User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 77
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 8:53:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#1]
Originally Posted By firefighter1241:
So would a BHD carbine have a A1 or A2 upper?  And  what about the barrel, M4 or lightweight?

Well, it's a sliding scale.  Mine and Doc's builds are based on the RO727 carbine, which has an A2 upper and an M4 barrel, however, there were certainly a few "A1.5" uppers (A1 with brass deflector) and a few 14.5" LW barrels still in use during Operation Gothic Serpent.  Honestly, if you wanted to kill two birds with one stone, you could build a rig with an A1.5 and a 14.5" LW barrel and pass it off as an IDF build one day, add an Aimpoint and a Surefire 660 or 6P, and pass it off as a Delta-inspired BHD build the next.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]
So would a BHD carbine have a A1 or A2 upper?  And  what about the barrel, M4 or lightweight?

I think you could get away with either upper and either barrel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jtb0311:

I think you could get away with either upper and either barrel.

Thants good news.  

I have a gray C7 upper with colt M4 barrel on a nodak A1 lower as my truck gun but is have as a few updates.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
That's good news.  

I have a gray C7 upper with colt M4 barrel on a nodak A1 lower as my truck gun but is have as a few updates.

Dude, you're pretty much there minus the Aimpoint and flashlight.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Dude, you're pretty much there minus the Aimpoint and flashlight.

I have 4 classic lights.  Im the one who posted all of the Surefire light info .   I have a bid on a Aimpoint 3000 right now on gunbroker.  I will so post pics when I get it finished.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 4 classic lights.  Im the one who posted all of the Surefire light info .   I have a bid on a Aimpoint 3000 right now on gunbroker.  I will so post pics when I get it finished.

Oh yeah, the Surefire tech; thanks for the info by the way.  Good luck on the auction.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 8:52:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: madmanblake] [#7]
Thinking about changing my late 653 build to a 723 - did the earliest M4 barrels have the extended feed ramps?  

Does anybody know when the A2 uppers got the M4 ramps?

Also, did the carbine A2 uppers use the 8/3 or 6/3 rear sights?

Oh man, just when I thought my builds were mostly done...
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe all normal A2 uppers have 8/3 sights, while removable carry handles have 6/3.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe all normal A2 uppers have 8/3 sights, while removable carry handles have 6/3.

Thanks.  I didn't know if the 6/3 sights were removable handle only or for carbines, too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#10]

This.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#11]
A little mock-up; progress is slow...

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#12]
It's looking good so far. Some assembly required.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
What kind of rail shoud I use to mount an Aimpoint 3000 on my C7 upper?

It looks like it could be an ARMS rail

ARMS ????

Square rail mount??????

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 11:11:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#14]
I'm not a fan of the squared ones; that's why I cut mine (check one page back).  Only thing is, the mount I used isn't exactly to BHD-era spec, but I grew weary of trying to figure out which mount to get.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think you would be wrong using either one. Personally, I like the looks of the ARMS type of mount better than the square type but that's just me. I wish I could tell what is wrapped around the optics and the carry handle in some of the pictures I've seen. It almost looks like maybe it might be a hose clamp or maybe nylon wire ties.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DocMike:
I don't think you would be wrong using either one. Personally, I like the looks of the ARMS type of mount better than the square type but that's just me. I wish I could tell what is wrapped around the optics and the carry handle in some of the pictures I've seen. It almost looks like maybe it might be a hose clamp or maybe nylon wire ties.

Doc

Just a guess but I would think that if the nut for the mount would fall off the nylon wire ties would keep the scope on the rifle so that way you only drop the nut and not the whole thing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Masa:
Hello. I'm FAR from an expert, but I took some photos of the lights and sight that I purchased form the early 90's. Again, I'm not certain if these were ever used by the military, just purchased from that time-frame. The sight is an Aimpoint 3000 - it looks a bit different from the sight shown on the museum display. Maybe the military was issued a different version.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/leMongelo/AR15%20Retro/aimpoint3000.jpg

A pair of lights. The top is an infrared light and can only be seen through night vision. The bottom is just a standard light. I'm not certain if these are 6P's - there are no markings on the body and the shape of the bezel is a bit different (it doesn't have those edges). They are marked "Surefire" but the markings on the tail caps are different from 6P's - they have "Fountain Valley, CA, Laser Products, Sure-Fire".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/leMongelo/AR15%20Retro/surefirelights01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/leMongelo/AR15%20Retro/surefirelights02.jpg

Hope this helps.

something like this?
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Or this:

Link Posted: 2/14/2010 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I be berry berry jealous.  Nice looking build!!!!  Can't wait to see it when it's done.
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, my investigation goes on to try to figure out what optics were used in Mogadishu in 1993. I have the 3-Disc Deluxe Edition of the movie, Black Hawk Down and on the last disc there is the History Channel documentary about the events of that fateful day. In the closing credits of the show they show pictures that appear to have been taken in Mogadishu and I spotted this picture (sorry about the bad picture quality, I had to snap the picture of the TV screen with my digital camera.) that with out a doubt shows the gun equipped with an Aimpoint 3000. From everything I have been able to learn I do believe there wasn't one optic used but, rather a few different optics used because I believe they were often acquired by the units themselves or by individual purchases.

