BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 37
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:26:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#1]
So Infidel, which handguard do you like better?

Ooops, ETA for top of page
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JJREA:
So Infidel, which handguard do you like better?

Ooops, ETA for top of page
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/2017%20Guns/800px-SCRange20034344940_zpsylxbyto0.jpg
View Quote

Jury is out my brother.

The Troy is locked up solid but it feels like a cheese grater, a KAC RAS would be a better choice for feel.  The magpul was a lot lighter.

I am really liking the Aero Precision gen 1 quad rail on my 11.5" Sbr ugly stick.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:58:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#3]
Hey, if the magpul ones aren't mounted right now, would you mind throwing them on a scale for me?   I know they tell what they are on the website but I'm curious about what it REALLY is.  I appreciate the input.  

I'm constantly trying to figure out how to configure my go to HD/SHTF carbine and I still haven't got it quite down yet.  I have a handheld Streamlight Protac AA taped to my double heats right now.....  
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HD2006:
Did a couple small updates to my 727 build.  I swapped out the matte black unknown brand skinny 6 hole handguards for a set of Colt shiny 6 hole handguards.  I also swapped out the standard castle nut for a CAR style lock ring.  I'm pretty much done with it now, the only thing that really bothers me is the extended A2.  It's longer then necessary, even my BCM A2X on a different rifle is slightly shorter and still makes it to 16.1".  If I ever decided to swap it out I'll probably do a standard A2 with a spacer and peel washer.  

http://i.imgur.com/l2gNihnh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eqmt2n6h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aS9Jhmeh.jpg
View Quote

I am obsessed with this rifle. Absolutely perfect. Ready to buy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Finished a mock-up.  Just needs torque and gas tube installed. (I always do this prior to torqueing to make sure parts fit and function). It's my Colt 727 clone.  It's all Colt minus the Tegra Arms lower, which held up to my monkey fisted ham handed lower build..  Sorry for the dark pics I live in a cave.. 

- Colt CM A2 Upper
- USGI A2 Rear Sight Assembly
- Colt Dust Cover Assembly
- Colt Charging Handle (Gen1 Badger Tac Latch)
- USGI "Big Button" Forward Assist
- Colt 2 Position Extension, Plate, Castle Nut (I have a retro lock ring on standby hoping for a Colt)
- Colt N1 Fiberlite Buttstock
- Colt Buffer Spring
- Colt 1980's A2 Grip
- Colt 80-90s "shiny" Handguard
- Colt C marked BCG
- Colt M4 6920 16" CMP Barrel Assembly w/A2 FH
- Colt 1990's LPK
- Colt "silver" FC "S" marked trigger, disconn, and hammer with original chrome springs
- Tegra Arms Lower

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:02:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Core] [#6]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:

Jury is out my brother.

The Troy is locked up solid but it feels like a cheese grater, a KAC RAS would be a better choice for feel.  The magpul was a lot lighter.

I am really liking the Aero Precision gen 1 quad rail on my 11.5" Sbr ugly stick.
View Quote
I really liked my Rifle Length Troy Bravo rail.  It was a bit rough, but very nice.  I can see why Colt adopted them for certain models.  I would like one for my older M4A3 or a KAC RAS.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#7]
The second build in your picture that you have listed as a Canadian A2,   Was also used by the US Army in limted number during The first Gulf War.  Note It had the small round forward assist, weapon made by Colt.

Retired US Army,
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I've thrown this elsewhere on the site, may as well put it here too.

Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#9]

My A2 build using a McKay lower, DPMS upper, and PSA parts. Probably one of my favorite rifles even though I don't shoot it enough.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:04:36 AM EDT
[#10]
My 10.5" suppressed SBR A2 build.

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#11]
That's hot.  Super nice.  Gold Star for you!
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#12]
So... Here is my circa 2001-2004 A2 build, plus a few basic accessories used during that timeframe...

