Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2017 12:15:30 PM EDT
Greetings Gentlemen,

I'm very seriously considering ordering a LWRC IC 10.5 in upper for an SBR today.  I like idea of an adjustable gas system for use with a suppressor.  

The only thing holding me back is PWS finally has their 11 inch upper in stock and the price on the PWS is slightly less.  

LWRC strikes me as the more stable company.  They have both domestic and foreign government contracts.  PWS's long delayed roll out of their latest model causes me to question whether they are having problems in management.

I considered the LMT, but the price is more that $500 above either the LWRC or PWS.  

Perhaps a Noveske switchblock upper instead of either? Or even a gemtech suppressor bolt carrier in a DI upper as an alternative?

Let me know your thoughts.  Most interested in SBR experience, but would love any thoughts on these options.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I hunt predators and hogs with my SBRs. I use SLR gas blocks and they work fine. Truth is that once you shoot suppressed you don't shoot unsuppressed much, the simplicity of adjust the gas for the upper suppressed works for me.

A Micro Gonah would do the job.

Lighter is better, imo, that means DI for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Please see the link

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_543/282807_MicroMOA-status.html

Govnah gas blocks are hard to get currently. Pretty much non existent until amphibian finds help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Please see the link

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_543/282807_MicroMOA-status.html

Govnah gas blocks are hard to get currently. Pretty much non existent until amphibian finds help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had issues with my PWS SBR upper.  In fact I broke 3 bolts in under 20 rounds.   All three times they answered the phone and an RMA was on the way.  Turn around was quick too.  

Final time they really tore the upper down and found the root cause.  Any rate they fixed it up perfect, runs great on semi and auto.  

Of course I wish I didn't have the issue (s) to begin with, but they took care of me to my satisfaction.   I do shoot it suppressed, but not all the time.  Without the can it's quite handy too.  

Opinion on my history with PWS could go either way depending on how you want to read it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both an M6IC-SPR and a Mk1 Mod2 11", both are fantastic guns.  I do feel like the PWS was a much better value, even if the M6 does have a few features I prefer, such as the lower (which won't have any bearing on your situation).  Both companies have been around awhile now, and I have replacement parts for both systems, so I'm not too worried in that regard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I own LWRC and Adams Arms complete rifles and uppers. Both 16" and SBR lengths. If you go LWRC make SURE you go with a model that has an adjustable gas block. The LWRC models that don't have an adjustable beat the crap out of the small gas piston system parts. I have had to change springs and piston cups after 200 rounds on my LWRC when shooting suppressed, as have many others. That is for both 16" and SBR lengths.

By comparison my $569 AA basic rifle has an adjustable gas system that is tuned perfectly to shooting suppressed and non suppressed. Same for my 11.5" AA Evo upper. I have run thousands of suppressed rounds through both AA rifles and they have been flawless and look and function like new. Not a single hiccup, absolutely flawless. Particularly impressed with my AA 11.5" upper suppressed. I got it on sale on the AA website for like $500.

My LWRC rifles are 3x the cost of my AA rifles and I'm totally unimpressed trying to run suppressed. I'm sure if the gas is adjustable on the LWRC it will be much better. I don't know because I don't have that model. But I will NOT run my LWRCs without a adj gas block suppressed. Before you buy and spend a small fortune, check with someone who has and adj LWRC gas block rifle and see how they have fared and how the small piston parts hold up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
PWS gets my vote
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a PWS Mk112 and love it. I've had zero issues.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top