Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2017 11:03:40 PM EDT
Do they run as clean as short stroke guns? The only experience I have with long stroke is AKs and they really get dirty pretty quick IME.

While short stroke like Scar, MCX, ARX100, and other short strokes stay very clean inside around the BCG.

Pics welcomed!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
PWSs stay just as clean as any other GP AR.
The crud, unburnt particles, and gasses are sent out the front out of the gas block. Barrel fouling is on par with anything else.

AK's tend to get filthy because most AK ammo is inexpensive but the tradeoff is it is filled with cheap, dirty burning powders and corrosive primers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
They run just as clean as other piston guns.
The exhaust port is in the piston tube, aft of the gas block. The majority of the crud that usually comes into a DI chamber is dumped here.
I have owned LWRC and PWS. However, not at the same time. I find the PWS to be balanced better and lighter in weight. Recoil pulse is less than the short stroke. The long stroke system does not have the metal to metal impact that the short stroke does, pros and cons to the piston and DI system
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no comparison, Piston guns run much cleaner DI guns. Piston guns are so much nicer than DI guns suppressed. Completely different experience. After 1 mag suppressed with DI the gun is literally filthy. It looks like it has hundreds of rounds through it. Freaking mess. Piston is a non-event.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The most I've ever run through my 16" 7.62x39 PWS AR upper in a single range session is 120 rounds. I clean the rifle after every session (an easy operation that takes very little time in comparison with my DI uppers).

Currently running Wolf 7.62x39 ammo. For that ammo and number of rounds, everything past the 2nd piston** (and towards the BC), is clean. Maybe just a thin film of carbon that is easy to swipe away with a cloth. The bolt, BC and parts of the upper receiver they inhabit are clean, with just a bit of carbon and some brass on the bolt face, and a little carbon on the bolt lugs. Easy to wipe away.

I really like the system. Works well in my experience.

** The PWS piston actually has 2 separate "piston" parts that expanding gas from the barrel port would see; one at the far end of the piston rod which gets the bulk of the carbon fouling, and one an inch or 2 closer to the BC.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, clean after every session, if that makes you happy.

I have 3 PWS, 2 older Mod 0 and a Mod 1.
The Mod 0 are my trainers which get shot about 3 times a week. Each gun gets run for 6 months then I clean it and switch to the other gun.
Yes, the piston rod is very dirty after 6 months and by then the bolt is almost as dirty as a DI gun after 30 rounds

I don't ever shoot my DI ARs anymore. They were sitting waiting for Hillary to win and me cash in so now they just sit all lonely never get to go anywhere

It is odd to think how my pistols require more cleaning than my AR pistons. Plus the unique design is what allows me to go so long. I would never run a standard piston 6 months without cleaning. The carbon build up is in a small chamber with a small piston while the PWS is a long op rod that gets the carbon collection so there is no place that affects operation.
It is similar to the AK but is actually sealed away from the BC area where the AK is loose fitting and tends to bleed carbon into the action
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I am getting very curious about the PWS gas system.  I might have to pick up an upper to try sometime along.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input!

I guess I may look for a MK114 on sale. I really like the FSC so that's a plus for me that PWS sells them already pinned and welded on.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a PWS MK114 and planning on adding another. The piston rod and head does get dirty, but bolt/carrier stays very clean and the lube does not dry out like DIs after 200 rds. I don't really clean it per say, just more like pulling out the carrier and wiping down the piston head and put a little lupe on the carrier. Thats all. Been doing this every 500-600 rds. Gun has a little over 3k rds on it now and never an issue. Its very accurate to boot too. One of these days I am just going to keep shooting it and not bother to clean the piston just to see if it impacts reliability.

I also have an LWRC IC and it runs clean like the PWS. Its piston cup design is advertised as self cleaning. I haven't shot it enough to test their claim.

Also, my DI just sits now. I only keep it around because of sentimental value.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input!

I guess I may look for a MK114 on sale. I really like the FSC so that's a plus for me that PWS sells them already pinned and welded on.
View Quote

I bought one last week.......should hit the shop this week
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I bought one last week.......should hit the shop this week
View Quote

Any previous experience with PWS rifles?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes,......why?

A Mk107 and a Mk116 ....both mod1
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]
PWS customer service is top notch!

I had one of their pistol uppers, ran great.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes,......why?

A Mk107 and a Mk116 ....both mod1
View Quote

Just curious. I like the specs of the Mod2 better but have never even seen or held a PWS in person.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Some have stated they actually like the Mod 1 gas system better.
Mine should hit the shop tomorrow
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the MK114 in .223 and a MK116 in x39.. LOVE them both, but I shoot the x39 more due to how cheap ammo can be in that Caliber.. NOT REALLY a fan of the Mod 2's I wonder why..
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked my Mk114 Mod 2 up yesterday.

