Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2017 11:41:45 AM EDT
So it's pretty obvious that the gas block gets hot, and it's never been a problem because I have the bad habit of holding my gun at the magwell with my off hand. I want to correct that problem and hold my gun at the far end of the rail. Given that I have a 10.5" SBR with the Samson Evo rail that gets ridiculously hot around the gas block too, what should I do?

I don't have gloves and wouldn't mind buying some to make this work out , but I think the gas block/ rail will eventually get to hot to handle even with gloves.

This may sound ridiculous but I've been thinking about wrapping the rail/gas block with some left over header wrap from my car. It's fiberglass and is rated for 2000 degrees. But if it's stupid and it works it's not stupid I've been told.

What do you guys think ?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Try DEI heat reflective tape inside the rail just around the gas block?

I have used some of their products on my turbocharged car to help control heat under the hood. Good stuff.

Also may try going to a sheet metal fabrication shop like where I work and just ask them to roll a highly polished ring (on the inside surface) that's the O.D. of the I.D. of your hand guard, spray paint the outside with high heat flat black or color of choice and use simple screws in the modular holes to hold it in place around the gas block.

Just two ideas off the top of my head.

if a company copies my idea, I want a small monthly check damn it.

ETA: Just noticed the post under the active threads and only just now realized you have a piston AR, not sure if that would complicate things or not.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try DEI heat reflective tape inside the rail just around the gas block?

I have used some of their products on my turbocharged car to help control heat under the hood. Good stuff.
View Quote

That was my idea ,  but because of the piston gas block I would need to wrap it around the rail all the way around ... would look.. special to say the least
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a larger ID rail.  I have the evolution that ends just in front of the gas block.   Never noticed the heat like you describe.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you're intent is to start using a "C" grip. On a SBR, that may be a bit awkward. Not enough front handguard length.  
Since you said your SBR'er your rifle and it's not a pistol, why not get one of the shorty handstops?
Keeps your offhand extended and pushing out about as far as one would need, while keeping your fingers / hand off the gas block.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a larger ID rail.  I have the evolution that ends just in front of the gas block.   Never noticed the heat like you describe.
View Quote

I have the same setup and have never had an issue with heat either. I'd be more worried if the gas block didn't get hot
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So it's pretty obvious that the gas block gets hot, and it's never been a problem because I have the bad habit of holding my gun at the magwell with my off hand. I want to correct that problem and hold my gun at the far end of the rail. Given that I have a 10.5" SBR with the Samson Evo rail that gets ridiculously hot around the gas block too, what should I do?

I don't have gloves and wouldn't mind buying some to make this work out , but I think the gas block/ rail will eventually get to hot to handle even with gloves.

This may sound ridiculous but I've been thinking about wrapping the rail/gas block with some left over header wrap from my car. It's fiberglass and is rated for 2000 degrees. But if it's stupid and it works it's not stupid I've been told.

What do you guys think ?
View Quote

Spoiler alert.........

ALL GAS BLOCKS GET HOT
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for the super late reply.

I think what I meant to say is that my gas block gets so hot that it gets my rail so hot it's impossible to touch. Like I said , I have the Sanson Evo so it has the cut out around the piston block and I can't see anywhere that it touches. Maybe it's the barrel nut transfering heat up trough the rail?

Also I use a suppressor which I imagine makes the problem worse.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an AA Carbine with an Evo rail  and I've never had any issues with the Evo rail getting hot and that's with my barrel so hot you couldn't put your hand anywhere near it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like you are doing mag dumps for it to get that hot? The only time my Adams piston builds got that hot was when I proofed them with mag dumps to test reliability.

On an SBR I'd go with gloves and a vertical grip. It might not be as fashionable to run one like that but it will protect you from the heat while giving a lot of control.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top