Attachment Attached File

The heart of this rifle is ...yes - Currently built around an Anderson Arms lower receiver which, will eventually get replaced by an 80% custom-engraved lower.
The upper is a mil-spec Cerro (Key) forging with rifle feed ramps, standard A2 port door, USGI rear sight assembly, & T7075 charging handle. The bolt & Carrier
are a standard M16 unit, and the barrel is a Windam Weapons A2 .gov-profiled with standard A2-height front sight base; peel washer; & A2 flash
suppressor (w/ a shoot-off muzzle cap in place). The barrel also has a standard IR laser mount for a AN/PAQ-4 or AN/PEQ-2A installed (located just aft of the
front sight base & mounted through the hand guards).

Attachment Attached File

Standard AN/PEM-1 Laser Borelight System (IT-LBS-301) used for basic boresight-zeroing of visible & IR lasers & other optics.

Attachment Attached File

July 2004 M68 CCO manual & optic (I used a retrofitted Aimpoint Pro as an upgraded substitute in this case) w/ original CCO covers, mounted in an early QRP & Z-bar carry-handle mount.  

Attachment Attached File

Period-correct A2 Technical and Operator's Manuals...

Attachment Attached File

Good-old standard M16A2/A4 25-meter zeroing targets...

Attachment Attached File

Period-correct Eagle Industries TAS-1 three-point sling attached to a Spec-Ops brand 30rd Stock Mag Pouch...

Attachment Attached File

A couple of New In Wrap / New Old Stock 30rd Center Industries mags (w/ point-less ban-era 'restricted'-markings) from June of 2004...  

Attachment Attached File

And lastly - A period-correct Lancay M9 Bayonet (w/ straight grip) that was produced @ March of 2000 (or 2001, I don't recall the exact year)...

I'm currently planning on getting an olive drab Pelican case for this build - thinking probably a 1750 rather than a 1720 so as to be able to actually fit all this stuff in there...
Other than that, I think about all that remains to be done is to apply it's rack number to the stock, optic, and the bayonet's sheath, only ... I haven't yet decided which actual slot
in the M12 rack will ultimately be this rifle's final resting place.

P.S...
Please ignore the UID sticker pictured on the mag-well as it would not have been used on a rifle of that timeframe (2001-2004), & is merely a carry-over of my modern-day ICS.

Hope yall have found this post to have been either entertaining and/or informative...
Do I get a Gold Star too?
FlDiveCop71
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Getting there.  Field expedient sling up next...

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I was culling through parts and realized I had enough for a 727 / XM-4 build for my son (age 18), so I ordered one of the pinned welded Bushmaster M-4 barrels from Numrich, and the kiddo now has his very first Franken AR.

Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:47:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#15]
Oh man that is an awesome thing for an 18 year old to get.  That is a great build.

Of course being an 18 year old, he might want to make it more modern.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Not my kid, he hates all the Pirate Ship, Jango Fett, Star Wars, Star Trek, Pink, Purple, Zombie Green AR's.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Got the Ugly Stick all lined out

Finally got the A2 carbine zero'd
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Picked up this A2 Bushmaster HBAR  1/9 upper, Anderson lower with A2 stock and grip, a few weeks ago.
Love shooting  it.... and I really like the fixed stock.

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#19]
20" toys.  C7, A2, SP1

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:50:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seattlite] [#20]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got this..
How did I do?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:22:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlDiveCop71] [#22]
Originally Posted By Deussne:
Just got this..
How did I do?
http://i.imgur.com/WbmsYFG.jpg
View Quote
Not bad.... Not bad at all. Now you just need to swap out those hand guards for a set of USGI round ones.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:30:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deussne] [#23]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:

Not bad.... Not bad at all. Now you just need to swap out those hand guards for a set of USGI round ones.
View Quote
Thanks. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Deussne:
Just got this..
How did I do?
http://i.imgur.com/WbmsYFG.jpg
View Quote
Build or factory?

Also I usually don't care for color filled rollmarks.