Clearly an Aimpoint 3000

Same picture, a little larger.

Not so sure of this optic.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, my investigation goes on to try to figure out what optics were used in Mogadishu in 1993. I have the 3-Disc Deluxe Edition of the movie, Black Hawk Down and on the last disc there is the History Channel documentary about the events of that fateful day. In the closing credits of the show they show pictures that appear to have been taken in Mogadishu and I spotted this picture (sorry about the bad picture quality, I had to snap the picture of the TV screen with my digital camera.) that with out a doubt shows the gun equipped with an Aimpoint 3000. From everything I have been able to learn I do believe there wasn't one optic used but, rather a few different optics used because I believe they were often acquired by the units themselves or by individual purchases.

Clearly an Aimpoint 3000
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/HistChnlBHD3000.jpg

Same picture, a little larger.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/BHDAIMPOINT3000.jpg

Not so sure of this optic.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/100_1904.jpg

Doc

looks like the guy in the background of the first and second pic has his optic set up differently than the guy in the foreground.....is it just mounted differenltly or a different optic all together?
Link Posted: 2/14/2010 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice work, Doc.  The last photo looks like it could be of an Aimpoint Comp model as they launched in '93 according to the website.
Link Posted: 2/15/2010 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice work, Doc.  The last photo looks like it could be of an Aimpoint Comp model as they launched in '93 according to the website.

Thanks, my wife thinks I'm crazy because I keep watching these Black Hawk Down DVD's over and over trying to catch any details that I may have missed. I think you may be right about the Aimpoint Comp. Than't kind of what I was thinking also.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 6:34:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762minigun2] [#24]
There is an Surefire M14 barrel mount base in the EE right now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 2:40:40 AM EDT
[#25]
My truck gun went from this

To this

I know the buffer nut and plate are not right but I can't find my tools to put on the right one on.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Damn, that thing is perfect!  I must find an Aimpoint 3000...
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#27]
This may sound crazy, but I see these truglo or some kind of red dot simmons makes or something and their profile is awfully similar.  I have debated about using one of those.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I found the ARMS mount in the mail last night when I got home.   I got off gunbroker for $32 shipped.  It was midnight but I was not going to get any sleep untill I got to set up my truck gun as a BHD carbine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#29]
firefighter1241, That's looking really good. I have to admit that these Aimpoint 3000's have me scratching my head a bit. I can clearly see yours says "Aimpoint 3000" yet it looks considerably shorter than the one pictured on Aimpoint's discontinued sights page and in the picture I posted from the History Channel program. Does anybody know if these came in two lengths?

Doc
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I was thinking the same thing, Doc, but I don't have any answers; Firefighter's does look much shorter than the others I've seen.  Keep in mind that the Aimpoint Comp debuted in 1993 and it looks like most modern Aimpoints, save for the newest models like the T1.  I'm throwing the idea around of taking the Comp that I have on my reece build and replacing it with a 1-4x optic so I can use it on this build.  Anybody know when ARMS first came out with their #16 carry-handle Aimpoint mount?

Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I finally got around to taking a few updated pictures tonight. A while back I was contacted by a "real deal operator" that had seen my earlier post of my BHD tribute rifle with the incorrect flashlight installed. He asked me if I would be interested in the correct Surefire light for the time period. He also offered to sell me a K-pot to add to my collection. Well, I couldn't pass up his offer as I was already looking for the correct light and the K-pot was a bonus I hadn't even considered getting. I picked up the chocolate chip camo cover and goggles off of E-bay to add to the K-pot.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Very cool man, very cool! Nice work.  BD
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I finally got around to taking a few updated pictures tonight. A while back I was contacted by a "real deal operator" that had seen my earlier post of my BHD tribute rifle with the incorrect flashlight installed. He asked me if I would be interested in the correct Surefire light for the time period. He also offered to sell me a K-pot to add to my collection. Well, I couldn't pass up his offer as I was already looking for the correct light and the K-pot was a bonus I hadn't even considered getting. I picked up the chocolate chip camo cover and goggles off of E-bay to add to the K-pot.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/Mogadishu.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/BHDTribute.jpg

Doc

Looks Good, I have my period correct light and mount and a nice Aimpoint 1000 was delivered to me today.  I have an A1.5 upper (A1 sights with F/A and deflector) that I have been planning to use.  Just need a barrel, debating on M4 or A1 pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Bump just because it's about time for someone ask something about a BHD build again.

