User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 77
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By KJB:
GI 2 qt canteen straps and the "original" homemade "V-tac" was also common.  It's made from the lower part of of an ALICE pack strap and a M3 grease gun sling.  The first one I saw was during ODS.  I made one using the silent sling that worked OK but later found the M3 grease gun sling to be ideal.  I know of at least 3 guys who used these slings in Somalia. Here is a pic of the sling I used in Bosnia back in 95.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/120291018/091809_22121.jpg?t=1255754182

After reading this I ordered parts to build a couple of these myself.

Did pre ALICE packs have the same shoulder strap design?  I'm wondering if something like this might have been used in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 11/7/2009 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By jtb0311:
Did pre ALICE packs have the same shoulder strap design?  I'm wondering if something like this might have been used in Vietnam.

I don't think so.  Maybe someone who has one can chime in.

Link Posted: 11/9/2009 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
GI 2 qt canteen straps and the "original" homemade "V-tac" was also common.  It's made from the lower part of of an ALICE pack strap and a M3 grease gun sling.  The first one I saw was during ODS.  I made one using the silent sling that worked OK but later found the M3 grease gun sling to be ideal.  I know of at least 3 guys who used these slings in Somalia. Here is a pic of the sling I used in Bosnia back in 95.

Any idea who sells the m3 sling?  Can't find one online.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 7:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LonghunterCO] [#4]
Originally Posted By miked010:

Any idea who sells the m3 sling?  Can't find one online.

Mike

GG059
http://www.sarcoinc.com/m3m3a1.html
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
nylon sling   also used for M1 carbine, these are Vietnam era, not Korean era as stated in advertisement
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 44Echo10:
nylon sling   also used for M1 carbine, these are Vietnam era, not Korean era as stated in advertisement

Called sarco and they said they were newly made...ordered one from northridge...thanks...

Mike
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By cyclicyouth:

Here you go dudes! Actual real deal Mogadishu D-boy setup from the JKF Special Warfare Museum.

The car15 seems to be airsoft and not an actual weapon but the sight on it is definitely an Aimpoint 3000

http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/IMG_2974.JPG

A little off topic, but what kind of brain bucket were these guys wearing?
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jsteih:

Here you go dudes! Actual real deal Mogadishu D-boy setup from the JKF Special Warfare Museum.
The car15 seems to be airsoft and not an actual weapon but the sight on it is definitely an Aimpoint 3000

Rangers were wearing the old Kevlar PASGT. In the book, they talked about the spec forces guys wearing skateboarding helmets iirc. It's been a while since I read the book but for some reason that fact stood out to me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Protech skate helmets I think.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Protech skate helmets I think.

Thanks!  These appear to be it!  I don't live to far from the company.
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 4:05:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KJB] [#11]
That sling from Northridge is the right kind.  Standard kevlars for Rangers.  Some had the airborne upgrade kits but most would not.  Covers were desert but webbing and elastic band was OD.  Goggles were the old crappy M44s or commercial motocross.  The Delta helmet would have been the Protec 402519mil on page 2 of the link above painted flat black or flat black and misted with some OD.  The ones I saw looked like they spent all of 10 seconds painting them with whatever 99 cent flat black paint they picked up at Walmart.

That pic from JFK does not look like anything I remember from the time period!  The black chest rig/ vest maybe. I don't know about the type but they were black.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 1:07:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I'm pretty much done with my Black Hawk Down tribute rifle. I'm working on getting an earlier Surefire light that would be more correct for this era of build.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 1:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Dang Doc, that is sweet as hell.
Link Posted: 12/27/2009 3:26:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb0311] [#14]
I haven't shot mine since I added the light - I'm in Afghanistan now (home in less than two weeks though!)  The reason mine is in that position ow is because (not having fired it) having the light any farther back makes a big shadow because of the muzzle.

It's a good question, I'll let you know after I have a chance to get to the range at home.

So...  No damage to the light, but the muzzle blast might pop the cover off (I put a scope cover on my light).  Here's my latest:

Link Posted: 12/30/2009 8:38:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#15]
Well, against my better judgment, I dumped my parts box out on my work bench and look what I found...