I kinda like it......I do see an aversion toward the Mod 2

Range time Friday
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm running both an gLWRC ICA5 and PWS MK114 Mod 2.  Really love both platforms for each of their unique characteristics.  Mod 2 is just so well balanced and I dig picmod.  The whole pws system is super slick looking and operates smoothly!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah if I can get my MK114 or Pick up another MK114 Mod 1 Upper with the PicMod Rail, that'll be awesome.. lol But I DO have a 13" PicMod on my BCM Complete rifle that previously had a KMR on it totally digging it,  very light..
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I prefer the LWRCi design.  My PWS upper didn't seem to like my lowers due to the BCG design, had to get it its own lower and a PWS receiver extension since it was hanging up inside other extensions.  Just something to note, works fine now.

DI guns get dirty faster, but shooting suppressed everything gets dirty so I end up cleaning them at about the same rate (basically after everytime I shoot one suppressed), haven't put enough rounds through any one of my ARs in one sitting to experience where they foul up at different rates.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I prefer the LWRCi design.  My PWS upper didn't seem to like my lowers due to the BCG design, had to get it its own lower and a PWS receiver extension since it was hanging up inside other extensions.  Just something to note, works fine now.

DI guns get dirty faster, but shooting suppressed everything gets dirty so I end up cleaning them at about the same rate (basically after everytime I shoot one suppressed), haven't put enough rounds through any one of my ARs in one sitting to experience where they foul up at different rates.
View Quote
On both of my PWS Rifles, I'm using the POF Anti-Tilt buffer tube,and it's been awesome over the PWS eye sore of a Buffer tube lmao..
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#21]
The new Mod 2 buffer tube kicks arse
I like is so much, I bought one to install in my LMT MWS308
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The new Mod 2 buffer tube kicks arse
I like is so much, I bought one to install in my LMT MWS308
View Quote
I don't have the Mod 2 Buffer Tube, but I do have the Ratchet Lock Castle Nut and End Plate on the MK116 x39 rifle.. I'm really digging it lol
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

On both of my PWS Rifles, I'm using the POF Anti-Tilt buffer tube,and it's been awesome over the PWS eye sore of a Buffer tube lmao..
View Quote
I was just happy something worked, I was getting pissed off.  The whole anti-tilt bolt carrier nonsense was turning into a "solution" in search of a problem.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:33:00 AM EDT
[#24]
One has to admit, that PWS abomination of a buffer tube with that crazy locking block is an eyesore.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One has to admit, that PWS abomination of a buffer tube with that crazy locking block is an eyesore.
View Quote
Since PWS Dropped the Dual QD mount on the Mod 2 Buffer Tube, and went with the Ratchet Lock castle nut and QD end plate, think I'll try the Mod 2 Buffer Tube on my next project, instead of the POF Anti-Tilt
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I really think it's the best buffer tube I've ever seen.
The ratchet lock castle nut deal is a game changer!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I really think it's the best buffer tube I've ever seen.
The ratchet lock castle nut deal is a game changer!
View Quote
Did you get a chance to shoot it yet?  

Also do you have a 14.5 DI to compare it to?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Decided to sell the 14.5" upper, bought a 16" upper.
I may be moving in the future and want the ability to change the device an run a can at some point.
New upper is to arrive Thursday
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Decided to sell the 14.5" upper, bought a 16" upper.
I may be moving in the future and want the ability to change the device an run a can at some point.
New upper is to arrive Thursday
View Quote
Came from the factory with a pinned Surefire?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#30]
No,......had a local guy remove the Mod 2 FSC and put the Surefire I had on it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No,......had a local guy remove the Mod 2 FSC and put the Surefire I had on it.
View Quote
Decided to hang on to it I see
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Well.......a shooting buddy asked me to pull it and give him a few days
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I may be interested if he passes. Also seeing many awesome deals on KAC uppers in the EE.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#34]
The Knights Mod 2 uppers are awesome for a DI
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:16:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Knights Mod 2 uppers are awesome for a DI
View Quote
I don't know if I want a rifle to stay clean much longer or a bolt that last much longer...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm not going to debate the PWS against the KAC......

As far as bolt life, a standard bolt will go around 10k.
I've worked aircraft for nearly thirty years. I understand the ideology of preventative maintenance. No part will last forever, not PWS or Knights.
I have more than one rifle, I highly doubt I will wear out what I have in my remaining lifetime.

