Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2017 9:02:32 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a free-floated 14.5 inch pinned and welded AR. I'm not dogmatic and I'm open to different manufacturers, gas systems, barrel treatments, barrel profiles, etc.

I used M16A2s in the Marines and I have a BMC 16 inch mid-length that I like a lot so I'm not new to ARs, but I have no experience with piston ARs.

I stumbled across many glowing reviews of various PWS models and their 114 is very close to being what I want feature wise.

My only piston rifle experience is with AKs and I own a Vepr FM 4.45mm. Is the recoil impulse of the PWS guns like an AK due to the long stroke piston, more like a DI AR, or is it it's own animal entirely?

Any input would be welcome,

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Ill just leave this here, i love my mod1 mk114 in comparison to my odin works 18in intermediate gas, the pws  is softer shooting and i find that fucking crazy. i use only the 4th setting unsuppressed and cycles m855 ans m93 flawless i bought my first box or tula 223 just to see if it also would cycle on the 4th setting and it short stroked which i expected i then tried the 3rd setting and it cycled fine. so PWS saying the 3rd and 4th setting are "suppressor" setting is BS. reminds me of my m240s adjustable gas when she gets dirty open her up. same concept here. https://youtu.be/tIDBEzVuUkU
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:40:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Ill measure and the gas port sizes when i get a chance, its a heavier bcg and a h2 buffer im suprised on the 4th setting it cycles because looking at the 4th setting its damn close to my spike chf 14.5 middy which is right around .070.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:03:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, PWS's shoot soft.  LWRC's are short stroke and have a slightly sharper impulse.  Neither is problematic , but every review I've ever read say's PWS is a pleasure. Any chance to get some range Time?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:27:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ill just leave this here, i love my mod1 mk114 i have an odin works 18in intermidate gas and is shoot softer than that which i find fucking crazy. i use only the 4th setting unsuppressed and cycles m855 ans m93 flawless i bought my first box or tula 223 just to see if it also would cycle on the 4th setting and it short stroked which i expected i then tried the 3rd setting and it cycled fine. so PWS saying the 3rd and 4th setting are "suppressor" setting which is BS, and i love it. reminds me of my m240s adjustable gas when she gets dirty open her up. same concept here. https://youtu.be/tIDBEzVuUkU
View Quote
I had a mod 1 for a few years. I generally ran it on setting 2 for most all ammo. It would cycle Tula just fine, but I rarely ran the stuff.

I sold it recently and picked up a Mod 2. The gas settings have changed to only three. I generally run it on setting one. Setting two is a bit less gas, it still shoots fine, have note tried Tula in it, yet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm in the market for a free-floated 14.5 inch pinned and welded AR. I'm not dogmatic and I'm open to different manufacturers, gas systems, barrel treatments, barrel profiles, etc.

I used M16A2s in the Marines and I have a BMC 16 inch mid-length that I like a lot so I'm not new to ARs, but I have no experience with piston ARs.

I stumbled across many glowing reviews of various PWS models and their 114 is very close to being what I want feature wise.

My only piston rifle experience is with AKs and I own a Vepr FM 4.45mm. Is the recoil impulse of the PWS guns like an AK due to the long stroke piston, more like a DI AR, or is it it's own animal entirely?

Any input would be welcome,

Thanks
View Quote

I have a Mod 2, MK114. It tips the scalle at 6 pounds two ounces. It's a nice, lightweight carbine, I generally shoot m193. The recoils pulse is a bit different than a 5.56. It's not overly harsh or sharp, but there is a very different feel. I like it, shoots well, accurate and has been darn reliable.

I had no complaints out of my Mod1 I had before this either.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#6]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAVHMXnI-2I&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Another question, probably a deciding factor. I see that they make several different muzzle devices, will they pin and weld another of their devices in lieu of the default "FSC" brake that comes on the rifle? I prefer flash hiders to brakes. Seeing that it's pinned and welded (on the 14.5 guns) and relatively permanent I'd like as much versatility as possible for the future, especially if I ever decide to suppress the thing. They have a couple of other muzzle devices that they make that I would be happy with if you can order them on the weapon.

BCM has a drop-down menu of muzzle device options for their rifle offerings on their website, but I don't see anything like that on the PWS site.

Does PWS work with you or do they stick strictly to their advertised offerings? I have emailed them on the subject but they are probably have a backlog to get through.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
PWS will certainly pin and weld ANY device you provide. You only need to call or e-mail and establish a work order to get this accomplished.
I contacted them a few months ago about this. They are very easy to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
PWS will certainly pin and weld ANY device you provide. You only need to call or e-mail and establish a work order to get this accomplished.
I contacted them a few months ago about this. They are very easy to deal with.
View Quote
Thanks Leonitus, That is very nice to know
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered a MK114 directly from PWS.

WOW, I can't remember when I have had such friendly, timely, and competent customer service from any other company of any industry. It's almost like they are interested in people buying and using their products! Seriously, I talked to two actual people there and I was inundated with more relevant help and information than I was prepared for. Usually trying to get detailed information from companies is like pulling teeth, I'm in shock.

If the carbine itself is even half as good as the customer service I'll be a happy camper indeed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just ordered a MK114 directly from PWS.

WOW, I can't remember when I have had such friendly, timely, and competent customer service from any other company of any industry. It's almost like they are interested in people buying and using their products! Seriously, I talked to two actual people there and I was inundated with more relevant help and information than I was prepared for. Usually trying to get detailed information from companies is like pulling teeth, I'm in shock.

If the carbine itself is even half as good as the customer service I'll be a happy camper indeed.
View Quote
When I was still in the industry, their CS blew me away.  I called them to ask about a technical detail, and they were so helpful I went ahead and ordered a Mk116 while on the phone with them.  Then I had to quickly sell something else before my CC bill came due to cover the cost .

Great decision.  Love my PWS.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but here is the MK114 I ordered
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
So I've come full circle and now I'm able to answer my own question about the PWS recoil impulse after shooting the MK114 today. It is at least as easy to get controlled follow-up shots with the PWS as it is with the BCM DI Mid-length carbine I have. Both are in 5.56/.223.

I was expecting the overall shooting feel to be closely akin to an AK in 5.45 due to the long stroke gas piston. The PWS piston is much smaller, lighter and closer to the bore and the ergonomics are pure AR so there really isn't much comparison to be made between the PWS and an AK at all, at least in 5.56/.223 anyway.

I'm very impressed with the look, feel, and shooting characteristics of the PWS carbine. I can definitely recommend the product based on my experience with their people over the phone and with my first impressions of the MK114.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#14]
That's good to know. Thanks for the info. I am thinking about picking up one of their new 7.62x39s. Maybe an 11" pistol.. maybe a 14.5".. we will see.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top