Yeah, so I guess it's time to build a BHD-era 653... Do any of my fellow Retro Forum brethren know of a clinic in coastal NC where they treat BRD?
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Well, against my better judgment, I dumped my parts box out on my work bench and look what I found...

Good God man never do that! Do you have that much extra money setting around?!?
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#17]

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/ARs/IMG_1689.jpg

Yeah, so I guess it's time to build a BHD-era 653... Do any of my fellow Retro Forum brethren know of a clinic in coastal NC where they treat BRD?

Yep, that's the start of 4 seperate builds there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Okay, I'm having difficulty justifying this build to my wallet so I'm going to require that Doc post some more pics of his rig...
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Okay, I'm having difficulty justifying this build to my wallet so I'm going to require that Doc post some more pics of his rig...

RTUtah, what would you like to see? I have to work today ( I've been on vacation since Christmas eve.) but, I'll try to take some more pics this evening when I get home.

Doc

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Just the usual angles, Doc - nothing special.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I took some more pictures tonight of my BHD tribute rifle and most of them didn't turn out worth a $h!t. I really need to invest in a new camera.

I purchased an Aimpoint 1000 off of Gunbroker a while back to use on my build. The seller said he didn't know if it worked because he didn't have batteries for it. I placed my bid and won the bidding at $28.00. I got a set of batteries for it and it worked fine except the knob was stripped out that turned it on. I figured I did't have much to lose so I mixed up a little JB Weld and put some into the knob and pushed it onto the shaft. I let it set up for two days before trying it out and it has worked fine ever since. One thing I learned about the old Aimpoint 1000 is that the LED light source isn't near as bright as the newer ones. The way Aimpoint handled the dim LED in a bright enviroment was to use polerized filter on the front of the sight. By turning the front filter it would darken the lens and the sight worked like an ocluded sight...it would have an almost black background and the red dot can be seen much better. By turning the filter 90 degrees it lightens up the lens to almost clear for low light situations or dark targets.

The red circled part at the front is the polerized filter.

Looking through the Aimpoint with the filter turned to the light setting.

Looking through the Aimpoint with the filter turned to the dark setting.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Sweet Doc, thanks; you're getting me fired up to build one.  I've got my eye on an Aimpoint 3000 at the moment; it's got a silver finish so I reckon a few shots of flat-black will be the order of the day for that rig.  Still looking for a good barrel and a C7 upper source and then it's off to find the flashlight and barrel mount.  This build will probably take a little while.  I wish I woulda bought two Colt 14.5" light-weight barrels from Bubbaguns when he had all those; I only got one...
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 9:03:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Sweet Doc, thanks; you're getting me fired up to build one.  I've got my eye on an Aimpoint 3000 at the moment; it's got a silver finish so I reckon a few shots of flat-black will be the order of the day for that rig.  Still looking for a good barrel and a C7 upper source and then it's off to find the flashlight and barrel mount.  This build will probably take a little while.  I wish I woulda bought two Colt 14.5" light-weight barrels from Bubbaguns when he had all those; I only got one...

I just picked up a Aimpoint 3000 off of Craigslist for $50.00.  It's works great and came in the original box with all the paper work, mount, filter, lens covers and two new batteries.  It does have that silver finish so I'll have to spray it black like mentioned above.

Yes I should have bought more than one barrel from bubbaguns too......................................................
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 10:36:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#24]
We definitely dropped the ball on that one, Engineer...  As for the Aimpoint mount, I think I'm going to throw in the towel and use an ARMS carry-handle mount.  I know it's probably not period-correct but I want to keep it as low as possible.  Only question is, will the 3000 work with it since it's so damn long?  It may not clear the top of the handle...

ETA:  Nope, the ARMS mount is a 30mm mount; the 3000 uses a 1" (25mm) tube, so that's out.  Guess I'll mount it like Doc's but it's gonna be super high.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been studying all the photos I have been able to find of the optics used back in 1993 and I have joined a Black Hawk Down web site to try to find out exactly what optics were used in Somalia. So far I've not been able to get a definitive answer. The following Aimpoint sights were available at the time: 1000, 2000, 3000, Comp (pistol site introduced in 1993), Mark III, Electronic G2. From looking at the photos the 3000 could easily be what was used.

