Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2017 10:22:50 AM EDT
hi guys,

i'm new to this site and i can't seem to find threads recommending piston driven AR15 to buy.

i'm in the market for buying an AR15 that's completely built (i'm not interested in scratch building) and my budget is max at $1800 but would rather do $1500.  i don't want a short stubby barrel, but the standard length barrel or maybe a bit longer

what say ye?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#1]
LMT or PWS are fine choices. Both offer options that fit your requirements.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#2]
ahhhh, too new, what does LMT or PWS stand for?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#3]
ahhh, google is my friend :)  

i didn't see any LMT complete piston driven AR for anything less than $2300, waaay over my budget

other ARs i should look at look at ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ahhh, google is my friend :)

other ARs i should look at look at ?
View Quote
Nope...Those will do.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I forgot about LWRC, but I'd consider LMT and PWS first. I wouldn't be afraid to check out used options to meet your budget.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#6]
what about a Barret REC7
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#7]
PWS at your price point.  LWRC above.  

PWS is good kit.  You can't go wrong.  Barrett and LMT more expensive (unless I'm missing something.  Every option named is high end, don't misunderstand.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
sorry to be that guy, but if you're newer to the AR scene, why do you feel the need for a piston rifle? It wasn't designed to do that, so anything is an afterthought. Sure there are companies that make it work, but it's expensive and proprietary. You can get a really nice Direct Impingement (DI) rifle for that much money. And an AK/Mini 14/garand if you want something with a piston, too.

Sorry, genuinely curious. I'm also an advocate of not making an AR fold in half, either, even though I really want a shorty version of my SBR for CCW.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an Adams Arms upper, an LMT upper, and four PWS uppers that I run. Most of my PWS uppers are for SBRs and run suppressed. Without a doubt I say go PWS for complete rifle. If LMT, you can but the upper separately ($1,400) and mate it to a complete lower of your choosing. Only issue I had with any of them was some minor carrier tilt on the LMT, but that eventually stopped with minimal scuffing on the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:21:30 AM EDT
[#10]
LWRCI IC SPR is a amazing rifle and has never let me down
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LWRCI IC SPR is a amazing rifle and has never let me down
View Quote
Love mine, it's a buyers market, deals are out there.

Either way, buy what you can afford. New fancy rifle with no ammo = no fun.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
LMT = Lewis Machine & Tool

PWS = Primary Weapons Systems

Of the two, PWS is built in the greatest state in the nation, so that's what you should go for.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't overlook Ruger and SIG. Both make good solid piston guns that will likely be less expensive than some other options. You can spend the extra money on an optic and/or ammo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's another thing, I really didn't get into LWRC because of short stroke piston operation. I tried them initially because of nitride barrels, nickle-boron coated carriers and other parts, fit and finish, CS reputation. I've been pleased.

It would be great if one could try before you buy, some things will just fit you better. I find that rule the strongest in handguns and gear.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't overlook Ruger and SIG. Both make good solid piston guns that will likely be less expensive than some other options. You can spend the extra money on an optic and/or ammo.
View Quote
Agreed....

I might add, the new DD V7 sure is sexy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Agreed....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed....

X3
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Take a look at the Ruger SR-556 Takedown.  It is within your budget (top end) and has quick change barrels that remove in 2 seconds.  It comes with a back pack that everything can break down into for transport.   It is piston driven, and very reliable.   I have a couple LMTs as well, and I love those.  But to get within your budget, Ruger is a good choice.

SR556 Piston Rifle
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Take a look at the Ruger SR-556 Takedown.  It is within your budget (top end) and has quick change barrels that remove in 2 seconds.  It comes with a back pack that everything can break down into for transport.   It is piston driven, and very reliable.   I have a couple LMTs as well, and I love those.  But to get within your budget, Ruger is a good choice.

SR556 Piston Rifle
View Quote
What I find quite surprising about the 556 Take down is how well the gun works in 300BLK. Conventional thinking is that only a pistol gas system will work and/or a piston system can't be reliable in Blackout. But Ruger seems to have it figured out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What I find quite surprising about the 556 Take down is how well the gun works in 300BLK. Conventional thinking is that only a pistol gas system will work and/or a piston system can't be reliable in Blackout. But Ruger seems to have it figured out.
View Quote
Interesting line of thought. My 9.75" PWS 300BLK SBR has been 100% on commercial and (regrettably) reman ammo. Granted it is a pistol length piston system. I have some new handloads (subs and supers) that I will try out this weekend when I head to the farm for some therapy, last I tested them on a 16" carbine system the supers ran fine but the subs were struggling to lock the bolt to the rear. My suspicion to the culprit was gas system length.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Long time lurker...

As well as the brands mentioned, there's Adams Arms (street price for their Tac Evo 16" mid piston ~$1,200), and Patriot Ordnance Factory (POF).
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:y
View Quote
Lewis Machine and Tool
Primary Weapon Systems

Both fantastic rifles, I am partial to LMT
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:20:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Black Rifle Arms is worth a look.  They only make uppers and conversions, but they're of excellent quality and their CAPS system is awesome.  Multiple gas settings.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Black Rifle Arms is worth a look.  They only make uppers and conversions, but they're of excellent quality and their CAPS system is awesome.  Multiple gas settings.
View Quote
This! Only piston systems I run after going through several others.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Long time lurker...

As well as the brands mentioned, there's Adams Arms (street price for their Tac Evo 16" mid piston ~$1,200), and Patriot Ordnance Factory (POF).
View Quote
Yeah, I have a deep seated hatred for POS, oops I meant POF. Well, no difference. Their CS was like going to the DMV also.

I had the unfortunate displeasure of having one of their 7.62 rifles. Was glad to see it gone.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#25]
PWS
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top