would have gotten a J&T.
I wasn't looking for anything fancy, at least the FSB is on straight!
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#19]
BCM has 20" assemblies in stock, and has for a while now.

Unless you're referring to buying a stripped barrel...
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
BCM has 20" assemblies in stock, and has for a while now.

Unless you're referring to buying a stripped barrel...
View Quote

Where?  Doesn't have to be stripped, but I don't want to buy a whole built flattop upper right now either just for the barrel.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/20-Rifle-Barrel-s/37.htm

All I see in stock with a 20" govt profile barrel are built flattop uppers here:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-20-Rifle-Upper-Group-s/26.htm
Link Posted: 8/8/2013 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Barrel is all I'm missing :(

Waiting for BCM or PSA to magically appear in stock.....
View Quote

Ditto.  I am waiting patiently on a White Oak DMR barrel that I ordered in April.

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:26:10 PM EDT
[#22]
BCM 20" are currently in stock.  Ordered mine this afternoon!
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 4:56:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Do you guys think a BCM barrel would be worth the additional cost compared to a Green Mountain A2 barrel?
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do you guys think a BCM barrel would be worth the additional cost compared to a Green Mountain A2 barrel?
View Quote

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a BCM barrel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Barrel found.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Barrel found.
View Quote
Lucky!

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#27]
FINALLY!!!
My 1/7, White Oak, 20 inch, fluted SDM is IN!!!!
Did a quick mock up tonight....taking it to my smith to have the YHM clamp on gas block pinned to the barrel!!!  
'']
DONE!!!!

'']

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:12:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I've bought several delton 20" government profile 1/9 non chrome twist barrels ..
they shoot great.
in fact ..tbey shoot as good as my A2s with FNMI and chromed bushmaster 1/7 ...barrels.

i personally don't see the need for chrome lined barrels.. a little more time to clean..but thats it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Now that I got mine ordered, Brownell's has Sabre barrels on closeout.

1/9 chrome-lined with FSB for $199.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

That a decent barrel?  Decent price?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's an excellent barrel, iirc made by the same people that produce .50 cal M2 barrels for the US MIL.  

For $199 you get a 20" 1/9 twist chrome-lined barrel with installed front sight base, barrel nut and delta ring.  Compared to buying a stripped barrel as a base, you are probably saving $100 easily.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's an excellent barrel, iirc made by the same people that produce .50 cal M2 barrels for the US MIL.  

For $199 you get a 20" 1/9 twist chrome-lined barrel with installed front sight base, barrel nut and delta ring.  Compared to buying a stripped barrel as a base, you are probably saving $100 easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.  I just ordered one to complete a 20" A2 build.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:03:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

These SDI barrels shoots just as well as my Colts and FN's.  In fact, they made a small batch of M16A4's for Uncle Sugar.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#34]
E.R. Shaw barrels are very good
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#35]
My Sabre barrel is marked 1/9, but on examination, it didn't look quite "right".   Upon comparison with Bushie  1/9   and Colt 1/7,  the Sabre appears to be a lot closer to the 1/7, FWIW.   Maybe a 1/8????   Could be they got some of their barrels mixed up, and marked wrong.   Good shooter, anyway.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Got my Sabrebarrel from Midway.  Haven't installed it yet, but it looks to be of really good quality.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Werner's

MK 12 Douglas
1-7
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Hi Standard 20" 1-7 cl barrel at Brownells

A little more than I expected ($288,) I'll probably go with a Del Ton.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I've been keeping an eye on Del-Ton. They haven't shown the 20 inch barrels in stock for the past couple of months. Do you know of a source that has them in stock now?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Is the Sabre barrel at Brownell's for $199 a 20" barrel? If so can anyone supply me the stock number? I am in need of a couple of 20" barrels with FSB's attached and cannot locate any in stock and at a decent price. I can't locate any 20" Sabre barrels on the Brownell's website...Thanks....<><....:)
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Is the Sabre barrel at Brownell's for $199 a 20" barrel? If so can anyone supply me the stock number? I am in need of a couple of 20" barrels with FSB's attached and cannot locate any in stock and at a decent price. I can't locate any 20" Sabre barrels on the Brownell's website...Thanks....<><....:)
View Quote
Based on what I get from the link posted earlier (Product Not Available), I'd bet that they're sold out.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#42]
There's one more FN on the EE:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1251006_20_FN_M16A2_Barrel_Chrome_Lined_1_7_Twist.html
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:52:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've been keeping an eye on Del-Ton. They haven't shown the 20 inch barrels in stock for the past couple of months. Do you know of a source that has them in stock now?
View Quote

I have one of these coming on Monday.
http://www.del-ton.com/Del_Ton_Inc_Barrels_p/bl1027.htm
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny.  I tried to order one of those Monday night.  Del-ton emailed me bright and early Tuesday to tell me they were out of stock.  

Thank you for your recent order with us. We are out of stock of our 20" Government Profile Barrels, I do not have an ETA.

Link Posted: 12/20/2013 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got my new FN barrel. Still waiting on my FN upper.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 2:38:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Windham Weaponry has A2 profile barrels in stock as of yesterday. I ordered one Sunday night and got an email today saying it has been shipped. 1-7 twist, chrome lined, includes A2-style front sight. If you order by tomorrow it's 10% off and free shipping. I wish I could have afforded to get two.

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopexd.asp?id=309

Ken
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#48]
The picture looks like the Windham barrel comes with a round hand guard cap?
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The picture looks like the Windham barrel comes with a round hand guard cap?
View Quote

Not sure. I'm going to use an A2 style free float tube so it won't matter to me. Even with the incorrect hand guard cap it seems like a good price on the barrel though, even if kind of a PITA to take the sight off to install a correct cap. I'll find out either way next week.

Ken
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I was able to get a a FNMI 20" barrel for my build. If not, would have bought BCM or Palmetto State Armory barrel(s)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top