The furniture I used was nothing fancy, just some stuff I picked up off the EE. I knew I was going to paint it so I didn't need good original Colt parts. The handguards are 6 hole but they are textured, not smooth like Colt handguards. I run the rubber pad on the buttstock for comfort and mainly to protect the buttstock from getting banged up when setting the gun down on the buttstock. The barrel started life as a 16" M4 barrel that I had cut to 14.7' and the flash hider pined and welded. The flashlight is not correct for the time period and I'm trying to get my hands on an old Surefire to replace it with.  To hold the flashlight pressure switch I used a piece of 21" motorcycle inner tube that I just sprayed very lightly with some camo Krylon.

Anybody looking for the flashlight mount can find them on Gunbroker pretty cheaply. I think if you do a search for "Surefire mount" you should be able to find one.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I really like that rig, Doc.  I'm a little short on paper right now so what I think I may do is dress up my middy E1 as a Desert Storm CAR-15 for the time being, then build a true Delta clone when I've got a few extra bucks to burn.  I've been meaning to get a new set of middy handguards for it anyways, so I ain't afraid to paint the ones I already have.

Is this the same SureFire mount you picked up?
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the complements on my build. Yep, that's the flashlight mount I used. When I decided to do this build I figured I'd just take my time and pick up the parts for the build as the money became avalable. Well, I've manager to find the parts priced right on the EE and Gunbroker and with the help of a forum menber or two so my build wemt quicker that I ever expected. I'm still working on locating the correct flashlight but, I'm sure I'll get one sooner or later.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DocMike:
I've been studying all the photos I have been able to find of the optics used back in 1993 and I have joined a Black Hawk Down web site to try to find out exactly what optics were used in Somalia. So far I've not been able to get a definitive answer. The following Aimpoint sights were available at the time: 1000, 2000, 3000, Comp (pistol site introduced in 1993), Mark III, Electronic G2. From looking at the photos the 3000 could easily be what was used.

The furniture I used was nothing fancy, just some stuff I picked up off the EE. I knew I was going to paint it so I didn't need good original Colt parts. The handguards are 6 hole but they are textured, not smooth like Colt handguards. I run the rubber pad on the buttstock for comfort and mainly to protect the buttstock from getting banged up when setting the gun down on the buttstock. The barrel started life as a 16" M4 barrel that I had cut to 14.7' and the flash hider pined and welded. The flashlight is not correct for the time period and I'm trying to get my hands on an old Surefire to replace it with.  To hold the flashlight pressure switch I used a piece of 21" motorcycle inner tube that I just sprayed very lightly with some camo Krylon.

Anybody looking for the flashlight mount can find them on Gunbroker pretty cheaply. I think if you do a search for "Surefire mount" you should be able to find one.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/BHD_ammo.jpg

Doc

The Surefire 6P flashlights I own I have had since before we went to Desert Storm. Which model are you using on your gun currently and how is it different?

Nice looking carbine!
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#29]
fingaz, I wasn't aware that the 6P was that old. A while back I posted in the EE "Want to Buy" section that I was looking for an old Surefire and I received an e-mail from one guy saying he has a few of the ones I am looking for. He said he just needed to find them because he had them packed away. I haven't heard from him in a while so I need to e-mail him to see if he ha had any luck finding his lights. This is the Surefire with the remote switch that I'm looking for.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DocMike:
fingaz, I wasn't aware that the 6P was that old. A while back I posted in the EE "Want to Buy" section that I was looking for an old Surefire and I received an e-mail from one guy saying he has a few of the ones I am looking for. He said he just needed to find them because he had them packed away. I haven't heard from him in a while so I need to e-mail him to see if he ha had any luck finding his lights. This is the Surefire with the remote switch that I'm looking for.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/14dkqwg.jpg

Doc

Other than the remote switch (which I never managed to buy) that is the exact vintage 6P that I have.

