Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/4/2016 12:27:36 PM EDT
I'm thinking about a Commando style carbine with an Osprey/Bushmaster/Ares style retrofit.

Anybody else tried modding stock handguards to fit?

This is neat:607 modern
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Osprey will be the least compatible of those. Ares and bushmaster would be the best, however I don't think you'll be able to find either of those anywhere
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#2]
How about a mock dissipator with a superlative arms?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Stock handguards (round or triangular) will not fit over an Ares Defense / Bushmaster piston kit without severe modification to provide clearance for the piston housing.  Additionally the stock heatshields will interfere.  The Ares kits are still available from Ares Defense.  The Ares kit is delivered with a set of M4 Carbine style handguards that have been designed and manufactured to provide the necessary clearance for the piston housing.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about a mock dissipator with a superlative arms?
View Quote

Superlative Arms would be the most compAtible retrofit. I have a mock Sissy under a BCM KMR. While it's a tight fit it still works.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm willing to cut up some heat shields and then some.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
for the osprey 416 the handguards come with the kit and all that has to be done on regular M4 handguards is where the gas tube tract is you widen that to fit over the gas cyclinder,,,,magpul makes carbine,midlegnth and full size that will fit over a piston system
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Superlative Arms is the closest thing to a regular lo-pro gas block DI system, without adding weight. I'm another one that has it under a BCM KMR. I have put at least a few thousand rounds through it both suppressed and un-suppressed. Runs like a raped ape.
View Quote

It also has surprisingly better recoil management than my other DI rifles, which is interesting.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Magpul handguard is compatible with Ares, Bushmaster and Adam Arms piston.

It can be done for the Osprey piston, just need to machine the heatshield each side by .250".
This way the snout piston part sliding/moving freely.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:20:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Osprey fits under skinny round guards if you remove the upper heat shield and dremel out a small amount of plastic.  I've had two 5.45's with skinnys since the early days of Osprey when they used a bolt on gas key, since then they've revised to a 1 piece machined carrier with integrated key.  Rumor was around 6000-10,000 rounds some gas key Allen heads were breaking, so they eliminated that flaw.  I love the setup! I did not use the fat M4 diameter guards the kits came with. Sorry no pics, my stuff is still in hibernation until spring ;<)
Keep in mind the longer your barrel the smoother your action will be since the Gas port is further forward, adding a slight pressure reduction and time delay. My 16 inch carbine actions "feel" much more mechanical and clunky compared to DI before the conversion.  I think this is true with any of these piston systems. Totally worth it on 5.45 with corrosive ammo since the BCG stays so clean!  Oil and grease stay put too.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top