Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2017 5:39:07 PM EDT
I'm talking about this one: https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/22lr-ar-conversion-kit-bravo-grey/

I just ordered one and I'm trying to think logically on why it says it wouldn't work in a piston upper. I don't plan on trying to retro fit it as I have a DI upper. I'm just trying to go through a thought process.

As far as I know these 22 conversions do not rely on gas returning to cycle the bolt. They are blow backs. They also do not rely upon the buffer/spring as the kit is a complete system.

The only thing I can guess is the piston might over extend thus not allowing the bolt/carrier to insert into the chamber.

I have a AA and HK MR556 piston system, and you can easily remove the piston. So I would think logically, a piston wouldn't be problematic to fit these kits.

What do you guys think or experienced with such a kit?

And no, I am not allowed to purchase any more uppers. So I can't get a dedicated 22.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You are correct on the piston. 
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Remove the piston, but be aware 22 is dirty and will create a lot of fouling.  Had to clean the hell out of the AA GB to get the piston cup back in and rotating smoothly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't know if my gun is the exception or not but this is what happened to me. I have a AA 16 inch mid length and purchased a 22 cal conversion kit from CMMG. no problem with the gun cycling. just turned the piston to 3rd setting suppressor. after 2 trips to the range i sold the kit and mags at a local gun show. accuracy out of a 16 inch barrel with a 1 in 7 twist was horrible. couldn't keep it on paper at 50 ft. this gun is a tack driver with 223 and 5.56 at 100 yards. even tried subsonic 22 cal ammo with no better results.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know if my gun is the exception or not but this is what happened to me. I have a AA 16 inch mid length and purchased a 22 cal conversion kit from CMMG. no problem with the gun cycling. just turned the piston to 3rd setting suppressor. after 2 trips to the range i sold the kit and mags at a local gun show. accuracy out of a 16 inch barrel with a 1 in 7 twist was horrible. couldn't keep it on paper at 50 ft. this gun is a tack driver with 223 and 5.56 at 100 yards. even tried subsonic 22 cal ammo with no better results.
View Quote

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad to hear it works on a piston upper. When you say you turned it to the 3rd setting, you mean the gas? Mine only has two but then again I'm not even sure why the gas returning is important at all?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not. The third position on the standard AA gas block is off, it blocks any gas from working on the piston.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top