Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/23/2017 7:05:48 PM EDT
I have a couple of AA uppers from when I was on the piston bandwagon. Curious about installing DI barrels on the uppers. The gas tubes seem to fit through the op rod holes. Am I overlooking some factor that would make using these uppers for DI a really bad idea?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
The AA gas blocks are pinned to the bbl. I don't really understand the question if your asking about using a stripped AA upper?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a couple of AA uppers from when I was on the piston bandwagon. Curious about installing DI barrels on the uppers. The gas tubes seem to fit through the op rod holes. Am I overlooking some factor that would make using these uppers for DI a really bad idea?
View Quote

Using an AA upper receiver with a DI barrel should pose no issues
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:30:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I converted my DI barrel to GP.
You just have to line up the gas port correctly to the hole. No biggie
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I assume you are wanting to use the AA upper to build a DI AR15.

I believe the OPs concern is that a AA piston upper has different dimensions compared a DI upper. The deviation would be located within the gas tube channel of the upper receiver. Per AA website: "Receiver hole has been cut to .180" eliminating the need for a receiver bushing".  The AA retrofit kits use a bushing on the back end of the upper gas tube hole in the upper. So that is what would be special about a AA piston dedicated upper is that the hole would not have been bored out.  In a DI upper, this hole is much wider.

I do not know for sure, but the gas key on the DI BCG may crash into that inside part of the AA upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top