[#1]
Time for a bolt redesign.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Time for a bolt redesign.
View Quote
Is that the issue? 855A1 is breaking bolts?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC that's one of the issues.  They also had feeding issues but I believe that was largely solved with the gen 3 pmags.  I think a bolt redesign would fix the issue.  Maybe move to Aeromet like the LMT enhanced bolt.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
so let me see if i have this right....855a1 penetrates armor and steel better than mk318 but 318 is better on general barriers.

is 855a1 capable of poking thru ceramic plates? if so, at what distance?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
so let me see if i have this right....855a1 penetrates armor and steel better than mk318 but 318 is better on general barriers.

View Quote
All level iv ceramic plates will stop it.

Should do well against dyneema type plates.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
so what is this armor i keep hearing the bad guys have?

why is the army so hell bent on a round to penetrate armor? atleast that is what i thought i read.

if thats not the case and its just a barrier issue, 318 should be fine and its not a parts breaker.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

so what is this armor i keep hearing the bad guys have?
View Quote
Isis seems to have quite a few technicals with random steel welded on.

IIRC quite a few eastern block countries were using dyneema based plates.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#8]
So the "end all, be all HK" is failing due to the ammo?

Wow, did NOT see this coming!  
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
yup...

it would be funny if somebody asked the brass on capital hill why their M4's and M16A4 are not having this issue.

its been almost 5 years now and HK has no clue how to handle 855A1.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
yup...

it would be funny if somebody asked the brass on capital hill why their M4's and M16A4 are not having this issue.

View Quote
But such innovation!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
yup...

View Quote
i thought M4's did have bolt breakage problems with 855a1...no?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Isis seems to have quite a few technicals with random steel welded on.

IIRC quite a few eastern block countries were using dyneema based plates.
View Quote
that makes sense now. thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:48:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I thought M4's did have bolt breakage problems with 855a1...no?
View Quote
They do, but at higher intervals than HK, i dont have the numbers off the top of my head but you could replace an m4 for close to what it cost to replace a HK bolt,lol.

While I am not in any way saying that the HK is a bad weapon.  the Marketing job that HK pulled with their 416 should be studied in all major business schools for the net hundred years.

They should of just went with the LMT EBCG and called it a day. funny thing is that they decided it wasn't worth the extra money to buy the EBCG. Fast forword a couple years, everbody wants a gun that has a bolt that is 4 times as expensive with less bolt life firing DoD standard ammo

its like a scene from space balls...
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They do, but at higher intervals than HK, i dont have the numbers off the top of my head but you could replace an m4 for close to what it cost to replace a HK bolt,lol.

While I am not in any way saying that the HK is a bad weapon.  the Marketing job that HK pulled with their 416 should be studied in all major business schools for the net hundred years.

They should of just went with the LMT EBCG and called it a day. funny thing is that they decided it wasn't worth the extra money to buy the EBCG. Fast forword a couple years, everbody wants a gun that has a bolt that is 4 times as expensive with less bolt life firing DoD standard ammo

its like a scene from space balls...
View Quote
The HK bolt uses higher quality steel than C158.

No way is it breaking bolts before the M4.

The M4 has a bolt life of 3,000-6,000 rounds according to Crane.

A basic M4A1 costs $678 from FN, a 416 bolt costs the civilian $330 from hkparts which is a stupidly overpriced website.

So you are making stuff up to sound important.

Because I can buy 2 HK bolts from a place that purposely rips civilians a new one for the price the government pays for 500,000 M4A1s.

If the government needed 500,000 416 bolts it likely would be a few dollars more than a standard bolt.

@m4hk33
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A basic M4A1 costs $678 from FN, a 416 bolt costs the civilian $330 from hkparts which is a stupidly overpriced website.

Because I can buy 2 HK bolts from a place that purposely rips civilians a new one for the price the government pays for 500,000 M4A1s.

If the government needed 500,000 416 bolts it likely would be a few dollars more than a standard bolt.
View Quote
What steel is the M27 using?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Only thing we know publically is it comes from Aubert & Duvall.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
There actually have been reports of M27 bolts breaking before the conventional M4 bolts, when using M855A1. Seems the M27 is shearing lugs at a higher rate, due to the M855A1 being a hotter round.

Here is one such report.

And here is more of an opinion piece that touches base on the numerous new issues we are experiencing, when combining M855A1 and the M27.

ETA: OP already touched base on the first article.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There actually have been reports of M27 bolts breaking before the conventional M4 bolts, when using M855A1. Seems the M27 is shearing lugs at a higher rate, due to the M855A1 being a hotter round.

Here is one such report.

