Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/6/2012 11:11:02 AM EDT
Just got my engraved lower from Braceman and I have a Diemaco Kaiser marked C7 upper receiver which is black in color.  What would be the correct finish for the anodizing and small parts.  Refinishing upper would cost more, but I'm willing to spend the extra dough to make it a correct build.  Any help is appreciated.

Pro2ndAm
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
All the C7 uppers I've seen have been black
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no such thing as a Diemaco Kaiser upper.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the C7 uppers I've seen have been black

I beg to differ

I have this catalog page on my desk, and the broke-down rifle is clearly a gray C7
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/723-733b.jpg

And my rifle
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/C7_rifle.JPG

I stand corrected
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
@ Mike at NDS: Thanks for posting the brochure and the pic of your C7!  It looks pretty good with pencil barrel and A1 profile receiver.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're talking about a Canadian C7 or C8 then the answer is black.  Age/exposure to the elements, has done some strange things to some of the finishes but they all started out as black.

If you're talking about a Colt A1 upper with "Brunton Bump", commonly referred to as a C7 upper, then either would be correct.

DK marked uppers have nothing to do with Diemaco.  Diemaco has always used the stylized D.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I too am standing while typing apparently ... mistakenly thought my upper was a Devtek.  I might just spring a few bucks more to have the upper stripped & reanodized gray.  I found a dimpled pivot pin and just need a dimpled takedown pin to complete the build.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 1:26:16 AM EDT
[#9]

This is what the markings on a real C7/C8 look like.  The biggest giveaway as to whether it's the real deal or not is to look by the windage wheel.  You'll notice that their is no R under the arrow, that's because our bilingual sensitivity can be ridiculously extreme at times.  Wouldn't want the francos getting all confused about what the R was for.  Even Colt supplied C H uppers had the R milled off.

This picture shows the colour difference that can be encountered on these rifles.  Lower appears grey yet it is of the same vintage as the upper, had I photos of other lowers you'd see that most are black.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Leg pictures are of a Canadian forging. Some Diemaco uppers have the Colt C H with a Devtek engraved inbetween. Or if you find a Colt with thr R ground off it. That's one of the orginal one supplied by Colt.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You'll notice that their is no R under the arrow, that's because our bilingual sensitivity can be ridiculously extreme at times.  Wouldn't want the francos getting all confused about what the R was for.

Link Posted: 6/22/2012 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#12]
to Leg: Thanks for the info and great pics!
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#13]
C7 build is now officially underway

Link Posted: 6/23/2012 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Very nice looking lower.  Wish I could find someone that can do that kind of work up here.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top