The PWS is intriguingly me because of the AK like operating system. But I do despise the Commie AK.
The Mod 2 is damn light for a piston gun, it's balanced well. Some have complained about it lacking a FA.
Funny how no one complains about a FA not being present on the LMT MWS308 or the Knights SR25, two damn fine battle proven rifles!

In the end......it's your call. There are merits for both systems.
If we entered some "Red Dawn" like scenario, and I could only have one rifle, it would be a DI

But that really is another invalid point. If a gun broke in a scenario like that, I would not fix it, I'd find another rifle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a PWS MK109.  In a SHTF situation, its a paperweight.  I shoot only subsonic suppressed.  It gets dirty even thinking about shooting.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a PWS MK109.  In a SHTF situation, its a paperweight.  I shoot only subsonic suppressed.  It gets dirty even thinking about shooting.
View Quote
Shoot a DI that short and see how dirty it gets.

They all get dirty suppressed
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Have any of you guys shot 5.56 ammo out of these uppers..?? How did it perform Accuracy wise.. Asking because I have some IMI 5.56 69gr that didn't do so well in my MK12 Mod 1.. So I'm just trying to shoot them all before I grab more IMI 77gr.. But my MK114 LOVES the Wolf Gold.. surprisingly good groupings..
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:57:22 AM EDT
[#40]
My Mk114 Mod 2 rifle, Mk116 Mod 1 and Mk116 Mod 2 uppers shoot Aysm 77gr OTM best

Every 5.56 factory load had shot ok, but I've never gotten better than 1.5" groups, 2"  is usually the norm.
The Asym is consistently right at .5-.75"......I believe most of that is me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My Mk114 Mod 2 rifle, Mk116 Mod 1 and Mk116 Mod 2 uppers shoot Aysm 77gr OTM best

Every 5.56 factory load had shot ok, but I've never gotten better than 1.5" groups, 2"  is usually the norm.
The Asym is consistently right at .5-.75"......I believe most of that is me.
View Quote
Well the only way is to give it a try right.. Heading to the range this Saturday definitely going to give this 69gr a try.. Just sucks that I bought a few hundred for my MK12 but it don't like it lol.. Hope the MK114 will give me better grouping.. We will see and I'll have to report back lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#42]
What kind of groups are you getting with the 69gr 5.56?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What kind of groups are you getting with the 69gr 5.56?
View Quote
Out of the MK12..?? I was getting 2.5-3" and that wasn't acceptable lol.. But with the 77gr 5.56 I was easily getting .5-2" easily..

Also if I may add.. EVEN the Wolf Gold had better groupings than the 69gr =\ even tho I was 3" high from POA.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well the only way is to give it a try right.. Heading to the range this Saturday definitely going to give this 69gr a try.. Just sucks that I bought a few hundred fr my MK12 but it don't like it lol.. Hope the MK114 will give me better grouping.. We will see and I'll have to report back lol
View Quote
How did it go with the 69g IMI in your MK114?  I have the same rifle and was thinking of picking up some IMI. They appear to have a little more zip than other 223 ammo with the same SMK bullet. Btw, I can get 5-shot groups of about 1 to 1.5 MOA with 55 grain Wolf Gold when I do my part. That's with a 4x scope, prone and just resting on the magazine. I'm sure a better shooter on bags and a 9x scope could easily get sub-MOA with Wolf Gold. For 30 cents a shot, it's really hard to beat. I'm curious about the 69 IMI in the context of shooting 500 yards in wind and wondering how much better it might buck the wind than the 55s.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How did it go with the 69g IMI in your MK114?  I have the same rifle and was thinking of picking up some IMI. They appear to have a little more zip than other 223 ammo with the same SMK bullet. Btw, I can get 5-shot groups of about 1 to 1.5 MOA with 55 grain Wolf Gold when I do my part. That's with a 4x scope, prone and just resting on the magazine. I'm sure a better shooter on bags and a 9x scope could easily get sub-MOA with Wolf Gold. For 30 cents a shot, it's really hard to beat. I'm curious about the 69 IMI in the context of shooting 500 yards in wind and wondering how much better it might buck the wind than the 55s.
View Quote
69g will do much better in the wind at 500 and the 77g better than 69g. Wolf Gold isn't Sub MOA or MOA consistently in any rifle with any shooter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the only way is to give it a try right.. Heading to the range this Saturday definitely going to give this 69gr a try.. Just sucks that I bought a few hundred fr my MK12 but it don't like it lol.. Hope the MK114 will give me better grouping.. We will see and I'll have to report back lol
Sorry for the late reply.. BUT the IMI 69gr did DAMN GOOD.. Didn't get the numbers on the groupings, but from the looks of it, I was impressed..
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top