And here is more of an opinion piece that touches base on the numerous new issues we are experiencing, when combining M855A1 and the M27.

ETA: OP already touched base on the first article.
View Quote
I think it may be related to the piston impulse and pressure curve of the powder.  Opening the bolt while still under heavy loading may be causing issues with the lugs.  It that's the case (and the issue hasn't already been solved by the newer lower pressure powder loads), it's possible a different gas port/buffer combination could help solve the problem.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think it may be related to the piston impulse and pressure curve of the powder.  Opening the bolt while still under heavy loading may be causing issues with the lugs.  It that's the case (and the issue hasn't already been solved by the newer lower pressure powder loads), it's possible a different gas port/buffer combination could help solve the problem.
View Quote
How small of a gas port can the 416 run? It's already using a .061" gas port.

It also has a 8lb action spring and 5.3oz buffer.

To small of a gas port and it won't overcome the heavy buffer spring, to heavy of a buffer spring and it won't have enough gas to cycle.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To small of a gas port and it won't overcome the heavy buffer spring, to heavy of a buffer spring and it won't have enough gas to cycle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think this is akin to the statements that others have mentioned in the past, about the 416 platform not really being what everyone thought it was cracked up to be.

The standard M4 is being beaten a bit, by the new round, but it still is lasting longer than the M27 at this point (While using M855A1).

With the M855A1 being the new reality for the Marines, it might be time for them to ditch the M27 and field either product improvements on the standard M4 or grab an off the shelf upgrade with a KAC setup of some sort.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those are questions for engineers to answer.  My guess is you could go to an 8oz buffer on the current gas port and it would cycle just fine with the M855A1 that was breaking bolts.  The only time it might be an issue is in extreme cold.

Other alternatives include bolt material changes and cam pin channel changes.  I'm interested in seeing what the final fix is.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Those are questions for engineers to answer.  My guess is you could go to an 8oz buffer on the current gas port and it would cycle just fine with the M855A1 that was breaking bolts.  The only time it might be an issue is in extreme cold.

Other alternatives include bolt material changes and cam pin channel changes.  I'm interested in seeing what the final fix is.
View Quote
Sounds like it's time to fix the issues and replace the M4.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:51:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sounds like it's time to fix the issues and replace the M4.
View Quote
I've got no problem replacing the M4, even at increased cost.  I would prefer to be issued an M27.  That said, it needs to be compatible with M855A1. 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard their bolt steel isn't all it was cracked up to be.

Buh dum tsssss!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've got no problem replacing the M4, even at increased cost.  I would prefer to be issued an M27.  That said, it needs to be compatible with M855A1. 
View Quote
It depends on what testing finds. The issues may be blown out of proportion as we have no one here who knows of the M27 is really having issues outside of the known chamber face issues.

If it's the chamber face just do away with the OTB chamber face and problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
is that a realistic number? are guys with military issued weapons actually breaking bolts at that rate?

cuz.....i've got AR15's with way more than that but not any with full auto use...so guessing that is a factor too?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It embarasses dyneema type plates ;)

Also I think the powder in M855A1 was designed specifically for DI, so it could potentially be a problem in any piston gun.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

is that a realistic number? are guys with military issued weapons actually breaking bolts at that rate?

cuz.....i've got AR15's with way more than that but not any with full auto use...so guessing that is a factor too?
View Quote
I don't go past 5,000 on my home defense rifle(s).  After that they can live out their days in a range gun until visual damage is observed.  Theirs a SOCOM presentation floating around dealing with some of the shorter bolt life experienced in the M4/MK18.  I know I saw some LWRC replacement bolts in some MARSOC MK 18's back in 2012/2013.  They only used them for a short bit though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
According to the 2006 SOCOM data it is.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
From what I have read MK318 is more accurate than the M855.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#32]
The problem is the ammo not the weapons.  According to TM 43-0001-27, the chamber pressure for M855A1 is 59,000 PSI, M855 is 54,000 PSI and M193 is 52,000 PSI. All of the firearms listed in the previous post were designed before M855A1 was fielded.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The problem is the ammo not the weapons.  According to TM 43-0001-27, the chamber pressure for M855A1 is 59,000 PSI, M855 is 54,000 PSI and M193 is 52,000 PSI. All of the firearms listed in the previous post were designed before M855A1 was fielded.
View Quote
understood, but the weapon should serve the ammunition, not the other way around

and redesigning weapons isn't a bad thing.  considering we've been using the same basic technology for about a century-and-a-half, I'd welcome any research and development
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
M855A1 chamber pressure is now 54,209 PSI with a port pressure of 16,700 psi.

Even with these new numbers the M27 struggles with the round.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top