On this rifle they are spot on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MikeE23666:

Build or factory?

Also I usually don't care for color filled rollmarks.

On this rifle they are spot on.
View Quote
I bought a complete Armalite Upper (don't know the history)
Then someone was nice enough to offer me an older Armalite lower to go with my Upper.
So, it was not a factory rifle. However I think they are a good match for each other.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Not sure what the hell is going on on your profile as far as military service goes...  Probably the most icons in that respect I have seen...  But, I do love an A2...
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Where did that hilt come from?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#31]
The Imperial knife company.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow.  Nice.

After all this time I'm just now starting to notice Colt markings.  So when I say I don't think I've ever seen that marking before, it might not be saying much.  But M4/M16 ?????  It looks brand new too.  

But you really know how to do a carbine.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:13:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#33]
R0777 "fixed carry handle M4"

It was a commercial/export transitional model introduced to replace the R0723/727 when the M4 was finalized.

At the time, very few people knew what the hell an M4 was, and the "M16A2E" stands for "M16A2 Enhanced."

Note: while Colt used "military-style" designations, neither "M16A2E," nor "M4/M16A2E" are military designations, though these weapons were purchased and used COTS.  

Great and fairly unusual/unique choice for an 80%!

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Augee:
R0777 "fixed carry handle M4"

It was a commercial/export transitional model introduced to replace the R0723/727 when the M4 was finalized.

At the time, very few people knew what the hell an M4 was, and the "M16A2E" stands for "M16A2 Enhanced."

Note: while Colt used "military-style" designations, neither "M16A2E," nor "M4/M16A2E" are military designations, though these weapons were purchased and used COTS.  

Great and fairly unusual/unique choice for an 80%!

~Augee
View Quote
I wonder if that is the reason behind the markings.....  That they knew the military was either buying some or would buy some.  Otherwise you'd think it would be marked AR15 if it was a commercial lower. But that might not make sense either, cuz I don't know what they typically mark them.  I just have my 20" A2 which is marked Sporter  over Target Model.  LOL.  Similar time frame though....  I think mine was made in 94.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I wonder if that is the reason behind the markings.....  That they knew the military was either buying some or would buy some.  Otherwise you'd think it would be marked AR15 if it was a commercial lower. But that might not make sense either, cuz I don't know what they typically mark them.  I just have my 20" A2 which is marked Sporter  over Target Model.  LOL.  Similar time frame though....  I think mine was made in 94.....
View Quote
Commercial/export select-fire models have been marked "M16" of one variety or another since not long after the military adopted them.

These are separate from U.S. domestic civilian market semi-auto guns.  

The previous M16A2 carbines (R0723/725/727/729) were all marked "M16A2" on the lower.  The 777/779 series introduced the M4/M16A2E, while the 977/979 (flattop) used an "M4 CARBINE" rollmark (I am unsure whether any were made with the flattop and M4/M16A2E rollmark, though this would not surprise me early on).  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll look up all of them numbers, mainly the latter ones, so I know what you're talking about.  LOL.   Some of them don't look familiar to me.  

A2 at the range today:

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:33:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joescuba] [#39]
This model (RO 777) started pop up in 1993.  It was the first carbine I saw that had a factory four position vs the two position collapsible stock.  The first ones I saw were in Africa, being used by members of the French GIGN (Police).  Within a month someone in my unit contacted Colt and purchased ten  M4/16E2 carbines.   I deployed to Columbia in 1993 with one.  I was very impressed with the quality of these weapons.

Regards
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:47:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#40]
Mkay,
I am selling my previous A2 clone because it never got to be what I wanted it to: I like original parts (at least partially, considering that I am in California). 
So I bought this Colt grey, vintage upper I love so much. Came with original Colt BCG and charging handle. 
All I have it to go onto - since it's grey, not black - is my Nodak Spud A1 (actually, XM16) lower. The grey match ain't too bad, after all. But I am looking for a different lower (maybe, McKay?). I need your suggestions, people. I want to make of this a legit A2 clone. 

