Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2017 10:58:17 AM EDT
I just got my SA basic piston kit the other day which I plan to build on an X-Products non-reciprocating side charging upper

I went to drop the Bolt Carrier (no bolt or pins just the carrier) into the upper to see how they fit and it got stuck about 1/3 of the way into the upper! I had to pull on it pretty hard to get it out, I've never had a BC do this before in an upper.  I don't have a calipers to check measurements, and didn't have time before going to work to see if the BC would slide in my DI upper, so I'm not yet sure if the BC or the upper are out of spec or both. I know these are both  companies with some cool products but this is not acceptable. Has anyone run into this issue with either a Superlative Arms Bolt carrier or an X products upper?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the MAS Defense side charge upper with the SA kit and it works fine. I also have the MAS upper with POF one piece bolt carrier and with that I had issue with the one piece gas key sliding into upper so I had to radius the upper where the trap door is slightly to get the carrier into the upper. The MAS defense looks like the same side charging upper as the x products.
https://m.imgur.com/a/1l5mn
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the same issue, hopefully I can apply the same fix.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:48:40 AM EDT
[#3]
So I actually took the inverse solution and took the dremmel out and shaved down the carrier key around the side and top of the shoulder.  The main reason is that my standard DI carrier and key hand no issues with fit, so it seems that the upper was within spec.  Though the SA piston carrier does fit in my other upper it does have noticeably higher and slightly wider shoulders on it's integrated piston key than a DI key.

I finished building the upper for it last night, and the results at that it works, though I may have to shave a hair more as it hangs up when cycled all the way to the rear. Seems it still pinches a little at the back of the upper. A good old slap up on the bottom of the lower receiver seems to get it free.  Alternatively I may just try to wear it in with some dry cycling.  I still have to build the dedicated lower for it to finish off the rifle before I can take it out to the range.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8dU70Uady76V0p3ZmRRbG9DdzA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8dU70Uady76YnY5ZjlBSlItZ0E
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top