Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2017 11:30:21 AM EDT
I have been wanting a piston SBR for a while to attach a can to.  I finally got my Form 1 approved.  I was going to order the Adams Arms 11.5" upper, but I just saw a review stating that if you attach a 51 tooth muzzle device, you can't remove the piston.  Playing around with my Adams Arms 16" upper, I can see how that could be the case (the piston comes out the front of the gas block).  I'm actually attaching a Silencerco Specwar, but I think the muzzle devices are about the same diameter.

So, any other ideas for a SBR piston system that would let me clean the piston / op rod when my Specwar flash hider is attached?  I'm also trying to avoid quad rails, but still want some other way to attach a light.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at PWS.  It's a long stroke gas piston, and the piston is removable with the bolt carrier.  My Mk112 works great suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Right now, I have a M6-SL (LWRC) upper. I'm having the barrel cut down to 12.5, with use of the AAC.
Something like this:

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The Osprey piston kit I put on my 7.62x39 SBR works just fine with my Specwar can.  I never remove the piston for cleaning and it cycles just fine with a standard JPSCS gen 1 buffer.  I did drill the gas port to 0.125" since it refused to cycle with the stock 0.088" hole.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Right now, I have a M6-SL (LWRC) upper. I'm having the barrel cut down to 12.5, with use of the AAC.
Something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/vZlplr7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HICKz7x.jpg
View Quote

i've had some LW pistons and always thought they were over gassed. i had an m6a3 16" that i cut to 12.5 and didnt touch the gas port,  it ran like a champ with an H buffer. it made a good suppressor host as well.

depending on your buffer set up now and how it throws spent cases, maybe try it out as is, once you cut it.

i like the LW design, no piston plug to dick around cleaning. i have one of the older m6a3 18" DMR uppers with over 6000 rounds through it and i've never cleaned the piston parts. they still disassemble just fine and easy.

my only complaint is that they tend to chew up piston return springs but those are cheap and easy top get. i keep extras in my pistols grips, just in case. funny thing is, they'll shoot fine even with a collapsed or broken spring.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]
pws here   runs good
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

i've had some LW pistons and always thought they were over gassed. i had an m6a3 16" that i cut to 12.5 and didnt touch the gas port,  it ran like a champ with an H buffer. it made a good suppressor host as well.

depending on your buffer set up now and how it throws spent cases, maybe try it out as is, once you cut it.

i like the LW design, no piston plug to dick around cleaning. i have one of the older m6a3 18" DMR uppers with over 6000 rounds through it and i've never cleaned the piston parts. they still disassemble just fine and easy.

my only complaint is that they tend to chew up piston return springs but those are cheap and easy top get. i keep extras in my pistols grips, just in case. funny thing is, they'll shoot fine even with a collapsed or broken spring.
View Quote

My LWRC was no where near over gassed and would even have issues running some of the underpowered ammunition. The newer IC line changed the cup design and the springs actually run for a long time now, seems the older designs had a bit more of a negative effect on the return spring.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
the Adams Arms 11.5 upper will work with the ASR mount used by the Specwar
that is the set up i am running with no issues. western sport has the them on sale

https://www.westernsport.com/product/adams-arms-11-5-carbine-tac-evo-5-56-piston-upper/
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My LWRC was no where near over gassed and would even have issues running some of the underpowered ammunition. The newer IC line changed the cup design and the springs actually run for a long time now, seems the older designs had a bit more of a negative effect on the return spring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well thats an interesting twist. i've had 3 m6a3's that were over gassed. my only a3 left is that 18" DMR upper and it seem to be gassed appropriately.

have a new IC SPR that is way over gassed. i tun a vltor a5 buffer tube and thier h3 buffer to get ejection to 3 o'clock.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:08:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

well thats an interesting twist. i've had 3 m6a3's that were over gassed. my only a3 left is that 18" DMR upper and it seem to be gassed appropriately.

have a new IC SPR that is way over gassed. i tun a vltor a5 buffer tube and thier h3 buffer to get ejection to 3 o'clock.
View Quote

Possibly is the different in the gas plug. I have the adjustable gas block via the IC-E and not the "self regulating" SPR. I've also seen frequent comments from people that their upper has issues cycling under powered steel cased wolf and some PMC spec ammo.

ETA: Neither my Six8A2 or Six8 PDW are over-gassed either, both of which lack an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have been wanting a piston SBR for a while to attach a can to.  I finally got my Form 1 approved.  I was going to order the Adams Arms 11.5" upper, but I just saw a review stating that if you attach a 51 tooth muzzle device, you can't remove the piston. 
View Quote

ABSOLUTELY 100% FALSE! I run an 11.5" AA upper with a AAC 51T FH and remove my piston all the time. With the suppressor attached the piston can't be removed for sure. But that would be true with ANY suppressor attached. You probably mis-read it.

Anyway my 11.5" upper, which I purchased 2 years ago direct from AA was $550 complete! It was a scratch and dent model with ZERO scratches or dents. A couple of thousand suppressed rounds later and it is still flawless. I have NEVER had a single malfunction with this build.

Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Black Rifle Arms can make you a piston upper out of your choice of barrel, upper receiver, and bolt.  They provide the handguard, piston, and bolt carrier.  They also have a tool-less adjustable gas system specifically for use with suppressors called CAPS.  You might look them up.

Blackriflearms.com
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
PWS would be my choice but I admit to having limited experience with them. I shot one that belonged to a factory rep and it was nice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Black Rifle Arms can make you a piston upper out of your choice of barrel, upper receiver, and bolt.  They provide the handguard, piston, and bolt carrier.  They also have a tool-less adjustable gas system specifically for use with suppressors called CAPS.  You might look them up.

Blackriflearms.com
View Quote

I know a lot of people have had success with retrofits but I don't trust them. I would want a system engineered together.

That said someone I know put an AA piston conversion onto an issue M4 and put 12,000 rounds of M855 through it on a range in Iraq. He was satisfied with it though he's satisfied with DI as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know a lot of people have had success with retrofits but I don't trust them. I would want a system engineered together.

That said someone I know put an AA piston conversion onto an issue M4 and put 12,000 rounds of M855 through it on a range in Iraq. He was satisfied with it though he's satisfied with DI as well.
View Quote

They provide fully assembled uppers with their components as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They provide fully assembled uppers with their components as well.
View Quote

I know. But the timing and porting of a DI barrel with a piston kid would give me pause.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 on going with PWS. Their gas systems are very nice and works well suppressed in my experience. I also have a ARAK-21 that I run suppressed and it's not bad either although a little heavy but it doesn't bother me.

Look at Superlative Arms piston kit they look nice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Interesting... two people saying the AA 11.5" will work for me... okay, I'll probably order one when the scratch & dent comes up next. 

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, I did it.  Ordered a 11.5" Tac Evo AA upper to match my 16" upper.  Used the "price match" tool at Bud's.  $651 shipped with insurance.  I don't like that they charge extra for insurance, but I feel like I need it when I make purchases through them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Okay, newbie question on this SBR.  What is the best way to keep my hand from slipping in front of the barrel on a Samson Evo rail?
I see this at Brownells: Evo handstop

I figure I would have to use it with the flat part forward to give my hand plenty of room on the handguard.  No?

ETA:HarrisMasher, I see you are using a afg.  Do you ever worry about getting your hand in front of the muzzle when you don't have the can on the gun?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Blackriflearms.com
View Quote

This, they are coming out with a LPR system too.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top