I am trying to think back, but IIRC, I bought my first 6P in 1988 or 1989. Paid $50 for it then which many considered outlandish for a flashlight. It was "new" technology for the average consumer, and though it has been greatly eclipsed since then, it impressed everyone who saw it for its power and brilliance in a small package.

Also picked up the scarce 12Z, a 4-battery model with the large head.

Today, one 6P sits in a holster with GG&G spiked bezel on it, and the other has a 290 lumen LED installed and is mounted on my submachine gun.

I hope you are able to find the one you need. If I had the proper tail cap I might have considered a trade of some kind.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Dunno about the remote switch, but what you want is usually referred to as a "Vintage 6P Round Body"

They come up once in a while over at the Candle Power Marketplace:

Marketplace
Possibly Still for Sale? No Pics
Sold, but with Pics
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firefighter1241] [#32]
Originally Posted By Tumerboy:
Dunno about the remote switch, but what you want is usually referred to as a "Vintage 6P Round Body"

They come up once in a while over at the Candle Power Marketplace:

Marketplace
Possibly Still for Sale? No Pics
Sold, but with Pics

No what is his looking for is a Surefire Classic Weapon Light.  The vintage 6P and the Classic Weapon light are two different lights.

Classic Z32 Shock Isolated bezel from weapon light on left, Vintage 6P bezel on right.

Classic weapon light body on left vintage 6P body on right.

Weapon light body comes apart to fit on other surefire weapon lights like shotguns and other vintage lights like this classic Glock light.

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#33]
One of the biggest problems is finding a good working and looking tape switch.  Because of age and use they start to look like this.

Cable is starting to pull out of the tail cap.

But with this little fix I can update the tailcap and keep your vintage good tape switch from getting any more damage.
Before

After

Start with a Surefire UM tailcap and take it apart.

Next take apart the vintage tape switch.

Use the following parts in this picture to assemble your updated vintage looking tape switch

Place the O-ring back into the vintage tail cap

Now push in the guts of the UM tail cap into the vintage tail cap. It will fit very loose but once its on the gun it will fit better.

I add the dust cover back on because it help hold the UM guts from falling out of the vintage tail cap.

Just plug in your new tape switch and add your light then your good to go.

If you try and use a new type 6P tail cap you will need to make the hole bigger once you take out the guts of the switch.

Its also a little longer and Im not sure if that will be a problem.

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 3:09:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firefighter1241] [#34]
Older vintage tail caps will have Laser Products  etched into the tail cap.  Older tail cap on the left.

Older model on right is missing etched Surefire logo on bezel as well at textured grip on body under the mount on the right.

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Retro flashlight disease!

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Now I have something else to peruse the funshow tables for.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice weapon-light tech.  I love and hate how detailed a single build can get.

Doc, what carry-handle rail is that?  I've found a few here and there but none that extend that far forward.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow, I just learned more about old Surefires than I ever wanted to know.....actually I just didn't know there was THAT MUCH to know. One can never have too much knowledge. Thanks Firefighter

Originally posted by RTUtah:
Doc, what carry-handle rail is that? I've found a few here and there but none that extend that far forward.

Actually the mount isn't that long, the Aimpoint has a build in mount that makes it look like a long mount.

The blue area is the built in mount and the red arrow points to the front end of the carry handle mount.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 1:35:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#38]
Would it be blasphemy if I were to use an A1 upper (no deflector) and an Aimpoint 9000sc with an ARMS carry-handle mount?  Damn hard to pin down an Aimpoint 3000 these days, and the 9000 is close in size.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#39]
RT, My feeling is that you should use whatever you can get for parts. You can always keep looking for the correct parts if you want. That's exactly why mine has the  incorrect flashlight on it. I still not convinced that the Aimpoint 1000 is the correct optic on mine. It might be correct because it was available at the time but, none of the photos I've been able to to find are clear enough to tell for sure. The Aimpoint 3000 was also around at the time so they might have been used instead of the Aimpoint 1000. As I posted earlier, I've joined a Black Hawk Down website and a lot of the registered members are Somalia '93 veterans. The problem there is that the web site doesn't generate much traffic any more so getting questions answered is really hit or miss.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I had access to some of those lights for free a few years ago, nobody wanted them because they were "old school" and people typically need to have whatever the newest models of ________ (add whatever you want in the blank).  

