Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2017 11:55:37 PM EDT
I've tried searching and have only come up with a few people discussing the high price of the bushing, I'm having issues getting a bushing from AA, it seems as if they aren't too interested in selling parts.
Does anyone know of an alternative part, or is someone making a replacemen?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an AA upper. What bushing?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an AA upper. What bushing?
View Quote

The OP is talking about the gas piston rod bushing that comes with the kit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
$7 is too expensive for you?
Not to sound rude or condescending, but if seven dollars is expensive, you have the wrong hobby.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/299639/adams-arms-gas-piston-drive-rod-bushing-ar-15
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
$7 is too expensive for you?
Not to sound rude or condescending, but if seven dollars is expensive, you have the wrong hobby.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/299639/adams-arms-gas-piston-drive-rod-bushing-ar-15
View Quote

That's the stop bushing for the spring, I need the guide bushing that goes into the gas tube bore in the upper receiver.
First issue is that I can't get any response from AA, secondly, they want $14 for the bushing and $25 to ship it...
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#5]
My mistake, you are correct.

Still, $39 is not awfully expensive. If you had the drawing for the part, a machine shop would end up charging more than that.
Just noticed you bought this kit used.......check with who you bought it from.

Still......$39 is cheap for a rifle part.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My mistake, you are correct.

Still, $39 is not awfully expensive. If you had the drawing for the part, a machine shop would end up charging more than that.
Just noticed you bought this kit used.......check with who you bought it from.

Still......$39 is cheap for a rifle part.
View Quote

The previous owner damaged it removing it from his upper.
Well, I agree to a point, but $25 shipping for a part that's smaller than a 1/4 nut, is kind of extreme. It was really never so much about the price, it's about my inability to get ahold of AA, I need one regardless and short of going to a machine shop, I'm out of options, that's why I created the original post.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well, I agree to a point, but $25 shipping for a part that's smaller than a 1/4 nut, is kind of extreme. It was really never so much about the price, it's about my inability to get ahold of AA, I need one regardless and short of going to a machine shop, I'm out of options, that's why I created the original post.
View Quote

Your other option is to see if AA still has dedicated gas piston upper with the hole that is designed around the piston rod.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you make one, remember it should be surface hardened to about 30-N 75, or through hardened to Rc 58 to 60.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Deleted redundant
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#10]
It looks like they finally got around to responding to my messages, got one on the way.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Moot point since you have on on the way, but superlative arms says the bushing is optional for their system.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Moot point since you have on on the way, but superlative arms says the bushing is optional for their system.
View Quote

Aren't they essentially the same kit?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Aren't they essentially the same kit?
View Quote

They are similar in that they are both short stroke pistons.  There are more differences than similarities and not really part compatible.  The gas blocks are different, the piston design is different, even the carrier key is machined differently, i.e. a dimpled key face on the SA and flat face on the AA

I did measure the end of the piston that contacts the strike face of the carrier on both systems for another user and those dimension were the same so I guess they also have that in common.  Seeing as that dimension is the same I would assume the bushing would work interchangeably.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Great info SilentBob'

I did not realize those two were so different,
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great info SilentBob'

I did not realize those two were so different,
View Quote
Glad to help. As far as compatible systems; the syrac and superlative arms systems should be compatible. My understanding is the syrac kit is essentially a rebranded superlative arms.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top