Now, I have another issue: the front takedown pivot pin ain't locking. I am attaching a close up image of the situation in order for an expert among you to try and suggest what path I shall take to fix this temporarily, until I find a more appropriate lower.

Thanks!

Original Colt A2 Upper on Nodak Lower
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Original Colt A2 Upper on Nodak Lower4 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

by SoloDallas, on Flickr

by SoloDallas, on Flickr

by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:32:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#41]
You need to run a front pin w/ a detent built in it, like these from CavArms:

http://www.cavmfg.com/CAV-15-MKII-Take-Down-Pins-CAVTDP.htm

ETA:  You could also use a clevis pin and some washers.

Ohhhh, I missed that.  See post below.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#42]
You need to use a conversion pin/screw in order to use a large hole upper with a small hole lower.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:27:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#43]
Originally Posted By FlDiveCop71:
You need to use a conversion pin/screw in order to use a large hole upper with a small hole lower.
View Quote
Thanks - such as this?

Offset Adaptor Pin

ETA: nah can't be. I need an adapter of sorts for a large hole upper to a small hole lower.
Does it still exist? Might have to look into a lower sooner than I thought, the interplay between upper and lower as it stands now is huge.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:23:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#44]
We just had a thread with this same problem in there.  You need a bushing for the big hole on the upper receiver.  It's an offset bushing that allow the lower receiver's smaller pin to be used.  

for some reason I can't find the link to them.....  here's a pic though:

Attachment Attached File

And FWIW, I think a lot of colt A2 commercially sold guns had A1 lowers on them at times.  Even some A2's in the military had A1 lowers that were converted to A2's at Anniston, if I'm remembering that correctly.

You could change the furniture out and make it look more A2.  A2 grip and buttstock...  It looks so A1 with that mottled stock on it.    Looks real good though.  I like it even how it is now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#45]
We just had a thread with this same problem in there.  You need a bushing for the big hole on the upper receiver.  It's an offset bushing that allow the lower receiver's smaller pin to be used.  

for some reason I can't find the link to them.....

And FWIW, I think a lot of colt A2 commercially sold guns had A1 lowers on them at times.  Even some A2's in the military had A1 lowers that were converted to A2's at Anniston, if I'm remembering that correctly.
View Quote
Thanks brother. 
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:  Thanks - such as this?

Offset Adaptor Pin

ETA: nah can't be. I need an adapter of sorts for a large hole upper to a small hole lower.
Does it still exist? Might have to look into a lower sooner than I thought, the interplay between upper and lower as it stands now is huge.
View Quote
Yeah, you need the opposite of that - the bushing pictured below your post.

You've got an SP1 upper on a standard lower.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#47]
@SoloDallas

I just had this issue. Below is a link for what you seek. Offset bushing for Colt large pin upper.
JSE link

Orders that are up to $100 that qualify ship flat rate. I bought a mix of smalls and paid $4 shipping.

And since this is a tech thread, obligatory pic of my first steps into 20" rifles.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#48]
My newly acquired Ex LE 6520 is here and I'm in love, not sure if I'll have it refinished by US Anodizing or not. Has had a cage number ground off (just surface) and a fresh shallow number etched in. Shoots like a dream.

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Mossyrocks:
My newly acquired Ex LE 6520 is here and I'm in love, not sure if I'll have it refinished by US Anodizing or not. Has had a cage number ground off (just surface) and a fresh shallow number etched in. Shoots like a dream.

https://i.imgur.com/rzS5SUv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iVm1vyX.jpg
View Quote
Nice find but that would bug the hell out me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:17:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#50]
Originally Posted By MikeE23666:

Nice find but that would bug the hell out me.
View Quote
Well, the plan is a pre ban grey re anodizing and still be under a grand in it.  But you're right, it'll get to me if I don't.
Page / 37
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top