I still have one on my Colt AR-15A3 (6721 I think), I chose to put the money toward another rifle rather than spend the money on a newer model light for this one.  I bought this one new through my department during the ban for $660 shipped.  

I'm gonna go back to my source and see if I can get a few more (they probably threw them away by now)

Rob
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Been watching this thread .  I remember this light setup on the Colt  9mm subguns we were using. But we had the actual barrel mount on the FSB, not the barrel ( no barrel  room).  I got to find one of those old 6P lights too.  I have one of the old barrel mounts and hope to use it on a 723 clone I am building.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 11:28:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Joefriday22] [#42]
Originally Posted By hypersport750:
Been watching this thread .  I remember this light setup on the Colt  9mm subguns we were using. But we had the actual barrel mount on the FSB, not the barrel ( no barrel  room).  I got to find one of those old 6P lights too.  I have one of the old barrel mounts and hope to use it on a 723 clone I am building.

That's exactly where mine shown above came from..Colt 9mm SMG, for some reason the mount won't fit through the FSB on this rifle (plus the side sling mount is in the way), it will only fit around the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Doc, I just lost a bid on eBay for a 3000 but I'm a little relieved.  It had the silver finish on it and it looked long as shit, like 7".  I think there were a few Aimpoint CompM's in circulation by '93 so they could have been using those as well.  I've got a CompM on my other rifle but I don't feel like slapping it on this build because that means I've gotta replace it with something newer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 12:41:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Alright, a little progress tonight.  A2 upper, Aimpoint Electronic Mark III and carry-handle mount all showed up over the past few days so I did a little mock-up to see where we stand.  The mount came from Brownells for about $25, and as you can see, it is super long.  So, instead of spending $70 + on an ARMS or a B-Square mount, I decided to get a little froggy with my files and a hand saw.  I shortened it with the first cut, and then decided to cut a little more.  Ghetto?  Yes, but also effective.  Just need a little paint now...

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 3:27:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: firefighter1241] [#45]
Originally Posted By hypersport750:

I like them too.

This Mount will NOT work on early M16A1 barrels that have the forging flash removed
Forging flash removed on barrel on the left. and will not work with front sight mount.

The reason is the front sight post thread hole area is lower on the FSB than is it with the newer FSB or the FSB is wider than what the mount was built for.

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice looking light mount. Is that an inner tube "Ranger band" on the handguards? For anybody interested, inner tubes cut into heavy duty rubber bands have many uses for holding equipment. Visit your local bicycle repair shop and ask if they have any old used inner tubes that they are throwing out. Also motorcycle shops are always throwing out inner tubes also which are larger than bike inner tubes.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 11:12:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firefighter1241] [#47]
The best thing I have found for mounting tape switches to nonrailed handguards is the rubber innertube of a mountain bike tire. After I cut it into bands I pull it over the front sight and on to the handguards. It holds the pressure pad of the tape switch without turning it on. I use a 2nd band to help hold down any extra cable so it will not get snagged on anything. I tried to use velcro pads but find that the glue on the velcro will just not hold over time especially in the heat of the summer.

Link Posted: 1/26/2010 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#48]
firefighter1241, Yep, "Ranger bands" that's what I thought. On my BHD rifle I've got an inner tube band holding my switch also. I sprayed mine very lightly (actually just dusted on) with Krylon to help it blend with the camo paint. Sure, it will wear off but, I'm still thinking of giving my gun an artificial age job so, I don't mind it not being perfect.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/26/2010 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#49]
It is hard to take a wire brush to a perfect looking lower, but the results are awesome.
You no longer worry if the rifle gets banged around...and it just looks right.
Go ahead and do it, I sure you'll like the results.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#50]
So would a BHD carbine have a A1 or A2 upper?  And  what about the barrel, M4 or lightweight?
Page / 77
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top