Doc
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#35]
That is pretty darn sweet.  Don't you need the old jungle boots to go properly?
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Bump just because it's about time for someone ask something about a BHD build again.

Doc

LOL...  I've been on a kick lately from that time period (I was active duty then) and I am currently working on another.  I like all the bells and whistles of the new whiz-bang stuff, but I LOVE the simple designs I trained with.

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
That is pretty darn sweet.  Don't you need the old jungle boots to go properly?

Man, you had to bust me out on a public forum didn't you ( ) .......yes, my boots are too new. Nobody was supposed to notice.  

Doc

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Damn!  Not sure how I missed this before, but I saw your pic in the 14.5" thread and started back-tracking in here.  Fantastic era-build!  

Is that a complete Colt upper assembly, or if not, what barrel did you use?
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I just started my build based on this picture...

Should be done in a week or two.  I had to go with a bushy 11.5 with pinned 5.5 to stay 16.  I may update it with one of 45Bravo's barrels later.  I'll post pics once I finish.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SgtKiwi:

http://i44.tinypic.com/t53n9w.jpg

Should be done in a week or two.  I had to go with a bushy 11.5 with pinned 5.5 to stay 16.  I may update it with one of 45Bravo's barrels later.  I'll post pics once I finish.

Arrgh, I knew I shouldnt have looked at this thread.
Especially since I've watched BHD 3 times in the last month.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:

Damn!  Not sure how I missed this before, but I saw your pic in the 14.5" thread and started back-tracking in here.  Fantastic era-build!  

Is that a complete Colt upper assembly, or if not, what barrel did you use?

I put the upper together with almost all colt parts.  

The gray C7 upper is Colt and the M4 barrel is also Colt, gray delta ring helps make it just right. with the gray charging handle.  The handguards are Isreali 6 hole because I use this gun more than others and don't want to break or crack any of my Colt 6 hole handguards.   The only things not Colt that I can think of are the BCG that is from Bravo Company and the extended flash hinder that I think is Saber Defence.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TexSquirrel:
Originally Posted By SgtKiwi:

http://i44.tinypic.com/t53n9w.jpg

Arrgh, I knew I shouldnt have looked at this thread.
Especially since I've watched BHD 3 times in the last month.

BRD /thread

Link Posted: 3/22/2010 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#43]
OK finally finished my BHD clone (somewhat, I may tweak it a little)

My inspiration was these three pictures...

And mine....

and with a few accessories...

Link Posted: 3/22/2010 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Hell yes!  That took some sack to paint it, but it looks damn good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 8:52:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SgtKiwi] [#45]
Hell yes!  That took some sack to paint it, but it looks damn good.

Thanks.  It's just a little (OK alot) too clean.  I'm gonna shoot the hell out of it, clean it as normal a few times with solvents, and toss her around on the range table/workbench/bed of truck like the bitch she is for awhile until she looks like I want (basically treat her like I did any issued weapon).

ETA:  I'm impatient.  Aged her a little bit...

Link Posted: 3/22/2010 10:50:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DocMike] [#46]
Wow, that's lookin' really good. I haven't had the cojones to bring myself to paint my entire gun...well, that and mine is built with a DPMS upper and lower which are Teflon coated and I don't think the paint would stick very well. I've been thinking about doing an artificial age job on mine. What did you use to age yours?

Doc

ETA: Oh yeah, what are you using to hold your flashlight tape switch?
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 11:00:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SgtKiwi] [#47]
Wow, that's lookin' really good. I haven't had the cojones to bring myself to paint my entire gun...well, that and mine is built with a DPMS upper and lower which are Teflon coated and I don't think the paint would stick very well. I've been thinking about doing an artificial age job on mine. What did you use to age yours?

Doc

ETA: Oh yeah, what are you using to hold your flashlight tape switch?

Thanks...

Aging:

To cut the paint:  Brake parts cleaner with a rag and one finger on the usual wear spots

To cut the anodizing a little: sandpaper with one finger on the sharp edges of the high spots

Tape switch holder:  Blackhawk velcro watch band (I prefer yours, but still need to go to the store to pick up some tube).  I can't bring myself to use electrical tape like in the movie.

Link Posted: 3/22/2010 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Damn, I need to post up a few pics of my midlength E1 since I painted the furniture and added an Aimpoint 1000...
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Damn, I need to post up a few pics of my midlength E1 since I painted the furniture and added an Aimpoint 1000...

Please do, I love this thread.

Link Posted: 3/23/2010 1:50:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Doc,

Don't worry the paint will stick just fine.  I've painted more than a few DPMS rifles with zero problems.  In fact I had a real hard time getting the paint off on one when I changed my mind!
Page / 77
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top